Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: QB Block-of-the-Month Directions and Discussions , JUNE 2013 - 12" Dresdan Plate

Blog Entries

QB Block-of-the-Month Directions and Discussions , JUNE 2013 - 12" Dresdan Plate

Using Quilters Cache's Dresdan plate pattern http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DresdenPlateBlock.html
    Name:  Dresdan plate four.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  106.4 KBThis Dresdan plate has 16 blades.

I used the templates and instructions from this pattern with the exception that I wanted points on my plate. To make points I did the following also I added 1/4 inch to the the circle template.

Name:  Dresdan plate one.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  Dresdan plate two.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  Dresdan plate three.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  111.1 KB

Hope you all enjoy this block I picked for June.
    Last edited by Jenniky; 06-01-2013 at 06:18 AM. Reason: fix title
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries
    I really like that. What size is the top of your Dresden template and then the bottom. I don't have a printer to print off. I do have a 8 inch Dresden ruler. So if you tell me how big the bottom is I can make the plates. Thank you
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

If you did the www.craftsy.com BOM for 2012, the blocks for July were Dresden Plates. The directions for both patterns, round and pointy, are there and they are for 12" finished, 12.5" unfinished. If you did not do this BOM, you can still sign up for it, it's free.

I love this pattern.
    Sandra, I made the Craftsy one and it has 20 blades using the 4" and then a 4" circle. That's the pointy one. For the rounded edge she used the 4 1/2" marking.
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by owlvamp View Post
    I really like that. What size is the top of your Dresden template and then the bottom. I don't have a printer to print off. I do have a 8 inch Dresden ruler. So if you tell me how big the bottom is I can make the plates. Thank you
    Top is 2.5" and the bottom of the template is 1" hope this helps.
    Have an awesome day!

Classic block, but extremely difficult for this applique novice. Off to find exact instructions on pointy dresdens. Let's have fun with this block. Jen, thanks for challenging me.

Blog Entries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcy_p4pryE4

Here is Missouri Quilt Co. Tutorial on You tube for Dresdan plate... another resource for you.
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries
    Thank you!
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Found exact instructions on this site...
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/13FJC8_pvCiF-jJyCF9x3E19LfDCgDuZfYOqZoJeETyA/edit?pli=1#
    Yippee!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by djmat View Post
    Found exact instructions on this site...
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/13FJC8_pvCiF-jJyCF9x3E19LfDCgDuZfYOqZoJeETyA/edit?pli=1#
    Yippee!!!!
    A good tutorial with the exception in my opinion the center circle she has too much extra fabric for underseam. Check out the tutorial from the Missouri Co in post #7 it will give you a much smoother, and nicer circle. There is also another method using a Pellon interfacing. Anyone know of a link that uses this technique???
    Have an awesome day!

Thank you for the June block! I hope it goes well with my fabric choices.
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Blog Entries
    WOW, I really like this pattern for June's BOM. What a good choice you have made for all of us Jenniky. I can't start mine for a couple of days, but I am so anxious to pick out my floral fabric's for the blades!!
    If you see someone without a SMILE, please give them one of yours!!

Blog Entries
    Yippie, I have never tried a Dresden plate, well I did but it was a kit, this is much more challenging! Going to play with fabric right now. A Fun project for a Saturday night!
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

Jen, I used the site I mentioned for the block & then the Missouri site you mentioned for the center circle & it layed down properly. Thanks for the tip!

I have the Darlene Zimmerman template. It makes cutting really easy. If you like Dresden plates, you might invest in this
    tool. Dresden plates make great Christmas wreaths!!
    Dotty in NYC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by djmat View Post
    Jen, I used the site I mentioned for the block & then the Missouri site you mentioned for the center circle & it layed down properly. Thanks for the tip!
    Your Welcome
    Have an awesome day!

Your block is really pretty Jenniky. I just made 1/2 Dresden plates to use for doll skirts with the points so I think I'll make the rounded edges. I notice my pattern printed out the right size this time, that's always good.
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    OK I am having big time issues here? Please give me a hint as to what I could be doing wrong? My "plate" does not go together well. I feel like I am short a few blades or something? any suggestions?

LOL, I have been quilting a really long time but feel like a novice here. Love this going beyond my abilities and trying new stuff. But I need help.

I think I will go check out the you tube from Missouri quilt Co.

Blog Entries
    Well I guess it might help if my Template was the right size! I cut the bottom end 1 1/8... gotta do it again! But I am glad I watched the tutorial, she uses 20 blades on hers, but I suppose the measurements are different for that many blades.

Back to the drawing board!

Quote Originally Posted by marytoddliz View Post
    Well I guess it might help if my Template was the right size! I cut the bottom end 1 1/8... gotta do it again! But I am glad I watched the tutorial, she uses 20 blades on hers, but I suppose the measurements are different for that many blades.

Back to the drawing board!
    Glad you got it figured out. Using my acyrlic template I had to do 20 blades that were 4". The one on Quilter's Cache is a little larger & only uses 16. I printed the QC template 2x & they were just a little different even though the 1" sq measured the same. So I gave up & just used what I had.
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

dd
    I have an unused acrylic plate also that takes 20 blades. I decided to go for less blades and use the one provided from quilters cache. I got my circle all sewed together last night. I was pressing it down when I heard crackling coming from the iron. Then I saw sparks and smoke coming from the cord where it attaches to the iron. I quickly unplugged it but left it on the dresden plate. Luckily the plate was not scorched and nothing happened with the iron. Glad I was standing there when it happened. The smell was terrible. Guess I have to go buy a new iron today.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Blog Entries
    DD - I'm also glad you were close by your iron when it sparked. Good reminder for all of us to check our equipment cords and plugs. Even new items can have flaws that result in sparking or hot wires that can melt. Good news that their was no damage to your DP or pressing surface. Have fun with shopping for a new iron.. there are so many new and different featured irons available these days.. I keep telling myself some day I will treat my self to the cordless Iron I have seen used on many a quilting show.
    Have an awesome day!

Marybeth,

I used the Quilter's Cache templates and found my plate wouldn't lay flat.

I thought maybe it was because I sewed too many sections together before I pressed so I took them apart and did them in steps -- nope still wrong.

I tried making the center hole bigger,

I ended up needing 20 blades. Maybe it is because of the scant 1/4" measure? My seams are exactly 1/4". (I took apart and re-sewed some of them too, thinking that was my issue.

So now I have a large dresden with a very large center, with four black blades inserted because I couldn't continue my colors in sequence . . . I think it will be 1/4' from the edge of the block. I guess I can always trim it, but I did shape the edges to make it look like a flower, so that will be a challenge.

It's fun learning these things for a BOTM project instead of buying materials for an entire quilt and getting lost, right?

CAS

Was it a Rowenta iron? I've heard this happen a lot on this board with that brand.

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    I have an unused acrylic plate also that takes 20 blades. I decided to go for less blades and use the one provided from quilters cache. I got my circle all sewed together last night. I was pressing it down when I heard crackling coming from the iron. Then I saw sparks and smoke coming from the cord where it attaches to the iron. I quickly unplugged it but left it on the dresden plate. Luckily the plate was not scorched and nothing happened with the iron. Glad I was standing there when it happened. The smell was terrible. Guess I have to go buy a new iron today.
    CAS

Jenniky, I almost bought a new one I saw someone raving about on some quilting site, but read all the reviews and it seems to be they work great for sewing but not so much for quilting because they have to be returned to the base so often to keep hot.

I had one before, and I can't remember the brand, but I found that to be true. I thought it was just because I bought a cheap iron on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
    DD - I'm also glad you were close by your iron when it sparked. Good reminder for all of us to check our equipment cords and plugs. Even new items can have flaws that result in sparking or hot wires that can melt. Good news that their was no damage to your DP or pressing surface. Have fun with shopping for a new iron.. there are so many new and different featured irons available these days.. I keep telling myself some day I will treat my self to the cordless Iron I have seen used on many a quilting show.
    CAS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast