Absence of Hummingbirds?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Wow ! Thank you for sharing...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:30 AM

I am so thrilled as we finally got some this year--only a few, but at least I have some. We didn't have any for two years when we first moved to this housing division. I just get so excited when I see one of these amazing creatures that God created for us.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:32 AM

We use to have 2 hummers and lots of bees at the feeder. Haven't seen either at all this year. Hubby said he saw one several times back in May, but nothing since. Still put the feeder out hoping to see them.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:37 AM

I'm in Northern Ky too but haven't seen my usual couple that we had before. Sure am disappointed. I loved sitting on my back porch and could count on seeing them come to the feeder. One was even brave enough to hover in front of me chirping. Sure miss them. I still put the feeder out for them and keep it fresh for them...just in case.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:02 PM

Well I have to agree with Lady T.............if you are missing humming birds they are at her house, and mine. We must live in the migratory path in Tn. Have 9 feeders which I fill every other day..........My husband stocked up on 20 bags of sugar, we have 5 left. Her video on you tube was great. We have more than we can count........we have counted at least 40, but you go blind trying to count them when they come in to feed..........We love our birds.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:51 PM

I have to share a hummer story with you all. I spotted Inky the cat(yep, he's black) with something in his mouth I ran over and sure enough, he had a little hummer! I grabed him at the back of the neck and the little, tiny bird just fell to the ground. I was so upset and picked up the dead little fellow and placed him in a shoe box, since the next day was trash pick-up I just placed it on the patio table with a rock on top. I said a little prayer to God asking for blessings for the little bird and asked if Inky could be deterred from killing any more birds. Next morning I went out early to place the little hummer in the trash and just peeked in, why I don't know, and the little guy just zipped straight up and then down to my eye level, hovered a second as if to say thanks1 and then zipped over the roof and hovered again. In a flash, he was gone. I have since rescued 4 more little hummers from Inky, but they were saved just as he caught them and they quickly flew away, albeit with a few missing tiny feathers. Hopefully, they have spread the word about the wicked black cat in Oceanside, Ca!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 PM

I have only seen one this year..my feeders have been up for over 2 weeks. I have had to take them down and clean them out and then replace the nectar. They weren't hardly missing any nectar when I cleaned them out. Our weather has been weird this year. crafty_linda_b
Old 07-15-2011, 08:41 PM

EMFs from cell phone towers might be the cause - it's been implicated in the demise of the honeybee population.