Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/penny-harens-%22pieced-applique-%22-1-block-week-begins-january-2011-a-t77062.html)

rita222 11-20-2010 03:46 AM

I have already made this quilt. posted on this site if you care to see it. I really enjoyed doing each and every block. it looks so detailed yet is easy to do once you learn the method. good luck to everyone and enjoy making it.

Obsessed 11-20-2010 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by rita222
I have already done this quilt. posted on this site if you can to see it. I really enjoyed doing each and every block. it looks so detailed yet is easy to do once you learn the method. good luck to everyone and enjoy making it.

Rita - I found your quilt photos - you did a lovely job! The quilt looks so nice with the smaller blocks inserted into the 12 inch star blocks... I may need to rethink my plan to make a wall hanging with the smaller blocks and go for the full-size quilt!

Thanks for directing us to the photos! (Here is a link to her quilt: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-72444-1.htm ). :-D

Ladystitch 11-20-2010 04:46 AM

Hello, I'm interested. I love trying new things and everyone on here are so informative. Best place to learn more about quilting.

BATIKQLTR 11-20-2010 07:18 AM

Thanks Jupiter, I think I will go with what I have also. I'm hoping to get my book today so I can look through and get started on finding some fabric medleys.

MAGGIE ROSE: Jupiter very thoughtfully gave us the info early so we could read up. We aren't going to start till January. You have time...........;-)

RITA: Your quilt is gorgeous!! The colors are stunning!

Mumzbear 11-21-2010 08:44 AM

I am really thinking about this. I live in a more rural area and don't have quilting friends so it would be fun to work with fun people and learn from them. Are you going to select a group of fabric and do all your blocks from that particular fabric?

Jupiter 11-21-2010 02:04 PM

I think I am going to pick a group of fabrics. The sample quilt on the front cover of the book is Bernartex"s Nuance line. I do not plan to use that same line, but it helps to think about fabrics that coordinate with each other but still are definitely different prints (.... not all the same swirl in different color ways.)

... Yes to floral, stripe, plaid, swirl, tone-on-tone that all go together. I've been looking at fabrics.com. There you can see whole lines of fabric together. I will probably buy from a local quilt store if they have what I want.

By the way, the book says that 1/2 yard cuts of 8 different fabrics is a good amount for this project. It may vary a bit if you do a lot of fussy cutting.

hugs, Jupiter

Originally Posted by Mumzbear
I am really thinking about this. I live in a more rural area and don't have quilting friends so it would be fun to work with fun people and learn from them. Are you going to select a group of fabric and do all your blocks from that particular fabric?

Jennifer22206 11-21-2010 06:24 PM

I ordered the book too! I'd like to play along.

I'm not a huge fan of applique, but since I'm nearing the end of the pieced and paper pieced blocks in my Dear Jane I better learn how to love applique fast! :)

I think this will be great fun.

Irene V 11-22-2010 01:16 PM

Ok. I'm going to try this. I'm not a very good quilter. Yet. I've ordered the book today from Amazon. I'm pretty excited since this will be my first block of the month quilt.

hlponyfarm 11-22-2010 02:53 PM

Got my book today! that was really quick.

Obsessed 11-22-2010 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
Got my book today! that was really quick.

Yes, Amazon has been really quick at getting the book out. I spent some quality time with the book today when I should have been working... :oops:

The book is really lovely to look at and the instructions seem very clear - I love the spiral binding - I can't wait to get started! This is going to be great fun. Thanks for getting this organized Jupiter!