Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Ok, everyone, listen up ... can you hear it? Far off in a land far away, Annie is loudly singing "Tomorrow, tomorrow, it's only a day away!"

dedemac, make your decision on the A and B fabrics by looking at the pictures posted, you'll get a better idea if you want the red starsto pop or have the yellow stars receed. Your quilt, your choice.

I absolutely love all the pictures everyone has posted -- quilts are beautiful. And I think I've even noticed a few who said they weren't a scrappy kind of gal saying they like their quilts! Hooray for Scrappy!
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

clue two finished

Got this far yesterday, can't wait until Sat. for clue three! I think I have it figured out, but I've been wrong before.
    It's been so much fun seeing everyone's photos. It's like a super sized version of my favorite feature in the quilt magazines where they show a quilt in different colors and fabrics. Thanks Judy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dang... that is really pretty dhanke! I love the 4 patch in the stars! Makes me want to change mine. I've just started working on sewing the 2 1/2 inch squares on the sashing this morning. My company is going home today, but, sadly, I don't think I'll have my pieces all sewn together and ready for the next step by tomorrow. I know it's not a race, but I sure wish I could have mine as far along as the rest of you.

Blog Entries
    Wow I love the quilts showing up here. I think we need to have a album of all the mystery quilts finished. It amazes me how so many different quilts come out of the same pattern!

I am going to do another and we have not even finished this one! I have been collecting black and White fabrics (mostly FQ's but some smaller and some bigger too) for about 5 years now. I have enough to cover a football field! so I am going to make one with this pattern. It will be scrappy but I will control it a little, if I can. Since I brought almost a bag full of B&W with me to Mom's I think I am going to do that! Maybe I will be ready for the next clue! And btw... remember how I wanted to get it all together so I would not lose any pieces, well all the pre-cut pieces somehow did not make it to Oregon! Hopefully I left them all at home and did not lose them some where in between So Cal and Oregon!
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

I've decided I'm going to double the size of mine. I think. A friend loaned me her scrap box so I don't have to make anymore cuts into my stash. Now I have to decide if I will take time to get my house in order (hubby will be home for the weekend) or just start cutting and sewing.
    dhanke, I really like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    frustrated and quilt addiction - love these, both are very nice.

dedemac, if you use red and yellow, it will really pop with red stars. Those colors will be great together But don't forget to change out the placement within your top left block of the red square in the lower left corner - the HST will get lost in that block.
    So the top left block I should remove the top row of blocks and stick it on the bottom so the red is in the middle? Is that correct.

Thank you all for help.

I think I will make some French Onion Soup tomorrow for the Club car. Its cold and wet here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
    So the top left block I should remove the top row of blocks and stick it on the bottom so the red is in the middle? Is that correct.
    That'll work! I know you will be happier.

dhanke I love love love your quilt. What a great idea!

Attn: Everyone: After I put up tomorrow's clue I will make a posting in the Pictues Section Called Scrappy 9-Patch Quilts where we cango to post all our quilt tops.

Blog Entries
    dhanke, The four patch star center looks great. I like the way it ties in with the nine patch.

happyjunker, I'm with you, still working on the stars and sashing, and wishing I was farther along.

marytoddliz, B&W would be spectacular. I like this pattern because it's big squares can showcase an individual pattern. I'll make another too, someday. Have to finish this one first. : )

Blog Entries
    Judy yes my avatar is from the Carol Doak 50 paper pieced stars quilt along on here. I am waiting for it to be finished at the longarmer. I really enjoyed making it. I love to paper piece. I used 40 of the blocks in the quilt and am making 4 of the Vermont block to use as a wall hanging. I have 3 finished and now it is laying in the UFO mess. I love how it came out. I am still not finished with with this weeks clue. I got a crazy idea last night to put a 16 patch in the center of my stars for the 4 1/2 blocks. I wanted to use some turquoise fabric I found in my stash and there was only 1 1/2 inch strips. So I made 16 patches out of it. They are almost finished. I will start the assemble tonight.

One last three block strip to attach sashing strips and then put these last two strips on and I will have the twelve blocks all together. The pieced triangles worked ok too! So I was able to keep all my stars alike to tie it all together.

Blog Entries
    The laugh is on me today!! I could hardly wait to get my blocks put together & have my picture ready to post. Only to notice that I had left the last row off!! DUH!! The blocks are made, I just have to add them. I hope everyone likes my top so far!! I will finish it this evening & be ready for the last clue. Thank you for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you see someone without a SMILE, please give them one of yours!!

Ooh! It's so pretty, looks like a beautiful flower garden!

Dhanke, your top had my jaw dropping! The four-patches as the star centers is a great look, especially with the restricted pallettte. I think I'll have to try it again in that style.

I've enjoyed everyone's contribution to this virtual quilt show, actually. Eagerly awaiting the next clue, though I might not even get to work on it for a while. I've got a Poodle to bathe (Standard, so no small job) and papers to grade. Ugh. But I'll get to it!

--Q

Quote Originally Posted by SulaBug View Post
    The laugh is on me today!! I could hardly wait to get my blocks put together & have my picture ready to post. Only to notice that I had left the last row off!! DUH!! The blocks are made, I just have to add them. I hope everyone likes my top so far!! I will finish it this evening & be ready for the last clue. Thank you for looking.
    Sulabug this is so pretty. Wow everyones quilts are stunning cant wait for clue 3.
    Everyday is a good day for Quilting!

meanmom, I did 24 squares, put together without sashing, for a large lap quilt, and had it quilted on a LA which I rarely do, because it is pricey. Especially my own quilts that I keep for myself, but had to have this one done. I love it. Florence told me hers is coming back from the LA next week - she did 56 blocks I think.

mom-6 -- way to go, Yankee initiative saved the day!

Sula -- so pretty!!! dhanke is right - a flower garden for sure!

dhanke -- loved your quilt so much I pulled out all my batik scraps and cut enough to make 2 blocks plus the extra sashing and the -------- finish clue that I'll post tomorrow. I cut my blocks 3-1/2" square. Used the 4-patch for the star centers and assorted batiks for the points. Need to finish sewing it together get it quilted, but I think it looks nice. So glad you posted your quilt.

Blog Entries
    Oh, Judy, you really have a mystery for us this time. What will the ------- be??? This is an amazing pattern in that everyone's looks good. Sulabug and dhanke, those are wonderful. Pat, a 16 patch that ends at 4"?? Impressive to one who uses only 2 1/2" or bigger strips and squares.

Blog Entries
    I will be waiting at the computer for the last clue so I can print it off and start immediately, but won't have a lot of time to work on it, as I need to be somewhere for a luncheon two hours after the clue is posted (assuming it's posted at 9 AM Central time).

Have been curious about all those small squares and rectangles we cut in the beginning but didn't use...is there a lot of sewing in our future?
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

A quick tip please! This will show how few pieced quilts I have made. After sewing the small squares to the corners, trim the extra little triangles off the back, then press? Or press then trim? Thanks! Hopefully someone will post while I snip the strips apart. Tracy.

Jumped on the live chat board. Got a press, trim, press answer. Onward....

Blog Entries
    sula, love that blue. mean......oh, i am green with envy. i bought the 50 PP star book, and never started it, but i saw some of the stars where the same as a star quilt BOM sulabug did a yr or so ago. will get to it one day. but decided i had tooooo many things going at that time. sat and hemmed the last 3rd mystery quilt by PMJ that i had done. it was the 3rd one. the 4th was played with today. i cut and made wayyyyy tooooo many 1/2 sq tri's one day, so using up scraps. this last 3rd mystery quilt may be sorta scrappy.
    waiting for tomorrow a.m. and not patiently.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happyjunker View Post
    Dang... that is really pretty dhanke! I love the 4 patch in the stars! Makes me want to change mine. I've just started working on sewing the 2 1/2 inch squares on the sashing this morning. My company is going home today, but, sadly, I don't think I'll have my pieces all sewn together and ready for the next step by tomorrow. I know it's not a race, but I sure wish I could have mine as far along as the rest of you.
    I feel the same Danke. Love how you used a dark color for B and a lighter color for A. turned out great
    ​Christine

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Think it really depends what is comfortable to you happyjunker. With me it depends what I'm sewing, if the seam is a little thicker or more layers to it when they all meet I trim, press, then I may trim and press again. Sometimes is easier to get some of that "extra " off before you press. That way is won't sort of hang up on your iron. Just experiment and you'll know what works for you.

HappyJunker press then trim

Blog Entries
    I mailed the baby quilt a few days ago, quickly made a fleece blanket for a friend in dialysis, got serious about my mystery and suddenly had a date with my seam ripper. I cut some duplicate squares from scraps. Somehow 2 matching ones ended up in the same block. Grr, but it's fixed. I have chosen my A, B and B2. Now off to cut those before the next clue is posted.

I didn't get a picture of the quilt before I mailed it because my camera acted up, but a picture showed up on Facebook tonight - the soon to be father opened the package as soon as it arrived instead of taking to the shower Sunday. It was hard to chose fabrics when I don't know the baby's gender, but my GD and GSIL like it so all is good.
    Name:  Baby T's quilt.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  141.1 KB

Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast