Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

Honchey 03-04-2013 06:58 AM

Ok Ladies, I just figured it out that if you make a 2.5" center and make the strips 1-1/8" it comes out to a 12" finished block...I haven't made a pineapple block yet so I guess the red corners are added to square up the block after adding the strips??? I figured out if you need 5 inches on the sides you divide the common denomination of 1/8"s evenly across the 5" that = 40 -1/8" divide that by a number that goes into 40 evenly which is 8. 8 rows of 5/8" = 40 add the seam allowance and you have 1-1/8" strips......You will have 8 rows of 5/8" strips finished...

OR We could check with GGal to see if a 3" (2.5" finished) red center with 1.25" (3.4" finished) strips would work for her... What do you say GGal...I would think that if you want the blocks to be uniform we need to know what size finished center 2" or 2.5" center?

QuiltingNinaSue 03-04-2013 07:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So, I made the block like the instructions said on GG's block; 2 1/2 inch center, red, and 1 1/4 inch strips of muslin and color like this:[ATTACH=CONFIG]399725[/ATTACH] and it ocmes out 11.5 square. solution: possible slashing of 1 inch around it. or redo with different math. this is my third try that do work out, surprised myself by doing it. Garden Gal, is that ok with you or shall I redo?

QuiltingNinaSue 03-04-2013 08:28 AM

I must say, Garden Gal, the instructions were easy to follow on the pineapple block. I did not think I could do it, then on the third try, it happened. It surprised me. Sometimes when something challenges us, we can take it on or pass on it...it was what you wanted so I gave it a try. And after a good night's sleep, I can do it again. Still enjoying the trail ride, all your comments, and being on QB together.

Anne, thanks for the figures; Janie and her dh had figured out the math earlier on in this discussion, but I had done this by then. Will see what Garden Gal wants to do, the picture may be worth 1000 words. I do have all the blocks chosen for each of you and colors desired noted on each. So I hope I am on the right track of this trail ride. Let's meet in the RV for Hot tea or coffee.

gardnergal970 03-04-2013 09:22 AM

Honchey....I admire your versitility if math! Let's go for the 3 inch center and 1 1/4 inch strips. Doing anything to the eighths is just asking too much.
QNS...again if you have finished your block, don't redo it. I'll make it work. The same goes for anyone else. It was my error.

QuiltingNinaSue 03-04-2013 10:37 AM

Pardon me, GardenGal, but is the extra 1/2 inch going to make the square an inch more at the outside edge? I think, and I will try this, cutting a 2 1/2 inc square and 1 1/2 strips with yield another inch on each side and that is all that we need to have a 12 1/2 inch square. You all with EQ7 can figure that out, too.

QuiltE 03-04-2013 10:45 AM

Anael ... houeswork and cleaning are over-rated. Go back to quilting!! :)

GGal ... now you know why I was asking about what pattern to use! For something like Pineapples I think PPing would be good, to help keep it all nicely squared up.

Will be waiting to see/hear what the final decisions are on this!

Honchey 03-04-2013 11:06 AM

QNS, I'm working on it right now....

Anael 03-04-2013 11:42 AM

QNS, lovely block! It's not wonky though so GG won't know it's from you :D :D

QuiltE, in this case it's not over-rated, it was under-rated ;) It really needed to be done but now I'm looking at crips clean curtains and when I open them (which I don't) I would see clean and shiny windowpanes! Tomorrow is another day, the citchen curtains needs to be washed as well. They're close to the dishwasher and I noticed some coffee stains.

oksewglad 03-04-2013 01:15 PM

Re: pineapple block. I'm in EQ now to investigate. Then I remembered I added to a tute her on board.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...k-t140626.html

Go to post # 33. Pdf is #39, but alas the finished block is 6 1/2" or a finished 13" block if one would keep adding rounds. Starting center 2 1/2" and 1 1/4" sides.

PS Made it to DH MD appt. no trouble--more snow tonight and tomorrow. DH is on strong anti inflammatory drug and therapy. Back in 2 weeks and will see if surgery is necessary.

Honchey 03-04-2013 01:25 PM

I have a 12" pineapple that I printed out but I don't know how to send it so it's the proper size for you guys... I can 1/4 it then you can print 4 of them and tape them to pp them. how's that sound...not to figure out how to do it...oh is this fun or what????? I'll send it to myself first to see if it comes out the right size...