Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/sylvia-bridal-sampler-bow-t236858.html)

Teen 04-07-2018 09:05 AM

Thanks Macybaby & Judith... I think if I would have attempted scrappy instead of a controlled colorway, I would have given up on this project. Lol!

I'm a fabric lover, as well, and typically buy several yards at a time of fabrics that appeal to me. I've had other quilter's share with me to buy only when you have the pattern you'll be making but I can't do that. I'm easily distracted when I enter a LQS and I don't always buy when on sale. I try to be a frugal shopper but I'm not always successful. I joined the fabric moratorium challenge and have done well so far but the SBS has kept be distracted for 2 months....and I'm headed to Idaho for a month where they have a couple of my favorite quilt shops....no telling what I might come home with.

Yellow is my favorite color and polka dots....one of my shops here has an unbelievable collection of polka dots and stripes in bright colors. I think I have a yard of every bolt she had and some several yards of favorite colors. That is my next project after SBS and a QAV. Can't wait to get my fingers in all that polka dot. I have a summertime quilt to do too but I need to think about that for awhile.

Anael 04-07-2018 10:05 AM

Most of the time I buy only half yards as I purchase 99% of my fabrics in the USA. Even with shipping it's cheaper to do it this way. But......only flat rate enveloppe because when it comes in a box I have to pay taxes and duties and that makes it very expensive.
I love purple, blue, red and yellow. I love green to go with purple but not green alone.....does that make any sense? I love bright colours, I don't like brown!

DonnaPea 04-07-2018 10:14 AM

Teen - the word that comes to mind when I look at your laid-out Sylvia is "soothing". The combination of the teals & yellow is so appealing, and the little dab of black here and there keeps it interesting. Enjoy that pedicure - you have earned it!

Looking forward to seeing NZquilter join us. NZ Quilter, it's really fun, and so far I've only had my eyes crossed by 2 blocks (Robbing Peter to Pay Paul and New Mexico). I have a start on them but have set them aside for a day I really feel extra ambitious. Everything else has been just enough of a challenge to keep me motivated by all that I am learning (so far!)

Will have at least 2 to post on Monday, hopefully more. This is a fun group to be part of and I too appreciate everyone's encouragement & enthusiasm.

Anael 04-07-2018 10:27 AM

There were a few more blocks I thought were quite hard........

Looking forward to seeing your blocks DonnaPea! It's always a surprise what colours you used :)

Teen 04-07-2018 02:25 PM

Donna....thank you for the kind comments. So glad I'm finished with blocks. As you know, I hated New Mexico. It is in the quilt top but I haven't joined that row yet so I may still end up replacing it. As far as Robbing Peter, I ended up gluing my curves down before I sewed them. When gluing, the pieces naturally curl up like a U so gluing the 2 pieces together was a snap. I got one pucker but was able to clip a few stitches, smooth it out, and resew that little area. Worked great. My block isn't perfect but it's together and 6 1/2" so I was not going to try to improve it. There are others that were a pain the rear but I've blocked the trauma. Lol!

i have sewed blocks in A-F but haven't joined the rows yet. I need to audition cornerstones. I'm now thinking of doing yellow so I'm happily sashing the squares together, which are going together nicely...thank goodness.

laurafet 04-07-2018 07:46 PM

Oh, Teen, it is stunning! Way to go! I love the colors, and your blocks throughout were just fabulous. Good job!!!

TheMerkleFamily 04-08-2018 05:36 AM

Teen, I've enjoyed watching your beautiful blocks come together and W.O.W. do they look gorgeous arranged together! Your precision is amazing and I'm sure the final reveal will be just stunning! Thank you for sharing your beautiful work.

Christine

Teen 04-08-2018 08:14 AM

Thank you, laurafet......I hope you've been able to find the time to work on your blocks. I know how much you are missing your craft.

Christine.....thank you...such a sweet comment. I'm eager to see it all together too and look forward to sharing. I'm sashing away right now....phew!

DonnaPea 04-08-2018 10:12 AM

Teen - thanks for the tip about Robbing Peter. I will try that for sure. Yellow sounds like a lovely cornerstone color. I am sure whatever you select will be beautiful.

Teen 04-08-2018 02:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok brides & future brides... I can't decide so I need your artistic eyes, please.

With or without cornerstones?....which color?