Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   New York Beauty Quilt Along Begins Oct 1st (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/new-york-beauty-quilt-along-begins-oct-1st-t199410.html)

QM 10-15-2012 03:16 AM

When I find a downloadable pattern that I like, I download it right away. They have a tendency to go away.

Now that I've gone through the whole thread, what I have to say is WOW! everyone is doing a great job!

SulaBug 10-15-2012 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by QM (Post 5586509)
SulaBug, I really like the ones you've done.

Thank you QM for the nice compliment about my blocks. I love to paper piece & they have been really fun to do. I have already started on my third pattern for November. So far I have three of them made!! When you posted your smaller NYB piece of work, you really inspired me.
:D :D :D :D

kristen0112 10-16-2012 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 5581543)
Oh you stitch the seam allowance! I never thought of that! When I'm ready to start these blocks I will try that. Thanks Kristen!

It really helps :-) how is your other project coming along?

amh 10-17-2012 07:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally, my life has settled down a little bit. Car accident, car totalled. Good news is, I'm just fine. It has, however, been busy what with working, dealing with all the red tape of an accident, etc. etc.. I now have another vehicle, thank goodness -- taking the bus for 3 hours a day to get to and from work was somewhat annoying -- caught up on some reading though. My sanity breaks consisted of laying out the NYB blocks and sewing for a few minutes every day. Caressing fabric does have a calming effect. It's that or Valium, and I prefer fabric.

As I was sewing Block one together, I really didn't think that I liked the blocks, but they were all cut out, so I forged ahead, and when they were all together I was really quite happy with them. I made 5 of them, because I am going to make a quilt 6 block by 7 block quilt, so I need to make 5 of two of the blocks.

Here's the photos. One is the combination of Block Zero and Block One, and the other is Block One.

SulaBug 10-17-2012 07:21 AM

WOW!! I love your blocks set together this way. All of your colors are so pretty. It looks like you have been having fun making these beauties. Keep up the good work!!
:D :D :D :D

Originally Posted by amh (Post 5592079)
Finally, my life has settled down a little bit. Car accident, car totalled. Good news is, I'm just fine. It has, however, been busy what with working, dealing with all the red tape of an accident, etc. etc.. I now have another vehicle, thank goodness -- taking the bus for 3 hours a day to get to and from work was somewhat annoying -- caught up on some reading though. My sanity breaks consisted of laying out the NYB blocks and sewing for a few minutes every day. Caressing fabric does have a calming effect. It's that or Valium, and I prefer fabric.

As I was sewing Block one together, I really didn't think that I liked the blocks, but they were all cut out, so I forged ahead, and when they were all together I was really quite happy with them. I made 5 of them, because I am going to make a quilt 6 block by 7 block quilt, so I need to make 5 of two of the blocks.

Here's the photos. One is the combination of Block Zero and Block One, and the other is Block One.

kristen0112 10-17-2012 10:29 AM

AMH - so glad things are settling down and that you weren't hurt badly in the car accident! I LOVE your blocks they are beautiful! Thank you for sharing

nygal 10-17-2012 10:39 AM

Your blocks do look GREAT!! Are they batiks?

I haven't done any actual sewing lately. But I am getting my vintage Singer machine to sew!! I am working on the tensions to get the stitches just right.

Annaquilts 10-17-2012 10:45 AM

Yummy New York beauties!

meanmom 10-17-2012 12:41 PM

Wow looking at these blocks is killing me. They are all so pretty. I absolutely can't let myself start anything else until I finish a few things. My baby quilt just needs binding. I made a tetris quilt it just needs a label and I am only 2 behind now on my paper pieced stars. I should be able to start soon. Can't wait. A New York beauty has been on my list for some time.

amh 10-17-2012 04:36 PM

Thanks for the compliments. I'm really glad that I decided to piece along with some of you. Someone asked if the fabric was batiks. Yes, most of the fabrics are batiks. I had quit afew batik fat quarters from some project that never got started. I hope to use this as a stash buster, but it is possible I may have to purchase a few pieces.

I'm finding the blocks a challenge, as I don't paper piece very much, but I like the results. NYB is one of my favorite patterns. The last one I made it was the same block for the entire quilt, and it turned out very pretty, but I like the challenge of all the different blocks.

amh

amh