Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Rhonda's Scrap Club Quilt Along >

Rhonda's Scrap Club Quilt Along

Rhonda's Scrap Club Quilt Along

Old 01-14-2013, 11:15 AM

Default I'm Lost

I understand how to make the blocks, but what about the template. What is it and where do I get one? I have a 6" and 12" square-up ruler. Sorry, I'm just lost on what a template is and where do I get one and how do I know what size I need? Thank for all your help. I have learned so much from the ladies (and gentlemen) on this board!
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
Members in the Scrap Club asked if we could do a Quilt Along. So everyone can find the info easier and follow along without wading through all the Scrap Club entries here is a thread dedicated to the Quilt Along.

I will post a new quilt block each week and show you how the quilt block is made. Some will be my designs and some will be traditional quilt blocks or may be something I find online and I will give credit where it is due.

so come along and follow as we explore some ways to use scraps to make great looking quilt blocks!

this week's quilt block is one I use alot.
It uses my Boston Block shortcut. [ATTACH=CONFIG]387789[/ATTACH]
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t193649.html
You will need a 3 1/2" template to make this into a 12 1/2" quilt block.
a 4" template will make a 14 1/2" quilt block
and a 5" template would make an 18 1/2" quilt block
If you like the minis a 1 1/2" would make a 6 1/2" quilt block.
You can see below there are 8 Boston Blocks and 8 HSTs (half square triangles)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]387787[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]387788[/ATTACH]

You will need to make sure you make what I call mirror blocks
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t114884.html

Use up a lot of scraps making as many of these quilt blocks as you like! It is one of my favorites and I use it for alot of different projects. - quilts / table runners/ hotpads/ coin purses(in smaller form) etc
Old 01-14-2013, 01:06 PM

Dianna, Rhonda sends them....very generous of her. So you ned to PM her if you want one.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Power Poster

Default Rhonda's Acrylic Templates

I developed several shortcuts. this method is where you sew fabrics together and then cut out a square from the center. The Boston Block is the first one I developed. You can use any size of template and make any size quilt block you like with these shortcut unit blocks.

I have them cut for me out of acrylic. I add a plastic template grid to the acrylic for a template that is about 1/8" thick and works great with a rotary cutter.

For this quilt along I am sending out the 3 1/2" template for free.
so if you have a 3 1/2" square template then that will work. but if you use a reg ruler it will not be as accurate.
If you need this template send me a pm with your postal address.
I am going to keep this quilt along to simple quilt blocks so this size of template will be fine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]388162[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 3-one-half-template-.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013, 06:00 AM

That is wonderful. I am template challenged also.

What is it with scraps? I like used almost all the littlest ones for the scrappy mystery. I started saving them dont cringe I toss them constantly. if its not going to be 5 inches its history. Well in one week I grew a monsterously stuffed plastic grocery bag. So if you guys are saving your scraps do you seriousy keep them at that rate? I think they would implode in your home. I quilt daily so this is probably not going to work for me saving all those pieces. I would be lost under all that little fabric. .. bet its warm. make good stuffing .. oh no not going there. for some reason everyone gifts me that stuff too. pillow stuffing/doll stuffing etc.. bags of that. nice quote foxflower
Old 01-15-2013, 07:25 AM

Elisabrat, I absolutely keep smaller pieces...from these small guys, I create "crumb" blocks, which are literally like bread crumbs? They also cost the same amount of money as the larger cuts, and besides, I love the mindless sewing of little "crumbs" occasionally. Here's a picture of some bright scrappy crumb blocks used to make a doll quilt? I like to make them truly scappy, meaning all different colors and also controlled scrappy with like colors, etc. I usually make them 3 1/2" square.
Attached Thumbnails h-tweet-h.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013, 07:49 AM

rwquilts, I love your doll quilt. So how did you do the border for your quilt? Did you just sew random pieces together & then cut them to the size you wanted? Also, is your bird house paper pieced? Love the colors.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bbemerald View Post
rwquilts, I love your doll quilt. So how did you do the border for your quilt? Did you just sew random pieces together & then cut them to the size you wanted? Also, is your bird house paper pieced? Love the colors.
Elisabrat had a question regards tiny scraps and I was showing her an example of something that I've done with my "crumb" blocks stitched from those tiny scraps...yes, you stitch random (or controlled) pieces together and then trim to whatever size block you want. Mine are 3 1/2" square and yes, the birdhouse is paper pieced. I LOVE paper piecing! LOL! Thank you for the compliment.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Ronda I too like the mindlessness of scrappy blocks. Here's what I've done with little bits of fabric for AAQI. Bars are 3/4" finished. Scrappy borders in the basket are 1 and 1 1/2". In the last pair the squares are 2 and 1 1/2 inches.[ATTACH=CONFIG]388264[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]388265[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]388267[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 025-aaqi.jpg   032-aaqi.jpg   nd-minis-crazy-blocks.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

I always tell people PLEASE don't throw the scraps away. they will make some quilter very very happy!! I use down to 3/4" so I usually say let me see it first before you throw it away. if it isn't usable for some reason I can throw it then.

so if you don't mind saving them and passing them on it would be a kindness especially to someone who can't afford to buy a lot of fabric.

when I started quilting 30 yrs ago I didn't have a dime to buy fabric. I used yard sale clothes or hand me downs I had in the closet. I love to get scraps to this day. It saves money but it also gives me variety to work with.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Ronda and Gladie you know I love your work! I love the minis and love to see how others use them.

When I was selling to Yoder's she had me make 2 1/2" quilt squares some of which were confusion ( my version of crumbs) and some were quilt blocks like shoofly or bear's paw etc. She sold Amish dolls and she would place these on the doll's lap to look like the doll made the quilt.

I used to make billfolds and the front was a quilt. the blocks started out at 3/4" and ended up finished at 1/8". so I don't throw anything away unless it is 1/2" wide or less. I love to have scraps as resource to go through when I want a particular color.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]388282[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails miniatures.jpg