Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

Anael 01-09-2013 11:20 PM

Wow Mirabelle, that's stunning! And the quilting !!!!! Outstanding and from the looks of it you didn't do QAYG. How did you handle it? I can't imagine doing FMQ like that on a big quilt like yours!
The bees are lovely, I can see a quilt like yours for my future grandtwins (is that a word?) so that means another one on my bucket list :D Do you still know where you got the bumblebee designs? I would love to know!

dublb 01-09-2013 11:40 PM

Oh Mirabelle! Gasp! It is just darlin'!:thumbup:

mirabelle 01-10-2013 12:17 AM

Anael it is only 60 inches square so not that big to handle. Sorry I can't remember where the designs came from, I think I have had them for a while

thanks everyone for your kind words

janRN 01-10-2013 05:49 AM

Mirab, that quilt is awesome!! You have such great quilting in it. I can't imagine doing that on a DMS-just beautiful.

Jeanie, my BIL raises (is that the right word?) bees and makes the most delicious honey; tastes nothing like store-bought.

QNS, the Pam Bono patterns are on the "free" part of her website, not just club members.

QE, I love the mailbox you use for a sharps container. I want one, too. I'd agree with your late DH-would love to have a phone booth especially one of the old wooden ones.

carriem 01-10-2013 05:52 AM

Mirabelle---that Bee quilt is very cute. Whoever gets it should be very happy.

QE--Well, I asked DH this morning and his response was "well I owned a post office once, but traded it for a turkey fryer, so the least I need is a mail box". :) Then he said he is working on an old pay phone but since he works at a telephone office that one isn't so hard to come by. So....no real exciting plans....yet!

*Regarding owning a post office, it was a little one (12x12) attached to a little country store we bought (store was closed so it was the "old" clubhouse before we moved). When we bought the property the PO was still open, which was *really nice* when I needed to mail something...out the front door and around the corner! After the PO closed someone asked what we were going to do with the building. In the end DH helped load the building on a trailer and move it about 2 miles north to it's new home. The guy says "I have this turkey fryer we've used once" and DH says "sold"...both things happened around the same time it wasn't really a trade but we always joke that was the "deal". :)

carriem 01-10-2013 05:54 AM

Jeanie--DH would like to have bees someday. We live across the road from a county park and there are all sorts of wildflowers growing there...he thinks it would make a good honey. This is a dream for long after the kids are raised.

QuiltE 01-10-2013 06:06 AM

MiraB ... forgot to answer you about the Nanaimo Bars. Looks like they were in the ancient past, as they are in post #450 in this thread.

JeanieG ... now we're hearing your aggie past!

JanRN ... Found it one day in a thrift store and thought, now this could be handy. Most Pig E. Banks would not have a large enough slot for the rotary blades to go through. It's handy to just reach across and "deposit" my offerings! Yes, an old wooden one was what he wanted. The plan was to put it into our farm workshop, complete with a phone. We found a few, but could never find one that was in good enough condition. Most were just plain junk!! :) There was one right near me that is at the end of a long laneway ... and is used for a shelter while kids wait for the school bus. And now it looks like you need to schmooze MrCarrieM to fulfill your dream!!! :)

CarrieM ... great story from your DH!! Though I might get worried just what the man might bring home someday! :) Now that pay phone would make for one giant Pig E. Bank ... but NOT for sharps, real moo-la!! :) Hey, don't wait til the kids have flown the coop ... start those bees now and make it a family affair. Memories to be built!!! :)

gardnergal970 01-10-2013 06:13 AM

Mirabelle...what beautiful work! You almost make me want to get an embroidery machine!
carrie...my daughter started keeping bees a couple years ago. She now has the bumblebee block painted as barn art on her garden shed! I have a friend who is keeping bees right in town. The hives are on the alley by the garage.
Quilte...When I was a kid, I had a mailbox for my first bank. I see they still have the, too. Did you look at the finishing instructions of the Bono BOM with the final layout?
it only takes changing color of thread and I'll have the BB blocks ready to sign but they just keep hanging out on my design wall. Maybe today.

QuiltingNinaSue 01-10-2013 06:28 AM

Mirabelle, what beautiful work!! Too bad we cannot silently bid on that for your elementary school, but at least, we had the opportunity to see it since you were great to share it with us!! And QuiltE is stirring up things again!! There's always one in every crowd!! More proof for what I said back in #710.

Our kids first money bank was a silver pig. No bees here please. I react to the sting...Another day...another opportunity to sew a few stitches..make some progress forward, I hope. Have a good day!!:):o:thumbup:

QuiltE 01-10-2013 06:38 AM

GGal ... yes I saw the finishing instructions with layout. I always have a hard time imagining what a layout looks like in REAL fabric. IMHO line drawings with colour on them just doesn't give me a clear vision.

QNSue .. Moi? stirring things up? Which reminds me that I have a batch of cookies to stir up today! :) My first Pig E. Bank was a cast iron elephant that split into two pieces to open. Oh how I'd love to have that now. We also had one that was an army tank.