Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Blog Entries
    Happy Junker, I have that machine! I love it so much, but I only use it on occasion, it does not work well on heavy layers and I need one that will.

My New Home Memory Craft 6000 does. Her name is Nellie and she is 30 years old. She can sew through anything! at least 6 layers of denim no problem!

My business is sewing with denim, I am a Re-Sewer, or Recycling Seamstress. Most every thing I make to sell at Craft fairs is made out of old pairs of Jeans. So Nellie has to sew some heavy stuff! She is starting to drag, my Machine Doctor says I need to think about allowing Nellie to retire and just work on making quilt tops. Seriously I have not found a machine that even comes close to being able to do what she does.

But my quilting friend says that a Singer 301 long bed will! So I have been looking, and bidding on Ebay and going to yard sales, etc... Still no luck in my price range. I actually had a bid on one and forgot to watch it. I had my top bid at $50. and it sold for $55. I felt terrible! My limit is $150. including shipping. But I know one will be just perfect for me when I need it. The Sewing machine Doctor agrees with my Friend that they are great machines. The 301 Long bed is bigger than a feather weight and was used in most Schools in Home Economics. They are all metal so no plastic parts to break. The speed is almost as fast as a Industrial machine.

oops sorry I got off on a Antique Sewing machine tangent!
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

ooooh some pretty blocks and hey that pile I need that yellow fabric with the circles on it lol I truly would be in happy land if my blocks all came out those lovely browns with that green and cream fabric to go with it.. I however have a ton of different fabrics that are a bit more mix mix. then there is that last posting and they are a lot more color its funny we all have scraps yet look how different our scraps are? you would think they would look more alike than apart but apparently I would have lost that bet. ready for the coming clue ahead. finishing my dq for January so I have time to decide yes or no to rearranging the blocks tick tock the train will be coming around again better make a decision soon!

(hey diet coke and brownies is that so I can eat more brownies and not feel any guilt? wait tis the quilt train no guilt allowed!)
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Wow! Y'all have been busy sewing and I'm still cutting squares. Thought I had lots of scraps, and I really do, but most of them are smaller than 4-1/2" in width. Was considering doing the larger size, but think I will stop when I get enough for the smaller one. Don't want to cut up anything big just for one 4-1/2" square.

Blog Entries
    I have a question for the rotary cutter users regarding sharpeners, does any one have a sharpener? I am looking to purchasing a stone sharpener, it is the kind you leave the blade in the cutter while you sharpen. The reviews have been mixed, but many more good than bad. I was just wondering if any one has it and if they would recommend it. It is called the True Cut Rotary Blade Sharpener. I can get it on Amazon for $25. and if there is a better place for me to ask this question please point me in the right direction. thanks
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

Better late than never, I just climbed aboard!

Blog Entries
    hey Marybeth my 301A says hi and my DD 301 longbed is giggling......they say give us a #16 needle and we can sew thru steel

BTW this train breaks for Brownies

welcome aboard dhanke, this is fun we have a great mystery writer/leader she keeps us guessing
    !

Love this one

I'm more into bright & bold, but this one will be so pretty! TY Judy. You get more chocolate!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dotty in NYC

Lovely choices, Dotty! Those squares belong on a bed in a nice quiet country cabin, with a warm fire glowing in the fireplace, and snow falling outside.

those fabrics are so vintage looking love it!

I just put a new blade in my cutter. OMG why did I wait so long? (cheap). it just zooms right through. last one I put in was right at the begging of the last boom over 50 blocks cut, several wall hangings and tablerunners, and a mystery quilt with one blade. it kept nicking and argh not finishing gave up and changed it yesterday. wish I had done it in say Nov.! Jaba has a blade sharpener. she uses it for her 45mm blades. I use a 60 mm should I get a smaller cutter what say you guys? I mean it works good its the only kind I have ever had. actually its like over 10 yrs old. survey says?

oh old mats should line the dumpster. I had mine til it warped and was so bad I tried fixing it in a bath of hot water and ironing it and all the suggestions you find online. I gave up. it was so bad. lesson: DO NOT KEEP THEM IN THE CLOSET standing up with other things leaning on it in a hot environment. they go bad real quick. flat is always good and out of the sun. always.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Well I'm going to wait and see where this train is going, I know that I really do have alot of 4.5" squares...

Blog Entries
    Judy,

Are the 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangles supposed to be from the same scraps as the 4 1/2" squares? I have lots of 2 1/2" strips leftover from other projects? I am pressing my scraps now, cutting them ready to finish Clue #1.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Welcome aboard Dedemac. I just love seeing other's stash. I am glad I am not the only one that uses the floor and the sort and toss method. LOL Can't wait to see your blocks.
    Sweet Caroline

The picture is only about a 1/4 of what I found in the black hole we call the attic. We have a 1 1/2 story that has one finished room for stuff. I still have 3 boxes to go thru, they are heavy fabrics. It did give me a reality check on how often I pulled a color and then shoved the left over into a different place. Now that we have a empty nest it's time to clean.

I guess when I was making close for my girls I was looking ahead 30 years so I could do quilts. It was fun to find the fabric form old dresses and tops I made way back when. Most of it has been pressed and in zip-lock bags and sorted by colors. Now time to grab bags and look for different scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by jaba View Post
    NOPE NOT TO LATE, you need this bad. I know I have alot but have never put it together like this, probably scare me to death. You have enough here for at least 20 quilts. Get on board, we're coming roun the bend and pickin' you up....just grab an arm load, you'll be very safe.

Glad to see Dedemac and Dhanke join the group.

marytodd - I bought a colonial Twist 'n Sharp at Joann, ok if the blade isn't nicked, but with my arthritis and the need to twist by hand limits my using it. My friend's husband bought something at Harbor Friegh for $80, it attaches onto his electric drill and works very well. I am thinking of getting one, with the price of Olfa going up and up and the quality of the Harbor Freight carpet cutter blades being hit and miss, it might pay for itself pretty quickly. Does any one know about the HF sharpener?

Thank you, sunlite, you're now promoted to head cheerleader I love your enthusiasm.

Oooooo Dotty, so pretty. Oooooo chocolate! (Don't you dare! I think it added to my holiday pou8nds gained )

elisa, yes, there is a time when they no longer self-repair, and if warped, it never goes away.

btiny, come on and jump in with both feel, you're gonna love what you see on Saturday.

aurora - make your 2-1/2 x 4-1/2 out of whatever you have and want to use -- different from or same as the 9-patch, either will work just fine.

Can't wait for Saturday to see what your response will be to my little mystery. I do like this one, and my king size is coming along nicely, too. All the pieces are cut and I am beginning to assemble it.
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 01-03-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Blog Entries
    What a great bunch of scraps there are out there. I keep changing my "favorite so far" choice, like every time someone posts a picture.

Thank Judy et al for the info on washing/soaking mats. I had no idea.

I can't wait to see what people are going to come up with for their contrasting fabrics because there are so many colors in all the blocks. I'm having trouble so will wait for the next step to decide.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, that is what I thought, just wanted to be sure. We have sure seen some great 9-patchs. I am hoping to get mine done by Saturday. Hope to get A and B Saturday when we go shopping for fabric.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Well I am busy pressing and cutting my scraps, I did not have as many as I thought or should I say not big enough to cut 4 1/2 inch squares from. My blocks are going to be predominantly blue which is coming as a big surprise to me as blue is not really my colour so where have they all come from. Hope to get the blocks cut out tonight and sewn together tomorrow ready for new clue on Saturday. Will try to post pictures but have not had much luck since the board changed. Like the sound of the brownies how about some white chocolate cheese cake to go with them?

thank you sunlite for pulling me aboard. I am now rested from the snacks you provided and have fallen into my box of scraps. Digging around. Decided not to think about what I was grabbing and just grab and cut. It is suppose to be scrappy.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Urgodschild if nothing else it sure goes faster. Mine did. I had to really smuch them up though as my block i cut from the stacks of scraps and those are color arranged. I am a tiny stumped on what colors to chose but going to go with whats in the shelf no shopping for more. Its scrappy it will be fine I am sure. what doesnt go with 100000 colors? all together in 106 easy squares? nothing is the answer it all will work I (in theory).

Wow we have our very own cheerleader! Yiipppeee oh what its rah rah rah shish boom bah! Goooo QUILTERS oh wait sunlite how does that go again? Marytoddliz dont you have some pom poms you can share with me? ok fine going to quilt a pair be right back.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
    (hey diet coke and brownies is that so I can eat more brownies and not feel any guilt? wait tis the quilt train no guilt allowed!)
    I have a friend who always says "I will have a diet coke instead of that cookie (or insert treat of your choice.)" I always say, "What can I eat with my diet coke?" :-)

Thanks for hauling me on board. I'm off to cut some scraps, although the biggest strips I keep on hand (a la Bonnie Hunter) are 3.5".

Quote Originally Posted by marytoddliz View Post
    I have a question for the rotary cutter users regarding sharpeners, does any one have a sharpener?
    You may have seen this already, but Bonnie Hunter reviews it here - http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...ary-blade.html and likes it!

Blog Entries
    Do we have some time before Sat. for some sightseeing? Check out the fantastic fabric art here: http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/...enim-paintings
    http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/bibliostone/library/
    Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.
    -- Eleanor Hibbert,
    British author

Finished my 9 patch block this afternoon. Whoo Hoo!. I think I will shop my stash for fabrics A & B when we see the next clue. The most difficult task was not to control fabric choices. I tossed the squares in a tote, closed my eyes and pulled. I then strip pieced the squares in sets of three. Those I tossed into a tote, closed my eyes and pulled to piece the blocks. It sure is going to be interesting how these blocks will be used.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Caroline S; 01-03-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Sweet Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by bibliostone View Post
    Do we have some time before Sat. for some sightseeing? Check out the fantastic fabric art here: http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/...enim-paintings
    Awesome. Denim, who would have thought!
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Oh my you girls are chatty !!! I come home every night from work and there a pages and pages to read (o:
    Has anyone counted how many of us are on board this train ?
    A good friend is like a warm quilt wrapped
    around the heart

Karen

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast