Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   "Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/spike-your-english-block-month-quilt-along-t227252.html)

QuiltE 08-09-2013 07:27 AM

A HUGE GROUP WELCOME to ALL who have joined since I last welcomed the group!
We're all here to have FUN ... so let the FUN begin!!!!
Jump in and join the chatter ... don't be shy!
I'm looking forward to seeing the fabrics as they are selected!

Originally Posted by Mariposa (Post 6224365)
This sounds like a lot of fun! May I be a "Spiker" too-?? :)

Of course you can!!!

Originally Posted by carriem (Post 6223515)
Honchey--Welcome back. That is a good start towards your new laptop. :) Unless of course it is already spent on more fabric. :thumbup:

Exactly what I was thinking ..... so Honchey, what are the plans for your $$$$$ ??? :D

Belfrybat 08-09-2013 08:58 AM

Well, I guess I am in. Thank you all for your responses. I'll look through my stash later and see what colour scheme I want to do. BUT I will probably need some on-going help as the first and only time I tried paper piecing it was a disaster. But so many people have encouraged me to start doing it and this seems to be a good project to try. I'm going back to the Craftsy BOM I did last year and review the video again on paper piecing and actually finish the blocks I was supposed to do back then but kept putting off. They are the last blocks I need to do in order to assemble the quilt. Wish me luck!

QuiltingNinaSue 08-09-2013 09:11 AM

Belfrybat, go to the Quilt on the Square site and she has help for pp printout. Also you can access www.quilterscache.com and Marsha shows pp in all her blocks (free, over 1600 all together) in a quick tutorial. Some things if you view it or see it offered in several ways...you suddenly see the light, and say, oh, yeah, I got it now!! We all learn in different ways, and I like to look at more than one way of doing things, and then the moment comes when I can say, "I got it now!" The simplest thing can throw me off...its either a blonde moment or senior citizen moment. LOL!!:D I laugh at myself and go on with the challenge.

Honchey 08-09-2013 09:25 AM

Ha ha ha,,I love all this chatter....Glad to see you QuiltE...I did buy a new laptop....I have 2 weeks to play with it before I decide to keep it....It's still in the trunk of the car..Lessons for Windows 8 is included...It even has a touch screen!!!

I'm seeing several of the ladies from swaps that I participated in....So happy to see you here with us "Spikers"...Yes we are now all "Spikers". I believe that the "Spike up your English" originally came about from the person who started out doing English Paper Piecing with the Hex's and converted it to a design doing Machine PPing....That's where the phrase "Spike up your English"....you know it means "pump it up" add to it doing something different...

I have one more afternoon of work and then it's playtime for me other than the normal drudgery we all do on a daily basis...

Carriem, Yes, you are right about the 2 a month done in the order of the blocks ...and...most of you know there's nothing written in stone about that...but for now that's the plan....

I have to empty the car so I have to leave for now...I'll check in later...H.

QuiltE 08-09-2013 11:31 AM

Honchey ... well I sure say you;d better get that car unloaded ... and that new laptop baby inside! :)

PP Newbies ... do not fear ... we were all Newbies and a couple of us (me and ??not mentioning any names??) actually loathed PPing at one time. Alas! we saw the light. Persistence pays with huge rewards in perfectly pointy points and square squares and precision made blocks. The pain IS indeed worth the gain! :D

dungeonquilter 08-09-2013 11:41 AM

As for Me ... always looking for more Canucks to join us here!! :D[/QUOTE]

I am a Canuck in Ontario. I have the patterns printed out. Now I have to try to tackle my stash to see what I can use. Stash has gotten out of hand, and is piled in bins and large totes all stacked on top of each other with more stash stacked on top of that. It has just about taken over half the room where I cut and press. Help would be gratefully accepted. I have been fighting depression and haven't sewn for several months until just a couple of weeks ago, and was trying to use shopping as therapy. It doesn't work for me. Getting help now, and improving every week.

QuiltE 08-09-2013 11:54 AM

Hip Hip Hooray ..... another Canuck joins the fold! :)
Welcome DungeonQuilter!!!
I'm looking forward to your being with us.
So shop your stash, and get that machine purrrrrring along!
Where abouts are you?? ... I'm in the GGTAW (Greater GTA-West!)

dutchie 08-09-2013 12:07 PM

I'm IN too! I haven't been actively quilting for several months and now that things have settled down to a dull roar, I'm game to try something new. Maybe this will jump start getting some of my UFOs done too!

SueK

JeanieG 08-09-2013 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat (Post 6224586)
Well, I guess I am in. Thank you all for your responses. I'll look through my stash later and see what colour scheme I want to do. BUT I will probably need some on-going help as the first and only time I tried paper piecing it was a disaster. But so many people have encouraged me to start doing it and this seems to be a good project to try. I'm going back to the Craftsy BOM I did last year and review the video again on paper piecing and actually finish the blocks I was supposed to do back then but kept putting off. They are the last blocks I need to do in order to assemble the quilt. Wish me luck!

Belfry, this video was what I used to teach me to do Paper Piecing. I found it very valuable and she does a great job of explaining it. Hope it helps you and anyone else that needs a refresher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2gKMx9CCM

Caroline S 08-09-2013 02:05 PM

Is this the thread where we post our colors and fabrics?