Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS Quilt-Along Week 22 Discussion Page for Blocks 43 & 44 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-quilt-along-week-22-discussion-page-blocks-43-44-a-t85853.html)

Honchey 12-28-2010 07:34 PM

Week 22--We've been at it now for 5 months !!! I can't believe it! We should have a really nice stack of blocks--you noticed I said "should" I'm about 10 blocks behind--I've had too much to do and just couldn't sit and enjoy sewing. I really get alot of pleasure seeing the blocks come together and it just wasn't working for me so I had to take a break from it. Anne

janRN 12-29-2010 05:19 AM

I agree. I took about a 3 week break from FWS blocks over the holidays. For the last 2 days I've been making some and now I'm enjoying them again (for the most part LOL). I still can't figure out how to put #43 together. Will post it in pics and maybe someone can tell me where my piecing is wrong--the sections won't go together.

deranged_damsel 12-29-2010 05:54 AM

Garden Path was a horrible little block! I was following along on the instructions and got to Y seams before I realized that the pattern was NOT the same as the picture! the block in the photo was assembled in four quarters.... Grrrrrr.... was to late for me. hope this helps someone to not make my mistake.

weezie 12-29-2010 07:25 AM

I'm ahead until mid-April. I confess that I won't miss doing them; it was a struggle to finish up the last few so I could take a winter break from them and do some catch-up on other projects. Just as I was completing the last few FWS blocks, one of my sewing machine lights flickered & died. It must be replaced by the dealer, so I had my machine serviced at the same time. All told, it took 5 trips to the dealer to get everything done right (don't ask!), but my machine is now raring to go again, only on something different from the FWS; I'm wanting to do some machine embroidery for a while.

Honchey 12-29-2010 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
I agree. I took about a 3 week break from FWS blocks over the holidays. For the last 2 days I've been making some and now I'm enjoying them again (for the most part LOL). I still can't figure out how to put #43 together. Will post it in pics and maybe someone can tell me where my piecing is wrong--the sections won't go together.

janRN, Make it easy on yourself and redo the center square--Cut eight T# 13"s instead of the T #7"s sew them (2 # 13 short side to one # 19) to form a larger triangle which will be sewn to the#44 side of the corner triangle. You should now have one complete quarter of the block. repeat this 3 more times then sew the quarters together to get the finished block.

I hope this helps. I haven't started this block yet so I don't have any photos to show the steps yet. Anne

QuiltingNinaSue 12-29-2010 08:10 AM

#43 was paper pieced; and 44 was fuzzy cut by me to show the areas where some men's eyes will travel as he admires a pretty lady. Mae West, upper left of block, saying, Come on, boy, come up to my appartment...and cowboys who admire a lady's seat in the saddle, saying she has a nice "seat" on her horse; of course, we ladies like roses who can look like a beauty in its own setting, but we do have our "thorny" side too just like the roses (or cactus). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Honchey 12-29-2010 08:21 AM

QNS, What a great block! and the story behind it is so true.

janRN 12-29-2010 09:43 AM

Thank you-all of you did such a good job on this block. I'm off to the sewing room now to re-do this one. I WILL conquer it!!

Evie 12-29-2010 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
Garden Path was a horrible little block! I was following along on the instructions and got to Y seams before I realized that the pattern was NOT the same as the picture! the block in the photo was assembled in four quarters.... Grrrrrr.... was to late for me. hope this helps someone to not make my mistake.

I have to confess I cheated -- I DID NOT (DO NOT!) do Y seams. I did straight seams and it looks just as good, if you don't look too closely. :-) You'll see what I mean when I post my pictures.

pookie ookie 12-29-2010 09:54 PM

5 months! If I had put as much effort into my P90X as I put into these blocks, I'd have a really nice butt now.

Hopefully, I'll get this week's done... uh... this week. I unexpectedly have projects for other people.