Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   QB Block-of-the-Month, April 2013 - Double Aster (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/qb-block-month-april-2013-double-aster-t217972.html)

jaba 04-02-2013 08:55 AM

My favorite colors Sulabug. Think the quilt will be awesome but I want it done faster:thumbup: I really liked the April block, bet a whole quilt done in that pattern would be pretty nice too.

CajunBear 04-02-2013 12:08 PM

Jaba, great job..love your colors also. This is going to be an eye-catching quilt.

Hugs,
Cajun

JuanitaBean 04-02-2013 09:18 PM

Love your block great job

CAS49OR 04-04-2013 02:33 PM

Cajun I cut my pieces the size you indicated but could not get the middle to fit. I tried a few times. So I sewed the outside together (as if the middle was in there, aligned on the outer edges) and find my middle square would need to be 2.5" to fit. Also, my finished block would only be 11 1/4". Was I supposed to figure out the larger HST squares before I cut them?

btw I only use the 1/4" specialty foot, I never attempt to do a "scant" measure, if that matters.

cat-on-a-mac 04-04-2013 03:58 PM

ok, now that I've done one .... love the block, but mine surely didn't come out square! Have a question for the group ... how did you press the seams on this one? I was doing ok until the seams around the square ....

Caroline S 04-05-2013 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR (Post 5978187)
btw I only use the 1/4" specialty foot, I never attempt to do a "scant" measure, if that matters.

I have not finished sewing mine yet but the Quilterscache instructions do tell you to sew with a scant 1/4 inch. Are you able to move the needle on your machine to achieve the scant 1/4"? On my machine, an Elna 7300, I use the 1/4" foot with the fence and able to move the needle to the right to get the correct measurement.

CajunBear 04-05-2013 11:59 AM

You need to go back to Color 3 and if it's the center block you are referring to...you need 1 2 5/8" sq.... when you take 1/4" seam around it that leaves you with 2 1/8" center block. Is this what you are referring to as the center block?

Did anyone else have problems, all mine fit together and in the original directions it tells you one 2 58" sq!

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
Cajun

jaba 04-05-2013 12:37 PM

Mine fit together perfectly. Maybe double check and make sure you're measurements were correct. Not saying they are wrong but I have been known to cut something 2 3/8 instead of 2 5/8, big difference.

Jenniky 04-05-2013 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 5979426)
I have not finished sewing mine yet but the Quilterscache instructions do tell you to sew with a scant 1/4 inch. Are you able to move the needle on your machine to achieve the scant 1/4"? On my machine, an Elna 7300, I use the 1/4" foot with the fence and able to move the needle to the right to get the correct measurement.

I still don't get the scant 1/4" measurement. I also usually end up using just my 1/4" foot. Soooo how about they invent a scant quarter inch foot attachment... LOL :p

CAS49OR 04-06-2013 08:15 AM

I double and triple checked and the center square is cut 2 5/8" and I followed the directions and worked my way around but it just doesn't fit in the middle, it bunches up, and doesn't line up after that last turn, so I'm guessing it is because I am not using a "scant" measure. I never have, I think it's weird it was ever started by whomever. I mean, define "scant" :confused:. The first three BOTM came out the right size and I used my 1/4" foot.

I can move my needle to the right, so scant means skinnier than a normal 1/4' seam? How will I ever know if I have it scant enough unless I sew the block over until it turns out? This is a complicated pattern to practice with.

Could I just make my squares 1/4" bigger before I cut them into HSTs?

There's always a bright side ... I'm going to pick a different color combination this time because the colors I chose blended together too much.