Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   New York Beauty Quilt Along Begins Oct 1st (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/new-york-beauty-quilt-along-begins-oct-1st-t199410.html)

Quiltaddiction 09-22-2012 12:06 AM

I would like to try these blocks too. I haven't done that much quilting yet and am new to the board but if you don't mind I'll tag along probably won't keep up but I'll follow the thread for answers :)

amh 09-22-2012 05:34 AM

Hi everyone. I have done one paper pieced quilt in a class where the instructor had all the templates and had us cut out the fabric and we were ready to go. Sewing them together is not an issue for me. I've collected all the fabric (it was all in my house, so I'm using this as a bit of a stash buster). BUT, I have a question. What is the best way to make a template for the cutting out the fabric? I did a search on the internet but found mainly how to sew the pieces together. There has to be an efficient way to cut out those pieces.

I know there will be seasoned paper piecers on this board, and am really looking forward to your wisdom.

Thanks.

amh

kristen0112 09-22-2012 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltaddiction (Post 5532106)
I would like to try these blocks too. I haven't done that much quilting yet and am new to the board but if you don't mind I'll tag along probably won't keep up but I'll follow the thread for answers :)

Welcome! Don't let the block seem too intimidating and go at your own pace :-). For my very first quilting project I selected a pattern that had Y seams a lot of them! And it was before there was an Internet chat board for help...I think that's what is so great about this board everyone has great suggestions!

kristen0112 09-22-2012 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by amh (Post 5532409)
Hi everyone. I have done one paper pieced quilt in a class where the instructor had all the templates and had us cut out the fabric and we were ready to go. Sewing them together is not an issue for me. I've collected all the fabric (it was all in my house, so I'm using this as a bit of a stash buster). BUT, I have a question. What is the best way to make a template for the cutting out the fabric? I did a search on the internet but found mainly how to sew the pieces together. There has to be an efficient way to cut out those pieces.

I know there will be seasoned paper piecers on this board, and am really looking forward to your wisdom.

Thanks.

amh

I don't use templates but I measure the piece add an inch and then cut it. So, for an example one of the triangle points may measure 3 inches tall and 2 inches wide so I would cut a rectangle 4x3 and then diagonally cut the block in half. Next week (my son 's birthday is today and tomorrow I am going on a 62 mile bike ride) I plan to illustrate the first block with pictures and dimensions for everybody :-)

thimblebug6000 09-22-2012 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by SulaBug (Post 5517522)
kristen0112............I love to post pictures, so here are the first three patterns that I have worked on. As you will notice with pattern #3, I have only finished one of the blocks, but I am looking forward to getting the other three done. I am going to visit my daughter & will be back home on the 24th, so I will get some more done up then.
Thank you everyone for looking, as I am having so much fun making these!!
:D :D :D :D

I'm loving your black & white blocks, I collected black/white/lime green this summer.... I'm wavering on joining!

amh 09-22-2012 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by kristen0112 (Post 5532745)
I don't use templates but I measure the piece add an inch and then cut it. So, for an example one of the triangle points may measure 3 inches tall and 2 inches wide so I would cut a rectangle 4x3 and then diagonally cut the block in half. Next week (my son 's birthday is today and tomorrow I am going on a 62 mile bike ride) I plan to illustrate the first block with pictures and dimensions for everybody :-)

Excellent. I'm so looking forward to that. Enjoy your busy weekend.

amh

Lynnejean 09-23-2012 08:38 AM

I am thinking about trying this.......Can you make the blocks larger than 8"? I would like 12" blocks so it would make a large quilt.

kristen0112 09-23-2012 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lynnejean (Post 5535149)
I am thinking about trying this.......Can you make the blocks larger than 8"? I would like 12" blocks so it would make a large quilt.

You could try enlarging the pieces but you would probably need to go to a FedEx Kinkos store as some of the prices will need larger paper. You might want to do more of each of the blocks to make it larger.

Lynnejean 09-23-2012 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by kristen0112 (Post 5535853)
You could try enlarging the pieces but you would probably need to go to a FedEx Kinkos store as some of the prices will need larger paper. You might want to do more of each of the blocks to make it larger.

Wait what am I thinking!........If I make 4 of each block and put them together then it is a 16" block....right?

kristen0112 09-23-2012 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lynnejean (Post 5536052)
Wait what am I thinking!........If I make 4 of each block and put them together then it is a 16" block....right?

Yes :-) we'll be making a total of 40 blocks.