Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/stash-buster-scrappy-mystery-quilt-mini-train-ride-t209515.html)

dungeonquilter 12-31-2012 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jannie (Post 5747546)
I am going to jump on and hope I can keep up. I have a bunch of I Spy Fabrics from other swaps I think I will cut down to size. Do you think these will work?

What a great idea. Can I copy you?

paintmejudy 12-31-2012 08:05 AM

meanmom, so glad you decided you needed to join our mystery. There is always room for one more project. And A and B need to have good contrast, you will see why on Saturday.

Elisa, you are too funny! Yeah, boney fingers... love it. My problem with the king quilt is that I cannot get all that material under my machine and don't want to pay to get something made from scrap (backing will be hunks of leftover stuff) and in that size quilted, so will make the sections in long strips and do quilt-as-you-go with a meander. Cotton batting like Warm and Natural in summer here is still too warm, this stuff I bought is almost unmeasureable so will see what happens. The air conditioner cranks all night long in summer, but I keep the temp cool enough to sleep under a thermal blanket, but my quilts are too heavy. (And I have made 3 king quilts, not that much bigger than a queen, really.)

Pam H 12-31-2012 08:19 AM

The wallhanging is for the nursery of my first grandchild due February 23. I am VERY EXCITED!!!! We will find out the sex when it is born. I will be doing daycare when my daughter goes back to work part time.
Judy, are you sure you need to use batting? I saw a lace quilt at a quilt show last summer. She said she used air for batting to make it light weight and cooler for summer use.

jaba 12-31-2012 08:28 AM

For a very light weight batting use flannel. It works great.

Quilt Lover Grandma 12-31-2012 09:16 AM

you can tell I am new to this. I just posted this message on the end of mystery quilt 3. What I said is that my husband and I do quilts together. Must admit that he does the cutting as I am a bit handicapped. But we love to do mystery quilts and have a big project for this year. We hope to make 15 fleece lined scrappy quilts for our daughter's kindergarten class. They are supposed to take little naps in the afternoon and she has limited success getting them to do so. We figure a nice cozy quilt and soft music will do the trick. This sounds like a good quilt to make for a couple of them. I don't understand the food and train ride aspect of this project. But I should be on a diet anyway.

Oksewnsew 12-31-2012 09:25 AM

Hey PMJ (Judy), the neighbor's lights will be up sooner for Christmas 2013! There's only 3 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas! I'll definitely have to get my stuff up earlier, if I want to enjoy it. Don't do much outside anymore, but inside, oh yeh! :thumbup:

Seaside gal 12-31-2012 09:41 AM

I think I will join in. I cleaned up my sewing room, took down wallpaper, put in a new floor, put all my sewing stuff away and then lost the incentive to make anything. This sounds like the way to get back to sewing again. I'm jumping on the train.

Caroline S 12-31-2012 09:41 AM

Carrot Marmalade recipe

For those of you who asked for it. The original recipe came from a recipe book that my DS and DDL brought me from Belize.

10 cups grated carrots
10 cups sugar
6 oranges
4 lemons (hint: zest the lemons and dry for future use)

Optional ingredients:
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp ground cloves
Habanero Peppers (for those of us who like a bit of taste bite) (Habanero pepper have a fruity flavor and work well with any kind ofjams

Pineapple

Wash and thinly peel the oranges being careful to avoid the white pith. Slice thinly or put through a food processor. Take the peeled oranges, section, remove the white membrane and slice into small pieces. Squeeze the lemons and add to orange peel mixture. Add the sugar to the orange and lemon mixture and let it sit overnight. Next day grate the unpeeled carrots and cook 2 hours. I add peppers or spices during the last hour of cooking. Seal hot mixture into jars and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. This recipe can be easily cut in half for smaller batches.

alvgoodyear 12-31-2012 10:18 AM

other mysteries

[

Just a simple question. Where do I find the other three mystery train quilts?

Thanks for the info.

coopah 12-31-2012 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 5749528)
Belfry - you will need borders to get to the size you are looking to make.

OOOOOO coopah - what happened - thought you were along for this ride too -- we will miss you.

Well, life has come along and given me a good smack (not the kiss kind of smack, the hit kind of smack), so I'll sit this one out, but will meet the train and LovelyL with the tea and scones. Just need to get my equilibrium back. All you all have fun, and I'll be on the next mystery for sure! :-)