Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/penny-harens-%22pieced-applique-%22-1-block-week-begins-january-2011-a-t77062.html)

Irene V 06-27-2011 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Deecee
It adds character Irene! Your stars stand out from the background better with your colour choices.

I don't think any of us were particularly fond of this block. Don't look now, but the next one is a little similar.

You're right about the next block, Deecee. I just finished it and it is definitely wonky, not as bad as this one though.

Jupiter 06-27-2011 04:43 PM

lol... I love "listening" to all the comments about this block. Here's to a better block next week! Its really all about the charm and the patience it took to get there.

hugs, Jup

Deecee 06-27-2011 08:19 PM

"Charm and patience" - :lol: :lol:

I wish I had a "raspberry" emoticon. :lol:

I do like what is coming up much better though. After the next one, that is.

Jupiter 07-01-2011 01:22 PM

Bakersfield California: We stocked up the pantry today and mother-in-law (87 yrs old) is moving in for a week or two. The forcast is for up to 108-111 degrees! That is bad news if you have to be out in it. We are going to stay indoors watching a few movies we have intended to look at, and of course quilting time will be bountiful. Maybe I will finish up a few projects. Even have to wait until evening to swim unless you want to fry your skin...lol

I hope your summer is wonderful and lazy.

hugs, Jupiter

Deecee 07-01-2011 02:46 PM

We are having 5 degree C. winter mornings here and I would love a little warmth but 100 F plus is far more than anyone needs.

Take care to stay out of the sun and keep hydrated.

Enjoy your movies and sewing time. Is MIL a quilter also?

Jupiter 07-01-2011 08:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Brrrrrr..... that sounds cold, DeeCee. Stay bundled up!

Helen, my MIL, is not a quilter, but we did recently do a little project together. I remembered seeing her color in a kids coloring book, when she'd get off work in the evening... back when Randy and I were dating. I thought that was a little bit strange, but she explained that it was relaxing to her.

So recently after a short hospital stay, she stayed with us. I taped fabric to a foam board, traced a quilting template design on it, and gave her my big box of crayons and told her to color the picture.

Well, I ironed the wax out of the fabric, then trapuntoed the design and stippled the background. Made into a great pillow for her to take home. I'll show you a picture. I was pretty happy with how it all turned out.

So I'll steal the stage here for a minute... hope no one minds much...

hugs, Jup

Deecee 07-01-2011 09:28 PM

That's a fabulous idea Jup.

Your MIL looks lovely and the cushion is just beautiful. What a wonderful keepsake of your joint effort.

Jupiter 07-02-2011 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can't believe I am first again this week! lol Even though Virginia Snowball is a near duplicate of Facets of Jen, my two don't look so much alike, as I got a better color selection this week. Learning as I go along... and I suppose that is what we are hoping we do!

hugs, Jupiter

Deecee 07-02-2011 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We just waited for you to post first Jup -

Here's mine and as you have said, better colour choices this time around.

Virginia Snowballs
[ATTACH=CONFIG]220135[/ATTACH]

np3 07-03-2011 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter
Brrrrrr..... that sounds cold, DeeCee. Stay bundled up!

Helen, my MIL, is not a quilter, but we did recently do a little project together. I remembered seeing her color in a kids coloring book, when she'd get off work in the evening... back when Randy and I were dating. I thought that was a little bit strange, but she explained that it was relaxing to her.

So recently after a short hospital stay, she stayed with us. I taped fabric to a foam board, traced a quilting template design on it, and gave her my big box of crayons and told her to color the picture.

Well, I ironed the wax out of the fabric, then trapuntoed the design and stippled the background. Made into a great pillow for her to take home. I'll show you a picture. I was pretty happy with how it all turned out.

So I'll steal the stage here for a minute... hope no one minds much...

hugs, Jup

Marilyn, what a great story and wonderful memory for her! Love your blocks too!