Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   How many BOM's are you doing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/how-many-boms-you-doing-t179749.html)

40MPHK9 02-17-2012 01:38 PM

How many BOM's are you doing?

As a relatively new quilter, the 'block of the month' concept is somewhat new to me. While I have been sewing since I learned how in sixth grade--many, many years ago--I just recently finished my first 'real' quilt top [it's at the LAQ's right now!!...should be getting it back SOON:D--can you tell I'm excited??:o].

Anyway, I saw on here that there was a 'BOM', and decided to join. It's the 'calendar year' BOM, and I have already learned paper piecing, which I did not know before! :thumbup:

Then I saw the Craftsy BOM...so I decided to do that one, too.

And just this week I discovered the "Hello Sun" BOM, and those are just too darn cute, so today I made the January and February blocks. These are rather fun to do, as they incorporate kind of 'crafty' stuff other than sewing.

So I am doing three BOM's, and just wondered who else is doing multiple ones.

Oh, and while reading QB, I saw the 2011 BOM--the house one--and WOW, are those ever cute--I want to do those, too! Too bad I just joined, or I would've had those all done already.

loves_2_quilt 02-17-2012 01:44 PM

I am doing one this year. I must not manage my time as well as others so I limit myself. I work 40+ hours a week, help my daughter with her two young boys while she is in school, church, and a husband.

40MPHK9 02-17-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt (Post 4983986)
I am doing one this year. I must not manage my time as well as others so I limit myself. I work 40+ hours a week, help my daughter with her two young boys while she is in school, church, and a husband.

Well, you certainly have a lot more on your plate than I do!! If I did all that you do, I probably would not have time to sew at all!

vickig626 02-18-2012 05:20 AM

I did the same thing when I first started quilting a few years ago. I've been sewing since I was a kid too but quilting is very different. I think at one time, I had 3-4 BOM's going and a couple are still not finished. I enjoy doing BOM's when I know I'm going to learn something new.

So have fun. If you can keep up with multiple BOM's, go for it !!

gypsylady5 02-18-2012 07:47 AM

So far only one - the Quilt Story one here on our board. But I also do a swap with my daughter's group and am looking for a couple more to keep me busy. Am thinking about doing one with Rhonda. I love sampler quilts the best because I don't get bored sewing the blocks. I'll have to check for a couple more and see about joining them.

nclauri 02-18-2012 01:08 PM

I am doing the Craftsy BOM and I just stumbled upon a blogger who is showing how to hand sew 6" quilt blocks she is on week three. So I am going to try that also. (I think the site is whynotsew.blogspot.com).

dublb 02-19-2012 11:31 AM

I started the Pony Club in Jan & wow I've learned a-lot! When I saw Quilt Story's BOM I thought "wow that'll be fun." So I'm doing 2.

LuckyGemini 02-19-2012 06:25 PM

I am doing 3 BOM's this year.
A Moda - in batiks.
CoraJo's (local LQS) all hand sewing - in blues & greens & yellows.
Craftsy in multiple colors.
All in queen size.

happyquiltmom 02-22-2012 04:30 AM

I am currently doing 2:

Cotton Club from Marcus
Penny Mat of the Month - LQS where I work

I have a couple from last year that still aren't finished:

Aunt Grace Circle of Friends - Vickie Bellino of Bloom Creek
Patriots in Petticoats - Common Threads Quilting

And, of course, I just signed up for another (starts in June):

Vintage Rouge - Vickie Bellino of Bloom Creek

Oh, and I have 3 Buck-a-Block (Thangles) tops that need to be quilted yet.

I think I'm addicted...

franc36 02-22-2012 04:36 PM

I, too, am doing three block-of-the month quilts. I started with the Crafty BOM. I am doing a mystery BOM and Merry, Merry Snowmen. I enjoy BOMs because I learn new skills. I am especially enjoying the Snowman blocks because they have lots of needle turned appliqué which I had never done. I hope you will enjoy your BOMs as much as I am enjoying mine. I am making some other quilt tops also. The BOMs give me a nice break from my regular quilting.