Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Jane Stickle Cyber Sew Week 8, K2, F9, F13, G11 and RS11 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/jane-stickle-cyber-sew-week-8-k2-f9-f13-g11-rs11-t37694.html)

Esqmommy 02-22-2010 09:09 PM

Here is where we will post block photos, construction ideas and other input on this week's blocks! I haven't finished yet, but hope to have them done by Wednesday evening to post. I'm sooooo sorry, but it caught me before I knew it. If anyone (LACELADY??) has their blocks done, it would be great to see them here asap!

Janstar 02-22-2010 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Week 8 blocks and triangle.

Week 8
[ATTACH=CONFIG]17560[/ATTACH]

Lacelady 02-23-2010 02:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are mine for week 8. I suspect week 9 might cause the most problems for some. If you ignore all the leaf/melon shapes for the moment, consider the rest to be background. I machined these as curved pieces, pin well, and because they are resonably gentle curves, they worked quite well for me, with the corners being more like a mitre. I have made a point of making oversize and trimming back afterwards, and this was a good one to do that, as far as I am concerned. Then I appliqued all the leaves/melons onto the background.

Esqmommy 02-23-2010 07:01 AM

Nice photos Lesley and Jan - what techniques did you use to applique the small diamonds on? What technique for the melons? We'd love any feedback!

Shemjo 02-23-2010 09:38 AM

Lesey and Jan, love your blocks! Have been waiting to see what I have in front of me. Thanks for sharing your treasures! I have printed the patterns and am lining up my fabrics, and finishing up week 6.

Lacelady 02-23-2010 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
Lesey and Jan, love your blocks! Have been waiting to see what I have in front of me. Thanks for sharing your treasures! I have printed the patterns and am lining up my fabrics, and finishing up week 6.

i use a sewline pencil to draw the shape onto the background, then needleturn the patches, following the lines. I cut the patch with quarter inch turnings, but trim a little as I go, to slightly less than quarter inch turnings, which cuts down on bulk, and snip into them if the curves are tight. (I didn't bother on these blocks, as they are fairly gentle curves). When I get to a point, I add a couple of extra tiny stitches right at the point, which hold it in place while I tuck in the turning into the start of the next side.

Janstar 02-23-2010 04:45 PM

On my pink block, G11, I fused them and machine appliqued them down. On the others I used the card board tute to get the shapes, then hand appliqued them on. The last one is just an easy PP.

sandpat 02-23-2010 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lesley and Jan...I love your blocks! They look great!

Here are mine for the week...I have to admit..F9 was the first time I've ever sewn a curve! I sewed the center part by pin, pin, pinning!, then appliqued the melons using the freezer paper method. The same method worked well on F13, but used BlueChicken's circle method for the circles. The diamonds on G11 were done with the freezer paper templates too...some of the points are not as sharp as I'd like, but they are ok. The Tri is pretty straight forward this week.

week 8 blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18495[/ATTACH]

Janstar 02-23-2010 05:12 PM

Gorgeous Patti! Your colors just draw me in, I love them!!

sandpat 02-23-2010 07:21 PM

Thanks Jan!