100 grandkids

Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 AM

I don't know how many grand kids there are on either side, My mom was one of 10, My dad one of 20, and I know that I have approximately 70 first cousins out of that. The next generation boggles my mind, and I don't think I can count that High. No one needs to know how many second cousins they have. My daughter moved to my home town, and I told my granddaughters that dating when they are teenagers will be difficult, because most of the people in town are probably related
Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by CharlotteO View Post
I don't know how many grand kids there are on either side, My mom was one of 10, My dad one of 20, and I know that I have approximately 70 first cousins out of that. The next generation boggles my mind, and I don't think I can count that High. No one needs to know how many second cousins they have. My daughter moved to my home town, and I told my granddaughters that dating when they are teenagers will be difficult, because most of the people in town are probably related
My kids had the same issue when dating..as we live in the same town as our entire family grew up in. So they have to deal with lots of family from both sides. They all dated woman that moved to the area and had no ties..or completely from other areas. They also hated that my husbands family is very very well known and liked..so they had a higher risk of getting busted for doing dumb kid things. lolol
Old 01-09-2012, 07:55 AM

Mmmm...if it takes a village to raise a child, and the whole village is related, he is raised by family and kinfolk.

Seriously, someone needs to start writing down family genealogy before it is lost this generation or the next. Older folk die off, the thread is lost on who is who in the family. Pictures also help...as well as grave stones and cemetery knowledge on who is buried where. Illiness that run in the family...the abilities that run in the family and the funny stories all can share as family memories are priceless and there for the asking. Some amazing quilts may be lurking in their attics in trunks. Worth looking into, and discovering many treasures!!

I was raised by foster grandparents, did not really get to know any family growing up and know my ancestors by name until now through genealogy study of those passed on. Cannot imagine a whole town of family. Wow.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 AM

Reminds me of the Duggans on TV. My grandfather sired 16 children, but have no idea where they are or who they are. I don't have enough time to check that out.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Wow I would never remember half their names.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:32 AM

Wow this is awesome but at the same time when he gets older and needs to call one by name I wonder how many names he goes through before he gets the correct one? LOL I bet Santa has to spend lots of time at his house just leaving gifts......lol I bet he is for sure busier now going to all the grandkids activites in his golden year than he ever did going to his own kids events. But at the same time all of this life around him will keep him younger and with them longer I bet.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:22 PM

I would lose my mind, imagine the holidays.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations View Post
Wow this is awesome but at the same time when he gets older and needs to call one by name I wonder how many names he goes through before he gets the correct one? LOL I bet Santa has to spend lots of time at his house just leaving gifts......lol I bet he is for sure busier now going to all the grandkids activites in his golden year than he ever did going to his own kids events. But at the same time all of this life around him will keep him younger and with them longer I bet.
I bet his GK's get what I got from my grandma - a dollar bill in a card!!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by kayluvs2quilt View Post
I usually can't remember the names of all of my 6 grandkids....takes me several minutes of intense brain busting. No way I could remember that many...
I hear that, Mom had trouble with only us four! For a long time I thought my whole name was "Rich, I mean Bob, I mean Deb, I mean Sue"! When she threw Arlo (the family dog) into the mix it clicked that Mom wasn't so good with names.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:18 AM

Wow. I come from parents with 1 sib each, I am 1 of 2, and my sister had 1 child, and I had 2. We have 1 grandchild each and my other daughter wants to adopt rather than procreate. Too many people! I guess when there were farms to tend, that was okay, but now it is almost sinful.
Congratulations, but way too many people!