Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   IceLeopard Insanity 2: the return (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/iceleopard-insanity-2-return-t312667.html)

IceLeopard 10-02-2020 07:29 PM

Better save that for another project. No component finishes larger than 3 inches and all of them are pieced in some way. A directional will not work. I recommend subtle batiks and hand-dye, blenders, and maybe solids. (I rarely work with solids -- too boring.) Most of my work emphasizes the pattern of the piecing, rather than the pattern of the fabric.

One way you could use that directional is as a palette for your colors. Let's say it's big red poppies on black. Match your working fabrics to the reds and black and greens of the poppies. Then you might be able to use your directional as a border and everything co-ordinates.

Barb in Louisiana 10-03-2020 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by IceLeopard (Post 8422136)
Better save that for another project. No component finishes larger than 3 inches and all of them are pieced in some way. A directional will not work. I recommend subtle batiks and hand-dye, blenders, and maybe solids. (I rarely work with solids -- too boring.) Most of my work emphasizes the pattern of the piecing, rather than the pattern of the fabric.

One way you could use that directional is as a palette for your colors. Let's say it's big red poppies on black. Match your working fabrics to the reds and black and greens of the poppies. Then you might be able to use your directional as a border and everything co-ordinates.

Thanks for such a quick response. I think I will do that.

Jeanine 10-03-2020 05:52 PM

I might join you. I just started one but am already behind. Trying to keep extra busy in the evenings rather than sitting here as if in a coma. laugh. So, I'm checking out my fabrics again. Always the most fun part.

givio 10-04-2020 10:37 AM

Ice, In post #9 are your color suggestions listed in your order of #1, #2, #3, #4 so we can use the correct color for the correct yardage?

IceLeopard 10-04-2020 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by givio (Post 8422501)
Ice, In post #9 are your color sugrgestions listed in your order of #1, #2, #3, #4 so we can use the correct color for the correct yardage?

Yes. Whatever colors you decide to use for #1, you will need 1 1/2 yards and so on.

givio 10-04-2020 07:17 PM

Hm, I guess you didn't understand my question. For example, if your suggested color combinations are in the correct order, then 'pale green' or 'pale gold' would be #4, but you list #4 as the darkest color so that's confusing. The color combinations sound interesting, but if I chose one of them, then I'm not sure which color would be the one you suggest nice as scrappy or which one would be better as constant. So, then the consternation in knowing how much yardage comes in. The suggestion of black, white, gray, red seems obviously out of order, even allowing for #1 and #4 to be switched. Is it the two mid-range colors that look good scrappy and the light and dark colors that look good constant?

m-fay 10-04-2020 08:04 PM

Of your fabrics 1, 2, 3,4. Which one would be the standout or WOW colour please.

IceLeopard 10-05-2020 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by givio (Post 8422601)
Hm, I guess you didn't understand my question. For example, if your suggested color combinations are in the correct order, then 'pale green' or 'pale gold' would be #4, but you list #4 as the darkest color so that's confusing. The color combinations sound interesting, but if I chose one of them, then I'm not sure which color would be the one you suggest nice as scrappy or which one would be better as constant. So, then the consternation in knowing how much yardage comes in. The suggestion of black, white, gray, red seems obviously out of order, even allowing for #1 and #4 to be switched. Is it the two mid-range colors that look good scrappy and the light and dark colors that look good constant?

Yes, this exactly. I can't get to the examples that I saved in EQ 8, because that machine is now at my son-in-law's house being worked on. Sorry for the confusion.

IceLeopard 10-05-2020 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by m-fay (Post 8422605)
Of your fabrics 1, 2, 3,4. Which one would be the standout or WOW colour please.

#3. It doesn't have to be scrappy.

#1 & #4 are more or less your neutrals , and #2 uses the smallest amount of fabric in fairly small bits, so it doesn't really have a chance to stand out.

IceLeopard 10-05-2020 12:54 PM

Black/gray/red/white; navy/red/gold/white; cream/soft pink/green/fuchsia; cream/sand/emerald green/violet; sand/fuchsia/Caribbean blue/purple; white/lilac blue/mint green/purple; dark gray/royal blue/gold/pale green; turquoise/cheddar/red/pale gold.
Since there was confusion, I've reordered some of them. And yes, some of them have a light color as #1, and some of them have a dark color as #1. Just remember that your #4 is the background and plain borders. Even in these suggestions, you can swap the darkest color for the lightest.

I appreciate everyone's questions and patience. I learned a lot with the last mystery, and it looks like I'm still learning.