Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"New" Postal Regulation is going to cost us more for shipping. >

"New" Postal Regulation is going to cost us more for shipping.

"New" Postal Regulation is going to cost us more for shipping.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 AM

Many of us have been happily using the flat rate mailers to mail fabric that we sell. So, today, I take four of the $4.95 mailers to our post office; 2 of them contained 3 yards, the other two had 4 and 5. Keep in mind that the rule has been (and this is advertised on TV too) "if it fits, it ships". The only other rule was that it had to fasten with it's own adhesive strip, and not require any additional tape. Today, however, the postal worker informed me that the first two packages could go, but the other two could not at that rate. When I reminded her of the aforementioned rule, she stated that just last week, they got a new guideline for the flat rate mailers that included a maximum thickness, (which, by the way, looks like anything more than 3 yards would not qualify) and she showed me the printout. I argued that until the PO pulls their cute little ad on TV, or changes it to reflect the new rules, that the old regs. should still apply. Finally, our postmaster (probably to get rid of me)decided to let the packages go this time, but said next time, I had to follow their new regs. So, on top of the increase in price of yardage at quilt shops, we get to pay more in shipping for fabric purchases made online. I for one, am most aggravated about this, and I doubt I am the only one.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:13 AM

Always trying to get more from us!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned

WHAT???? I went on yesterday to understand the new rules and rate changes but I didn't understand the mumbo jumbo in the info. Did you get the print out? If so, can you scan it so I can see it too? :)
Old 03-24-2011, 11:15 AM

They have new regulations for 1st Class Mail as well. A 6x9" envelope which is the size that patterns fit in can go for 1st Class postage, but, if it is more than 1/4" thick, it has to go for the "large envelope" rate which is $.80 for 1st oz. They have a heavy cardborad measuring devise that if your envelope does not "fall" throught the slot, it does not meet the thickness requirement.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:16 AM

There was another web thread about this, and on that other thread someone said they make a second flat rate mailer that isn't paper, but it can only be found online. The post office is finding that people are stuffing the paper ones to maximum capacity, and they are ripping in transit. The new one that isn't paper is more sturdy, and still has that same rate and old terms of use, or did at that time of that post. The new regs may supercede that- but I agree that they better change their motto of "if it fits, it ships"!

I had a package mailed to me that had 5 yards of fabric, but it ripped partially in transit, and only the inner plastic bag held all the fabric in.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Our commercials are now showing that flat rate $4.95 mailer is for documents now.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Now that I think about it.... I have not seen the "if it fits it ships" commercials in quite a while.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Banned

do you know the thread??
Originally Posted by sgardner
There was another web thread about this, and on that other thread someone said they make a second flat rate mailer that isn't paper, but it can only be found online. The post office is finding that people are stuffing the paper ones to maximum capacity, and they are ripping in transit. The new one that isn't paper is more sturdy, and still has that same rate and old terms of use, or did at that time of that post. The new regs may supercede that- but I agree that they better change their motto of "if it fits, it ships"!

I had a package mailed to me that had 5 yards of fabric, but it ripped partially in transit, and only the inner plastic bag held all the fabric in.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 AM
MTS
Banned

There is NO reason to get upset about this as there is a very easy alternative available.

Just order the padded bubble flat rate envelopes from usps.com. It's free, and will arrive within a week.

You can order 5,10 or 15 at at time, OR if you have a business account (and for this an ebay ID will be enough), you can order a box of 100. There is no in-between amount.

I got my box a month ago, and am about to order my second one.

The flat rate is $4.95 (no discount). Be advised that Paypal does not yet have the padded envelope in their system as an option. I've been using the regular flat rate option, which is giving me the discounted rate, and have not yet had any package rejected or returned. YMMV. It could happen.

Paypal is notoriously slow in updating their system to be in sync with USPS, so who knows when it will happen.

You can buy the postage as well online at usps.com, which does have the separate option for the padded FRE. Again, there is NO discount for this envelope.

One other note - I recently sent a crammed padded FRE to Europe (4 pound limit), and was told AT THE COUNTER that I didn't need the long form for customs, just the green one, when using the padded envelope. I'm optimistically hopeful when I go again tomorrow that will still be the policy. As my PO had previously required it for the regular FRE (when stuffed), who knows? Again, YMMV.

I hope that clearly and fully answers the questions concerning the new policy/envelopes.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 AM

OK, so I went on the Post Office Web Site, and the one she had talked about is the one that MTS just mentioned:

Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelope $4.95 12-1/2" x 9-1/2"

It's the same size and rate as the standard paper one that comes at the post office, only it accommodates bulky items.

The next size that might fit for fabric:
Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box $5.20 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8"

Only a 25c more. Does anyone know if 5 yards of fabric fits in this box?