Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   January 1, 2013 Whirling Start 2 - Photo's. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/january-1-2013-whirling-start-2-photos-t209786.html)

rwquilts 01-16-2013 04:28 AM

Wonderful blocks Kathy and Cas! :)

DeborahH 01-16-2013 05:04 AM

All the blocks are so pretty. Ya'll are such an inspiration to this newbie. My question is how do you choose such coordinating fabrics? I go to the fabric shop and am lost with all the fabrics and what to choose and what will work with each other. I guess I just don't see how to choose a "theme"? How did ya'll learn to do that?

CAS49OR 01-16-2013 08:57 AM

Thank you Thimblebug. I bought some fabric yesterday and I am going to wash it all separately, at least the black and red .... anyhow, could I use three colors if I used two for the colors that touch in the middle and a third for the rest of the block?

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 5786615)
That's pretty cas..if you're using patrice's you do need the 4 fabrics like you used this time because of the different sizes on the spokes....it's very striking! I'm so enjoying each member's photos.... and have to admit it's hard to think we have another ½ month before our next pattern!

CAS49OR 01-16-2013 09:04 AM

Fun2Quilt, how exciting to be back to quilting! I dislike moving too, and have done it at least 40x. I think it's interesting how your block leads my eyes to see a pattern like a bigger whilrley-gig thingamajig with four inner points and four outer points. Cool! I bet I explained what I mean real well :confused:

It is really interesting how all the fabric choices make the same pattern look so many different ways. I sure love this project.

wildyard 01-16-2013 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by rwquilts (Post 5759267)
The blocks are all so different and pretty! Yum! Here is what I did for my January block. I think I may just make myself a girlie lap quilt! Go figure! For me! LOL!

Your square looks good enough to eat!!! So pretty and definitely girlie. I love your colors. Makes me think of the coconut bonbons I loved so much.

CajunBear 01-16-2013 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by DeborahH (Post 5789779)
All the blocks are so pretty. Ya'll are such an inspiration to this newbie. My question is how do you choose such coordinating fabrics? I go to the fabric shop and am lost with all the fabrics and what to choose and what will work with each other. I guess I just don't see how to choose a "theme"? How did ya'll learn to do that?

DeborahH, I just find a multi-colored fabric that I like and choose colors out of it that will compliment it. I love bright vibrant colors and have a hard time with lights! Or just choose colors you love and find ways to,make them work together, throw matching out the window and be bold!

Hugs,
Cajun

rural01 01-16-2013 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]388465[/ATTACH]
This was much easier the second time around! Thanks Patrice for your templates. Your block made so much more sense than the other one. Trouble is, I just got a new printer that set the margins and reduced the printout, unbeknownst to me. I got my block completely finished, simply by cutting according to the templates and sewing according to the finished diagram. Oops! It was about an inch too small. So, I made it again. I finally got the Y-seam down. Then I decided to rotate the quarters.

DeborahH 01-16-2013 12:47 PM

Hi Cajun,
Thanks for the advise. Where in LA are you from? I'm from Baton Rouge. My parents still live there. I love to visit.

CajunBear 01-16-2013 12:59 PM

My dad was from Baton Rouge but I am from Alexandria living in Tioga which is outside of Pineville, La,

Hugs,
CajunCajun

dogtrnr 01-17-2013 06:18 AM

I LOVE your fabric choices!!!