Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice for Fall trip to Europe >

Advice for Fall trip to Europe

Advice for Fall trip to Europe

Old 05-07-2014, 07:46 AM

Default Advice for Fall trip to Europe

My sister and I will be going to Europe this Fall. It is our first European trip and we are getting excited!! I'm looking for words of advice from people who have been or who live there. We're flying into Barcelona, Spain and will be there for a couple of days before we leave on a cruise that hits the following cities/counties: Provence (Toulon), France; Florence/Pisa (Livorno) Italy; Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy; Naples, Italy; Mykonos, Greeece; Instanbul, Turkey; Kusadasi, Turkey; Athens (Piraeus), Greece; and ending back up in Venice, Italy for a couple of days.

Since it's a cruise, most of the city visits will be from 8 or 9 in the morning until some time in the evening. We would (of course) like to maximize our time and see as much as we can. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm looking forward to some great advice from my online friends!!

Thanks in advance :-D
Old 05-07-2014, 04:24 PM

You should be able to find out what excursions are offered at each port on the cruise and ship site.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:47 AM

I could spend a week in Barcelona,......again!
You could easily spend a day in the central old quarter on Les Ramblas and in the old market. And of course a visit to Gaudi's buildings and cathedral La Sagrada Familia would take another day. And I would spend the rest of the time on a café and people watch.
MaryKAtherine
Old 05-08-2014, 03:02 AM

Have a wonderful, safe trip!! I have been to Spain many, many years ago. Enjoy yourself.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:16 AM

Have fun but remember the euro is up so $1=.74€ on a good day. We've been stationed in Germany for over 2 years it's very expensive to travel and eat here. On a good note the scenery is fantastic! Pay attention to your custom limits which is $100. Enjoy!!!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:05 AM

OK, I will suggest a few things: In Naples, be very very careful of your belongings, they rob you right on the street. No jewelry, keep your passport and money on your body, not in a purse. We were robbed and the police will come right up to you and tell you to take your jewelry off. In Venice, walk and walk and just enjoy the beautiful city. Get a map of Rome and see the highlights, take buses to get around and see all you can. My friend Joan just came back from Turkey and said she contacted a tourist agency there that was fabulous. Any trips from the cruise lines will not as good as local tourist agencies. Have fun and wear good shoes and take lots of money. The prices are way higher there than in the US.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:32 AM

"OK, I will suggest a few things: In Naples, be very very careful of your belongings, they rob you right on the street. No jewelry, keep your passport and money on your body, not in a purse."

I agree with Wanabee Quiltin. The pick pockets are everywhere in Rome. Enjoy your cruise. I went on almost the identical cruise a few years ago and I stayed an extra week in Rome. The cruise staff warned us about Rome and, thankfully, I had been warned by friends and had locks on my purse that were very visible. Our travel guide had her wallet taken out of her 'security' purse right in front of me on the train but fortunately another person right in next to me saw the incident and tackled the pick pocketer. She got her wallet back and the thief had just got off the train. Don't buy purses from the street vendors in Rome. It is illegal for the vendors to sell them and you, the purchaser, would be the one fined. The fine was $3,000 when I was there. I don't mean to scare you but want you to have a great time!
Old 05-08-2014, 01:46 PM

My trips to Europe have been to Germany so I can't give advice on the cities you're visiting. I have been on 3 cruises and would mention though, that the cruises usually offer excursions you can take at each port. They are usually more expensive that what you can see to book yourself. However there is one advantage to booking from the ship, at least in our case (a Carnival ship) they guarantee to get you back in time for sailing, hold the ship, or get you to the next port. If you book outside the ship, and you get back late, you are on your own to get to the next port. This happened to us on an excursion in Belize, the bus blew a tire about 45 minutes out (we had gone to see some Mayan ruins) coming back. We had to wait for a replacement bus to come. We were to late for the last tender back to the ship, but they had a special (very fast) tender waiting for us with a ship security officer. The ship had turned around heading out to sea, and was waiting for us, and sailed as soon as we were onboard. As we got on, people at the rails were cheering, so I guess they announced they were waiting for us. We were very glad we had booked that tour through the ship.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:50 PM

We haven't been to Spain or France but our cruise took us the rest of the places you are going with the addition of Egypt. It was so much fun. Highlight was Mass at the Vatican celebrated by Pope John Paul.
Be sure to visit the Grand Bazaar and barter. I got a great leather purse for $30 after I bartered and he wanted $85. Beware of the good looking Turkish men who have families in the rug business .
We did a bus tour on the Amalfi coast and it is breathtaking. The ride was breathtaking too!
Eating in a seaside restaurant in Piraeus is unforgettable. You may have a feral kitty next to you waiting for your fish scraps.
You will have a wonderful time. Just keep your belongings close to your body.

Last edited by skaduzy; 05-08-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:31 PM

Hi Debbie, Would you mind sharing the cruise line your using. I would like to check it out.
Thanks Judy