Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   QB Block-of-the-Month, February 2013 - Crazy Heart Directions & Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/qb-block-month-february-2013-crazy-heart-directions-discussion-t212614.html)

Sparkling Lake 02-01-2013 05:50 PM

I don't know how to start. Could someone tell me? I haven't been quilting long so lots of things are really new to me.

Nelco 02-01-2013 06:30 PM

Sweet..I was in need of a new PP project for my small PP sewing group.

for easy applique turn under - I have sewn interfacing on the finished block (right side down) all away around, trim to 1/4" then cut a slit in the center and turn and press and it ready to sew on what every you want.

i hope you can understand.

patricej 02-02-2013 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sparkling Lake (Post 5831237)
I don't know how to start. Could someone tell me? I haven't been quilting long so lots of things are really new to me.

read the instructions. they explain everything in step-by-step detail. :)
grab some scraps if you have any.
if you don't have any scraps, shop for fat quarters or fat eighths.
you'd get enough fabric from either of those to make more than one heart.

SewExtremeSeams 02-02-2013 08:04 AM

Hmmm, the finished hearts look great. For some reason nothing opens when I click on the attachment. Help please?

patricej 02-02-2013 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 5832322)
Hmmm, the finished hearts look great. For some reason nothing opens when I click on the attachment. Help please?

if a setting is off in either your browser or your adobe acrobat reader, you might need to download the instructions file first and then open it.

marshamarriott 02-02-2013 03:31 PM

Ideas are just swimming around in my head for many uses of this heart. For a block, I may hand applique to a block background after adding a black bias edge. I like the look of the mug rug with the dark binding. I also make pieces of crazy quilt fabrics with my tiny scraps (sewn by hand for a lap project) and might just cut a heart out of a piece of that. My pieces will be much smaller than these so might lend themselves to a smaller heart and block. Who knows what I will end up with - I have loads of small scraps. The larger ones go into hand-pieced samplers (at least that is the plan). One is almost done but it has taken me 1 1/2 years so far. Maybe this is a better way to use up those scraps.

SewExtremeSeams 02-02-2013 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 5832731)
if a setting is off in either your browser or your adobe acrobat reader, you might need to download the instructions file first and then open it.

I usually don't have any problem opening things on my laptop or my desktop but neither of them will open. Maybe I will have to sit this one out or make up my own pp heart.

labeelady 02-02-2013 06:12 PM

I use Firefox and was able to open it just fine. You may have to update your Adobe Acrobat Reader if you haven't done that lately.

I started it as a crazy patch, got #1 and #2 sewn on, and also 3 & 4, but when I got to #5, I had a problem because it requires sewing to #1 as well as #4. Then I read the directions where it said to sew 3,4, & 5 together first, then sew them to #1 & 2. Now, if you sew 3,4 & 5 together, how are you supposed to sew them to #1 & 2?

Is this a pattern that's supposed to be done by hand using needle-turn applique? I'm trying to sew mine on the machine.

SewExtremeSeams 02-02-2013 09:31 PM

Thanks Pat. I have the latest download for Adobe Acrobat Reader and it is not letting open it. (: Sadness!

Mommomjoann 02-03-2013 06:46 AM

Thank you!!!! It's beautiful! I would like to make a large one for the center of my table!!! Can't wait to start it!!!