Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   January 1, 2013 - Whirling Star 2 direction's & discussion. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/january-1-2013-whirling-star-2-directions-discussion-t209785.html)

dd 01-24-2013 05:17 AM

Mine didn't print the seam allowance either. That didn't bother me so much. But without the 1" test square, I'm not sure they are printed to the correct size. Haven't tried making it yet.

Sparkling Lake 01-27-2013 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor (Post 5770594)
Sus, if you're PP there shouldn't be a problem. If you're doing the traditional just remember to make 4 segments like instructed & then 4 segments reversed (if you're using a specific fab for your star points)
you can do it!

I would like clarification on the info about 4 segments and 4 reversed. I am using one material for the star points and when I look at the picture I don't see that any are reversed. Is it when you sew them together?

mimiknoxtaylor 01-27-2013 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sparkling Lake (Post 5818121)
I would like clarification on the info about 4 segments and 4 reversed. I am using one material for the star points and when I look at the picture I don't see that any are reversed. Is it when you sew them together?

Yes, when I did one trad.way when sewing I realized that since they were all constructed the same my blue (which was to be all the star points ) would wind up with 4 more to outside edge. The inst state to "make 4 more segments in the same way". But take it from one who messed up-- reverse 4.
When doing the PP its not a problem.

Sparkling Lake 01-28-2013 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor (Post 5818269)
Yes, when I did one trad.way when sewing I realized that since they were all constructed the same my blue (which was to be all the star points ) would wind up with 4 more to outside edge. The inst state to "make 4 more segments in the same way". But take it from one who messed up-- reverse 4.
When doing the PP its not a problem.

Thanks Joyce. I will keep trying. I haven't tried PP yet but that is on my list. I only started quilting a few months ago. I have made 15 or so sample blocks but this one is definitely a new challenge! I have another problem that I need help on. When I try to sew the 1/4 area. where the three come together, I get a tuck in the one that I sew the other side of the triangle to. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Tulip 01-29-2013 06:33 AM

Patrice: This looks exciting!Printed off the PP templates from your post, thanks for doing that by the way! Question: Pg. 3 has 1/4 inch added to the templates, do I need to add the 1/4 inch to pages 1-2-4 to end up with the correct size block? Thanks for your help!

patricej 01-29-2013 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tulip (Post 5822460)
do I need to add the 1/4 inch to pages 1-2-4 to end up with the correct size block? Thanks for your help!

all of the foundation patterns should have printed with the 1/4" seam allowance.
when you print them again, click on the "Advanced" button in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
select the option to "Print as Image".
that should cause them to all print properly.

Tulip 01-29-2013 03:03 PM

Thanks Patrice, they printed just right!

Sparkling Lake 01-30-2013 04:05 PM

I have been trying to make the pattern and can't seem to get rid of the tuck when I sew the other side of the triangle to finish the piece. Can someone give me any ideas? I am new at this and haven't put 3 pieces together like this.

Andii 01-30-2013 04:54 PM

I wish I could help you, Sparkling Lake, but I did it paper pieced and it sounds like you are having trouble with the Y seams which I've never done. You might google Y seam tutorial and I'm sure something will pop up.:thumbup: I've got to finish mine tomorrow. Good luck.

TOOMANYUFO'S 01-31-2013 04:01 PM

Jinny Beyer's website has a tutorial. She says to start sewing from the inside out toward the outside of the block.