Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Rhonda's Scrap Club Quilt Along (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/rhondas-scrap-club-quilt-along-t210833.html)

Foxflower 01-28-2013 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, here's more proof I'm a maverick and can't leave well enough alone, that I've been affected more than I thought by the "modern" quilt movement, and that it's really hard to get imprecisely cut tiny triangles to match up. I can think of all kinds of names for this block but haven't settled on one....wild goose chase, winter migration, merrwe go round, silly geese, winter whirlwind....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391462[/ATTACH]
When I saw all the geese of Rhonda's block going 'round I thought, cool, what if they were going round a star in a night sky? I cut a bunch of squares and rectangles to make the geese. Then I though, what if I can make it look more 3-d and use a bunch of those weird triangle scraps I saved? I see I also reversed their direction.

Rhonda 01-28-2013 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Foxflower (Post 5820996)
Okay, here's more proof I'm a maverick and can't leave well enough alone, that I've been affected more than I thought by the "modern" quilt movement, and that it's really hard to get imprecisely cut tiny triangles to match up. I can think of all kinds of names for this block but haven't settled on one....wild goose chase, winter migration, merrwe go round, silly geese, winter whirlwind....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391462[/ATTACH]
When I saw all the geese of Rhonda's block going 'round I thought, cool, what if they were going round a star in a night sky? I cut a bunch of squares and rectangles to make the geese. Then I though, what if I can make it look more 3-d and use a bunch of those weird triangle scraps I saved? I see I also reversed their direction.

LOVE IT!! I love the creative thought process that went into this!! I love being the inspiration or your springboard for thinking outside the box.

Foxflower 01-28-2013 05:04 PM

I'm glad you like it!!!

oksewglad 01-28-2013 05:41 PM

Very clever Foxflower. Now if you were a liberated quilter you would make those triangles off kilter so they wouldn't have to line up!

Foxflower 01-28-2013 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 5821449)
Very clever Foxflower. Now if you were a liberated quilter you would make those triangles off kilter so they wouldn't have to line up!

:D So true! I guess I just don't have my wonk on. I don't like geese with tweeked heads either but couldn't avoid them completely.

Muse&Sew 01-28-2013 07:21 PM

Foxflower are you left-handed? One reason for your geese flying the other direction. I love the baby geese growing up & becoming adults. Very creative.

Foxflower 01-28-2013 07:43 PM

Actually, I'm right handed. Funny thing though, I had to turn three sections around after sewing them in because I'd sent them the wrong way! Maybe that's why.

Thanks everybody for the sweet compliments. Is anybody else working of the blocks?

oksewglad 01-28-2013 08:16 PM

I find I am left right challenged and always have to carefully think of where pieces should go:eek:
Wish I could join on the quilt along. Actually am working with my GD on making quilts from her GGPA's old shirts. We have 1 done and working on the second.

queenof2802 01-28-2013 09:32 PM

Count me in for this quilt along. I have soooo much scraps 4 extra large rubbermaid containers to be exact. I inherited my grandmother's quilting things including her stash. I have found original material from the 50's and later.

I do need a 3 1/2 template. PM is on its way!

Thanks!!

Rhonda 01-28-2013 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by queenof2802 (Post 5821910)
Count me in for this quilt along. I have soooo much scraps 4 extra large rubbermaid containers to be exact. I inherited my grandmother's quilting things including her stash. I have found original material from the 50's and later.

I do need a 3 1/2 template. PM is on its way!

Thanks!!

What a blessing for you to inherit your Gma's stash! Template's on the way!