Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Quilts for Rosie - Weekly Paper Pieced Sampler Quilt Along (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/quilts-rosie-weekly-paper-pieced-sampler-quilt-along-t192335.html)

Anael 01-30-2013 11:32 PM

Just gorgeous Carrie! Congrats on finishing!

deranged_damsel 01-31-2013 06:56 AM

Carrie, I LOVE the colors of this quilt! what was your inspiration for the color combo?

!!!B E A U T I F U L!!!

carriem 01-31-2013 07:20 AM

D_Damsel--I was originally going to use batiks for this quilt but just couldn't find a good background fabric to contrast with the other fabrics I chose. So one day when I was at work (at LQS) I spotted the black floral print and went from that to choose the other colors. Usually I don't choose fabrics with a black background so it wasn't even an area I looked at early on! We had some of the fabrics from the same line but not enough contrast so started looking around the shop....The pink and red fabrics are from the "reproductions" room. I think the yellow is a "fusions". The green could have gone dark or light and I usually go dark, so thought I would mix things up and go bright. :)

This was one of those quilts that I changed my mind on how it was "going to be" several times. DH helped decide on the green for the outer border...I had bought extra thinking originally to use it for the setting triangles then went with the black for that instead so wasn't sure on the borders. I am happy with the end results.

QuiltE 01-31-2013 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by carriem (Post 5827279)
D_Damsel--I was originally going to use batiks for this quilt but just couldn't find a good background fabric to contrast with the other fabrics I chose. So one day when I was at work (at LQS) I spotted the black floral print and went from that to choose the other colors. Usually I don't choose fabrics with a black background so it wasn't even an area I looked at early on! We had some of the fabrics from the same line but not enough contrast so started looking around the shop....The pink and red fabrics are from the "reproductions" room. I think the yellow is a "fusions". The green could have gone dark or light and I usually go dark, so thought I would mix things up and go bright. :)

This was one of those quilts that I changed my mind on how it was "going to be" several times. DH helped decide on the green for the outer border...I had bought extra thinking originally to use it for the setting triangles then went with the black for that instead so wasn't sure on the borders. I am happy with the end results.

... and here I thought that the starting point was the black fabric!
Isn't it funny how sometimes the fabric or colour we avoid ... creates something wonderful that we love.

It's good to move beyond our comfort zone and look what it did this time. I think what's attracted me to your fabrics all along was that they were bright not loud, with a certain softness to them. So lovely! :D

rwquilts 01-31-2013 10:27 AM

Beautiful Carriem!

janRN 01-31-2013 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ladies, all of your quilts are spectacular. I'm sorry I haven't participated much in the chatter but I'm trying to get my mother's house sold, had frozen pipe burst and flood basement, finished FWS Pony Club quilt, and finished Rosie. It's not quilted yet because I still need tons of practice for FMQ but it WILL get quilted. Thank you for letting me join you on this journey and thanks for all the inspriation. I'm so anxious to try out some of the color combos/fabrics that you've shown--things that I had no interest in before seeing all your lovely work.[ATTACH=CONFIG]392023[/ATTACH]

dublb 01-31-2013 10:57 AM

Oh Jan It's beautiful! Is this one gonna be your first "real" quilt on your Sweet 16?

deranged_damsel 01-31-2013 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5827351)
... and here I thought that the starting point was the black fabric!
Isn't it funny how sometimes the fabric or colour we avoid ... creates something wonderful that we love.

It's good to move beyond our comfort zone and look what it did this time. I think what's attracted me to your fabrics all along was that they were bright not loud, with a certain softness to them. So lovely! :D

I Couldnt have said it better myself!!! Bright and Soft. a wining combo in my book :D

simply SPECTACULAR

deranged_damsel 01-31-2013 03:36 PM

Jan, that quilt is perfectly YOU! "jewel tone Jan"

LOVE IT

Patricia Faye 01-31-2013 03:54 PM

janRN, love your quilt & the outside border is very tropical looking. It pulls everything together. Great job on it!