Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/sylvia-bridal-sampler-bow-t236858.html)

NZquilter 06-12-2018 10:31 AM

I totally sympathize with you on the boxes, Teen! At the moment I'm having a hard time prioritizing what needs to be packed now and what we will need for the next few weeks. (ALL Fabric actually ended up in a box at last!:)) Best of luck on your first load up. I'm sure that will help take care of a few boxes that are in your way! I lived up by Couer d'Alene, ID, for a year as a teacher in a private girls school and I absolutely loved the scenery! Idaho is a beautiful state.

Anael 06-12-2018 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
NZ, time flies........even when you're alone and waiting to be reunited with your husband!
Good luck with the packing and moving!

Teen, I'll help you if needed. Did you google gothic? Dresses like this one:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]595895[/ATTACH]

Teen 06-12-2018 02:26 PM

Oh wow....that is cool and looks way too complicated for me..... When I attempt a garment, I'll be chatting with you for sure...

Macybaby 06-13-2018 05:59 AM

got a little bit of quilting done last evening, but I'm still a ways from the half way mark. So far I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out except one outline. I was attempting to do a line of stitching along the edge of the narrow inner border, like a line of topstitching. But I was lazy and didn't change to the ruler foot, and trying to free hand it ended up with a messy line. I'll remove it and then go with STID along the light side, and that will hide the imperfections.

DonnaPea 06-13-2018 11:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Lots of fellow former garment sewers here, I see. I never sold any, but have made scads of Easter dresses, Halloween costumes, costumes for school plays, etc., over the years. No longer do any of that, but it was a good basis for quilting.

Wishing both of our movers the best over the next few days & weeks. It is a very unsettling time, and all you can do is grit your teeth & get through it. I've moved a lot over the years, and there is something exciting about all the new possibilities that lie ahead. NZquilter, getting back to Sylvia can be a nice reward for you to look forward to after all your hard work.

Just 2 new blocks today. I have my gd again for part of the week while the rest of the family travels to Atlanta for her dad's graduation ceremony from his physical rehabilitation program. It has done wonders for him in learning to compensate for the effects of the traumatic brain injury he suffered in Iraq.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595927[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]595928[/ATTACH]

Macybaby 06-13-2018 12:16 PM

Way, way back I was making and selling custom lingerie. After a few years of working with tricot, quilting cotton is a breeze, and biases are a non-event.

I also did several bridal parties, and have made three wedding gowns, though my own was the only super full, all satin one.

I bought several yards of satin at the shop going out of business. I'll be making a quilt out of it, for fun. At least this stuff is way easier to work with than what was available 35 years ago!

Teen 06-13-2018 02:14 PM

OH Donna.....these are so beautiful...wonderful fuzzy cutting on the rose. That is an eye catcher. Wow....awesome! Thanks for the encouraging words and wisdom. I've been in this house for 30 years....and all its glorious accumulation of stuff....this will be our first move...My yard sale pile is in a 40ft container. Lol!! Trying not to get stressed...My best to your family hero and congrats on his program graduation. So appreciate his service! Enjoy your GD....

Macybaby....wedding gowns? OMG!!! I can't imagine the detail and skill in making one. Yowza...

auntjo 06-13-2018 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow so much in common - at least those of us left here. I sewed all my oldest daughter's clothes when she was little & still wore dresses. But then I'd been sewing all my own clothes since jr. hi
formals & weddings for sister, $$, friends, etc..Started into quilting way back then, but everything was hand cut w/cardboard pattern pieces & scissors and at the very least hand quilted... With the steps & boys after, did a lot of Halloween costumes, X'mas jammies, formals & weddings for
daughter & her friends. Actually managed to finish a few quilts while they were little which they used all thru their growing up before I really had time to start getting into it "Seriously".

For those that are in the midst of moving & "downsizing", & relocating - been there, done that too, 5 yrs. ago already. After my DH died in 2011, I stayed in our home for the requisite couple years and spent the last one culling thru 26 years of life, marriage & 5 kids to downsize into a new chapter in my life (re-met up w/an old HS flame at our 45th HS reunion :). Studio was definitely packed in it's entirety - but said good-bye to lots & lots & major lots of "stuff"...

Anyway here is what is growing on my design wall this week. It's a fairly quick put together pattern that I've done once for my son & my SIL decided she liked. So after collecting various fat-quarters of greens-to-darks & lights the past couple years, have decided I could get this done for her Xmas gift for this year...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]595943[/ATTACH]<strike></strike>

oksewglad 06-13-2018 05:55 PM

Nice projects auntjo!
Another ex seamstress here...used to make most of my clothes. Made a couple of wool coats, too. Sewed for my kids...could save money then as fabric was cheaper. I even made blue jeans for our daughter and three sons. They were all skinny and long legged and slim jeans didn't even fit them. Kwik Sew had a great multisize slim jean pattern that was my go to pattern. My grands are the same way, but they have this neat elastic with buttons to keep their pants up. I spoiled my daughter because she learned to have clothes fit her and now she's very particular about quality workmanship as well as fit...LOL she used to sew for herself as well and her daughter never knew Mom could sew!

Anael 06-13-2018 11:45 PM

Wow..........Donna, beautiful blocks!!! The rose is just gorgeous!
Congrats on the program graduation!

Auntjo, what a beautiful quilt is growing there !!

Funny how most of us used to sew :) Mace and auntjo, you both are pro's!! Wedding gowns......wow!!
I only made clothes for the kids, late hubby, myself and like I said, gothic stuff;) Now the fabric and the notions are too expensive (or the store stuff is too cheap!!) so I don't anymore and I have to say I even don't like it anymore. I rather quilt!!