Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
“A little star dust” a tribute to Norman Borlaug >

“A little star dust” a tribute to Norman Borlaug

“A little star dust” a tribute to Norman Borlaug

Old 09-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Power Poster

This past weekend the world has lost a great humanitarian. When one says “Norman Borlaug”, many say “Who?” But we here in Iowa are proud of our favorite son. He was born and raised on a small farm almost a century ago in my community of Cresco. He crossed the border and went to college at the University of Minnesota. Dr. Borlaug went onto save more people in this world than any other by developing a strain of wheat, allowing the bulging population of India to feed itself in the 1960’s. These efforts, the Green Revolution, were the basis for his Noble Peace Prize in 1970.
My husband and I had the opportunity to talk with him a couple of times when he returned home to visit. Like all great men, he was the humblest of men. Take time and do a Google search on the man. You too will be humbled by his greatness.
The family’s message at his passing was…
“It is the hope of the Borlaug family that his life be an example to all. We would like his life to be a model for making a difference in the lives of others and to bring about efforts to end human misery for all mankind,” his children stated. “One of his favorite quotes was ‘reach for the stars. Although you will never touch them, if you reach hard enough, you will find you get a little ‘star dust’ on you in the process.’”

Humbled to be an Iowan--oksewglad
Old 09-15-2009, 07:33 AM

Thanks for posting this! I love hearing about people like this. I will be looking him up and reading about him.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:20 AM

Ya know after reading this and thinking about another semi famous person dying got me to thinking.....
We mourn when friends and family pass and are sad when someone who know or know of pass.......BUT what do most people realy want from thier passing?
In my opnion its to be remembered and to insipre others to be the best they can be. They want others to learn from thier lessons and to pass them on.

I have decided this holiday season...now 100 days till christmas uuugggg
I am going to be remembering those I have loved and lost and those who I either knew or heard about or only knew the stage name they choose.
I am going to see where in my life I can use thier lessons and improve myself and hopefuly become a better person. What better way to give a trubute to those who have some way shape or form touched my life.
I heard a few years ago that people come into your life for a reason, a season , or a lifetime. I want each of them to really be in my life for a lifetime and this is one way to do that. :D

OK back to yor regular chit chat LOL
Old 09-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MsSage
Ya know after reading this and thinking about another semi famous person dying got me to thinking.....
We mourn when friends and family pass and are sad when someone who know or know of pass.......BUT what do most people realy want from thier passing?
In my opnion its to be remembered and to insipre others to be the best they can be. They want others to learn from thier lessons and to pass them on.

I have decided this holiday season...now 100 days till christmas uuugggg
I am going to be remembering those I have loved and lost and those who I either knew or heard about or only knew the stage name they choose.
I am going to see where in my life I can use thier lessons and improve myself and hopefuly become a better person. What better way to give a trubute to those who have some way shape or form touched my life.
I heard a few years ago that people come into your life for a reason, a season , or a lifetime. I want each of them to really be in my life for a lifetime and this is one way to do that. :D

OK back to yor regular chit chat LOL
How inspiring!! You perfectly touch on the message I wanted to share with you all.
Personally I've started my own tribute to Norman that I hope to see in a children's book--if nothing more than a book for my grandchildren. And oh yes, I have the workings for a little quilt spinning in my head, too.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

A wonderful person and someone to look up to.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

oksewglad, how interesting. Your right, I had never heard of Norman Borlaug, but he touched a lot of lives.
Love to see your quilt...let me guess, it will have stars on it? maybe over a wheat field?
If you post a pic of it, when finished, I will sure be checking. Love the idea of a children's book too. This is such an inspirational story, and a perfect example of how, a seemingly ordinary person, can do some extraordinary things in a quiet way.
You never really know what that quiet little person in the corner has on their mind. A reminder we shouldn't underestimate ppl :wink:
Old 09-16-2009, 11:16 AM

Thank you for posting this he sounds like a thoughful person.