"A Regular Here"

Old 01-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Banned

I just discovered that to be able to post anything in the Classifieds area, I have to have "a regular here" showing up under my name. My understanding is that you have to post a certain amount every day to be able to get that message.

Let me get this straight -- I spend hours on this board every day, reading other people's posts, and maybe posting once a day if I feel I have anything useful or intelligent to contribute -- and yet, I'm not a "regular"? And if I want to get rid of a little extra fabric, or some extraneous rulers, I need to go around and post a bunch of comments, just to get my post count up to get "a regular here" under my name?

I'm sorry, but I really think that's unfair to people who are constant and regular members of the site but don't have a lot to say. If you want people to go around posting "That looks great" under every picture of a quilt, just to get their post count up, then okay -- but it doesn't seem like much of a "contribution" to the site. I really think this should be reconsidered; other forums have the capability of tracking how much total time is actually spent on the forum viewing threads; that should be counted towards a person's "regular" status, too.

And if not...well, then looks like I have a lot of posting to do...

ETA: Just want to say, it's not the fact that you want to make sure that only regular users are posting in the classifieds area that I object to. I just find it somewhat hurtful to not be considered a regular considering the hours I spend here. Maybe it's because I'm a massive introvert or something :) Judging a person's regular-ness only by how much they write is rewarding people for extroversion; reading threads is activity, as well!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Power Poster

Yes, it is 20 posts within a 2 week time frame, so yes, it is 1.5 comments a day, 20 in one day, or any other configuration to come up with the 20 in 2 weeks :D

Please don't take it personally, Admin came up with this policy to protect us members. There were some issues that came up, and this was put in effect rather than us losing this section :D:D:D
Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Administrator

our intent is to protect members from those who join for the sole purpose of exploiting the classifieds section.

no system is perfect.

we are open to constructive suggestions.

send me a pm if you have an idea you think might work better.