Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/penny-harens-%22pieced-applique-%22-1-block-week-begins-january-2011-a-t77062.html)

Irene V 03-01-2011 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by keelybird57
Irene, it's very pretty!

And we chose similiar colors,too!

judy

Haha. I like yours better. Good job.

Deecee 03-01-2011 09:37 PM

Great blocks Irene and Judy. There must be a bit of colour mental telepathy going on around here!

Jupiter 03-02-2011 09:55 AM

Very pretty, Irene. Your fabric looks soft... maybe flannel?

hugs, Jup

Jupiter 03-02-2011 09:56 AM

I think it is amazing how bright minds think alike! Nice block! I've got to get photos of mine and get them posted.

hus, Jup

Jupiter 03-03-2011 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my Indiana Puzzle blocks, 6" and 12"

I decided to try something a little bit different on these. I hate cutting through the fabric to take out the used templates. My quilt is planned to be a quilt on the bed, so it will be washed occassionally. Instead of printing the template on paper and ironing it to freezer paper, I used Vilene.

"Vilene" is a tear away stabilizer used in applique work. It comes in several weights and I like the medium one or the thick one. If you leave it in the quilt, after the quilt is washed most of it disappears, leaving only a bit of fiber which is not noticable in the finished quilt. If you did not wash it, it would stay stiff...not so good.

I printed one copy of the template and used that to trace the pattern onto the Vilene using a black Sharpie pen.

For the 12" block:
#1 cut is 8.5".
#2 cut is 8.5".
Template A is a 4" circle.

This was a fun block to make..... but I am glad I am up to date again. (I will post my missing Advanced Star in the Catch Up week.)

hugs, Jup

ps. I was able to use some scraps taken out of previous blocks to make some of these pieces. Make use of those larger cut outs!

Deecee 03-03-2011 12:36 PM

Love your colour combinations Jupiter.

Good thinking with the vilene.

Jupiter 03-03-2011 12:37 PM

Did you notice that when you squint your eyes or step far away from the Indiana Puzzle, you don't see the little circles. What I see is close to being a butterfly outline.

hugs, Jupiter

Jupiter 03-03-2011 12:40 PM

Hi DeeCee.... we are both here at the same time!

Thanks, I think everyone's blocks are turning out so nice. The farther we get on the project the easier it gets. Can hardly wait until Sunday (catch up week) when we will all post all of our blocks together. That will be eye candy for sure.

hugs, Jup

Obsessed 03-03-2011 12:45 PM

Love your blocks Jupiter! The little one looks sooooo little next to the 12" block!

I can't wait for the recap next week either - although I have one block I want to rework before then, so I'd better get to work!

Deecee 03-03-2011 01:03 PM

I'm squinting..................oh yes! I see what you mean. Little butterflies. That's cute!