Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Rhonda's Sampler Quilt Along - Week #1 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/rhondas-sampler-quilt-along-week-1-a-t56442.html)

Rhonda 07-27-2010 01:45 PM

Anyone is feeling unsure about making the quilt blocks I suggest you go to the Boston Block tutorial and practice one block. It is easy if you don't look at the whole project at one time. Just try out one block and see what you think.

I had my DGS who was 10 at the time make a boston block so if he could do it any beginner can do it. It is really easy. There is little math and all you do is sew and cut around the template. By sewing first you get little pieces in the square you cut out.

Don't let the intricate look fool you into thinking it is hard to do. If you take the time to sew a straight seam and cut accurately it will be a breeze. and you will be able to brag about your intricate quilt blocks!!

Rhonda 07-27-2010 01:47 PM

I ordered more templates and template plastic so unfortunately it will take me abit to get them and get them out to you but I will send them as soon as I can. I do have some of the sizes so I will send out what I have on hand and send the rest when I get them.

cjomomma 07-27-2010 03:40 PM

Rhonda I did the boston block tut and now I can't decide on a layout for the block. I posted it so that others could help me decide. I didn't expect the block to be so simple and the layout so hard. Lol

Rhonda 07-27-2010 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Rhonda I did the boston block tut and now I can't decide on a layout for the block. I posted it so that others could help me decide. I didn't expect the block to be so simple and the layout so hard. Lol

I'm glad you had a good time making the blocks! I think they are so easy but people think I am saying that because I work in miniatures. But it doesn't make any differance what size you make them the process is the same.

Good luck deciding on a layout!! LOL That is the part that is fun to me! I love seeing how many differant quilt blocks you can make with the same set of Boston Blocks and HSTs or whatever. I quite often mix hsts in with them for a differant design look. Enjoy!

Rhonda 07-27-2010 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by dream56
Thanks - I sent a pm for the templates and am looking forward to working on this. May try to do them in all one color sceme. Any ideas as to how many colors and how much material for either size for just the blocks?

That is hard to say. I usually give my fabrics to my friend Dorothy and she makes me 100s of these blocks. So I don't really know.

You can measure from the center of your template to one point and add a 1/2" for two seam allowances. This is how wide and how tall your swatch needs to be for the quarter square parts.
For the dark swatch measure across the template from corner to corner and your fabric needs to be at least this wide. I like to add a bit more so you aren't cutting it short. Then the height will be the same as the quarter squares.

You can cut a square for the dark swatch using the measurement across the template from corner corner. A 1 1/2" template is 2 1/8" from corner to corner and I like to add a bit so you aren't coming out short.

If you cut a 2 1/2" square you can cut it from corner to corner and use the triangles for your dark swatch. This will give two dark swatches. And you will see less waste.

I prefer to make my swatches larger than needed and reuse them to make more blocks.

So the yardage will depend on what quilt block you are making and it will depend on how many colors you choose to use. It will be differant for differant people depending on the choices you make.

So for a 1 1/2" Boston Block you would need for one block

light swatch - 1 1/8" (center to corner) + 1/2" = 1 5/8" or round it off at 1 1/2" to be simpler math. This is the height and the width.

The medium swatch will be the same 1 1/2" x 1 1/2"
The dark swatch will be 2 1/2" x 1 1/2" if you are using rectangles like I did or 2 1/2" square if you want to use the square method.

I show in the HST tutorial how I pull apart the leftover pieces and sew them back together again to make more blocks. This saves time sorting out more colors and fabric and saves you time matching up swatches. they are already sorted and matched. This is why I like to use larger swatches when I cut so I have more to work with to recycle. I only cut swatches once but can make 2 or 3 blocks with the leftovers without having to go digging for more fabric.

Now you can figure out how many blocks you are making and how many will fit in a fat quarter or half yard etc.

Rhonda 07-27-2010 04:38 PM

As for color if you change where the colors go you will see a totally differant quilt block. If you want to get the same look I show here you need to use comparable colors in the same places I did.

If it is medium in mine make sure you use medium in the same place. If it is a light fabric use a light fabric. Make sure you use fabrics that will have contrast and don't blend together. You will lose the design if your mediums and lights are too much the same or your mediums and darks are too close in value.

Lay the two together and step back. Can you see each one apart from the other one? If not then you need to change your values. By that I mean your medium needs to be lighter than your dark or a color that is opposite of your dark.

You could use a blue for the dark and a red for the medium and a gold for the light. Just make sure your colors are in the right place too. Make sure when you make your Bostons that the medium is on the left if that is where it needs to be or on the right if that is where it is supposed to be for the quilt block you are making.

I like to use at least 3 colors usually but that can vary.

Rhonda 07-27-2010 04:47 PM

You can post here and ask any questions you like or post a pic of your fabric and get ideas from other members who are doing it too.I check my pms and the board off and on all day. So I will get back to you as soon as I see it.

Aunt Zaz 07-28-2010 06:45 AM

I am going to give it a try it will be like taking a class! I love the blocks you posted.

fun2quilt 07-28-2010 06:58 AM

I think I am going to give this a try. PM'ing you for the templates! They blocks look great!

jlong 07-28-2010 07:53 AM

I'm interested I would like the 12 1/2 square , thanks