Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Blog Entries
    I don't have a 'stash' to speak of as I have only purchased fabric for projects I am actually working on, but I was surprised to find enough "left overs" from previous projects that I might be able to pull this off.

I have never done a mystery quilt so I am looking forward to hopping on board the train... besides, it will be a nice break from the tumbling blocks quilt I am trying to finish for my youngest son's graduation present. (I could choke him for picking this pattern when I am such a 'beginner' quilter.

Beautiful quilts, Jaba.

frusted and quilting krazy - pretty blocks

JMoore, amazing, isn't it, how scraps can accumulate so quickly. That why I had said last month when I was planning to do a stash buster, it would really only be a stash buster if you made a quilt to cover a football field.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Judy--I'm in started to pull out my scrapes but got sidetracked will get back to cutting squares.

Caroline S-- Thanks for the carrot marmalade recipe.

Everybody's blocks look great, I see some of my fabrics out there.

Cream Puffs in the dining car for all to enjoy.
    It's always sunny here in Fl unless it's raining,LOL

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    So true Judy a truestash busting or scrap buster would need to be as big as a footbll field. Ha Ha Ha
    Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    Beautiful quilts, Jaba.

frusted and quilting krazy - pretty blocks

JMoore, amazing, isn't it, how scraps can accumulate so quickly. That why I had said last month when I was planning to do a stash buster, it would really only be a stash buster if you made a quilt to cover a football field.
    ​Christine

Blog Entries
    I have my blocks finished.I will post later or tomorrow. It killed me doing totally unplanned scrappy. I have a hard time with that. I did the large version and have sooooooo much fabric it didn't even dent it. I though I was going to die at some of the colors I was sewing together but laid out of the floor it looks OK all together. It has been a good experience for me so far. I usually use almost all batiks and there isn't a single batik in this one.

Blog Entries

you are all doing great..... I have my box of charms out and am pressing the most promising candidates...do not know exactlly when the box was tipped on its' side...grrrrr......so will post before to long....actually found a stack of 2 1/2 squares that I do not remember.....too bad we only need 4

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    I have batik scraps too but left those out as I want to do a scrappy batik quilt in the future. I know some of my fabric choices were ugly but I did a swap of what was I thinking charms and used those so there are only 3 or 4 squares that came from my stash scrappy is hard forme too but the more I watch and see Bonnie Hunters scrappy style it is growing on me
    ​Christine

Blog Entries
    frustratedquilter40 -- I had the same problem with batiks. It was hard to keep them from creeping into my 9-patches! I love them so much. I didn't totally succeed in keeping them out - they're like mice!
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the input, I was just curious. My blocks are all over the place, but I think I am going to like it. The last job I had ended up with lots of scraps of wool, so now I am going to try and do one of them also. But working with wool kills my hands, I am allergic, I tried wearing rubber gloves but the thing that works best for me is just doing the work in small allotments of time.

Looking forward to the next clue! Does anyone have the recipe for Lemon raspberry oatmeal squares? I had it at one time and can't find the recipe! My hubby is the cook in our house he told me if I find the recipe he will make them!

It uses Gluten free flour and fresh fruit (if possible) with no sugar, just honey! I know I have seen that recipe but still looking!
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

Blog Entries
    Jaba, love your scrappy quilts. Especially the first one. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Caroline for the carrot marmalade recipe.
    Elizabrat, I hope you do both kinds of scrappy. I think it will make an interesting experiment.

I have finished the first step cut the rectangles and little squares too. I spent New Years Day as I would like to spend 2013 at my machine Yeah! I went with two charm packs and cut them down and have mixed them up for the 9P. Can't wait for the next clue come on Saturday. BTW Happy New Year everyone.
    Everyday is a good day for Quilting!

Darn it ... I forgot to catch the train and the next train up was the Merry Mayhem mystery today and I detoured down that track for the first 5 steps. All I have left to do is lay it out with sashing and put together.

But, I fast forwarded from Judy's page one to here and will attempt to do the mystery starting at page one and trying diligently not to peek ahead at what all of you are doing!

Happy New Year!

Just got back so a bit behind on getting started. Almost done with getting mystery 3 put together. This sounds like lots of fun.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I cut more blocks last night and well seeing the mix match everyone has shown am going all the way with the scrappy happy look. I will love it.. (I think I can i think I can lol). Jan love both your quilts and of course the more brown/green is in my comfort zone but stripes what a good idea. I know you get those strips left over that you LOVE to use lol presto finito!.. I will hop over and sew the rest up let you know how it works for me.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    I've finished my 9P's and have the 2.5 x 4.5 's cut as well
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I just sewed a batik between two calicos. Yikes! This is fun if nothing else.

Got started cutting my squares and rectangles. Still a ways to go before I'm ready to start sewing though. Working my way through a bunch of vintage scraps I was gifted awhile back. Should be interesting. Lol.

Here is the wall hanging I am working on. It's ready to have all the little bits pressed down and then appliquéd. I have not done much appliqué yet. Does it all need to be stitched down before I sandwich and quilt? OR could I do the appliqué stitching as part (or most) of my quilting? It is a wall hanging so maybe it doesn't even need to have all the little things stitched. What do you think? I really need some input.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  1.81 MB

Blog Entries
    Pam, I love your elephant wall hanging. I would do the stitching down as the quilting and not do much other quilting.

My 9 patches are done. Hopefully, they will grow on me.
    Name:  DSC02029.JPG
Views: 528
Size:  835.5 KB
    http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/bibliostone/library/
    Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.
    -- Eleanor Hibbert,
    British author

wow what a wonderful collection of novelty prints love the I do it for halibut block too funny. I think they are all growing on me now that I keep looking at them. I made 11 blocks so far. I am going to look tomorrow to see if its better to pick my favorite six and toss the other five or to use them all and finish the last one. I got to tired to sew so I had to stop or they would all be done tonight.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Lovely fabrics! Here are mine. Hopefully I did them right. I've been in bed with the flu or really nasty "crud" for 3 days now, and am a little dopey on medicines. I haven't cut the 2-1/2" squares yet, but that's no biggie. I had a lot of brown scraps, so I used those.

Will my "Fabric A" be okay, or is it going to be too much brown?

Name:  mysterquilt-9patches.JPG
Views: 480
Size:  378.3 KB

Name:  mysteryquilt-a-and-b.JPG
Views: 479
Size:  392.1 KB

Name:  mysteryquilt-rectangles.JPG
Views: 485
Size:  278.1 KB
    (The rectangles are stacked; can't see them all.)
    Have a wonderful day! If you need to contact me, please use the e-mail address on my profile page. Sometimes I don't get notifications that I have a PM here. Please note that I'm usually unavailable on weekends, but I'll get back to you on Monday.

I'm still cutting! I decided to make the bigger size, so 108 blocks...eek! I'm up to 83, all different fabrics. I have duplicates cut, but since I'm so close, I chose 25 more pieces last night, and I'll get them cut today so I won't have any repeats. What a chore...a fun chore, but a chore. I haven't made very many pieced quilts before, so I don't have a big stash of pre-cut squares.

My rotary cutter and/or mat is giving me a fit. I don't know which needs to be replaced. I put a fresh blade in, but it keeps skipping, and that is very annoying.

I think I may have enough extra squares cut to make the small top to quilt and donate to the local Senior Center for them to raffle off for a fund raiser.

I'm having fun...My first train ride. All I've got to offer up is a fresh pot of coffee. Grab a mug, your rotary cutter, and come help! You'll find me in the turquoise robe and black slippers!

Blog Entries
    I am thankful for my GO cutter for this project.

Good morning, all.

IBQLTN - no rush, we'll be waiting for you.

Mom6 - no not behind, you'll catch up just fine.

shadowirish - pretty!

bibliostone - great fabrics, love the variety and the adorable prints.

moonrise - beautiful blocks. Not to offend but I feel you may want to rethink your A fabric. You'll see why on Saturday. Love your B and rectangles.

happy junker - amazing, isn't it, how many different fabrics accumulate, and we don't realize it until we start looking for different patterns. As to your cutting problems, if you put in a new, good blade, perhaps your mat needs cleaning. Soak in the tub laying flat, with slightly warm water with enough water to cover the mat and about 1/4 cup vinegar. Let soak a half hour then gently scrub with a very soft brush, something like a mushroom brush. Lint accumulates in the cuts in your mat. I'm cleaning mine soon, I noticed yesterday it was getting a bit funky.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Blog Entries

Giggle.......my rotary cutter is actually working well this morning...am using the other side of the cutting mat now.
    that is me in the too long green velor robe and the purple slippers.

Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast