Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Advice please - granite, quartz or similar countertops

I put in a high grade laminate, and love it. It is easy to clean and looks good always. My old laminate lasted over 40 years without any problems. They come in all colors and styles.

We are in the process of picking everything for a kitchen overhaul. Our counters- I'm guessing they will be quartz (no maintenance- I work too many hours!) because I can't get anyone to work with me to install recycled glass ones. They are set in resin and are awesome! I love color and I want color and not be like anyone else. My sink is farmhouse style in colbalt blue. (Did I mention I like color?) the back splash with be either white subway tile with an insert of a collection of my sea glass or mosaic tile in beachy colors. Cabinets are medium tones with a darker wash- I think it's called cinnamon maple. My stove is a Jenn Air 6 burner with a stainless steel and glass hood. The microwave is a drawer (also Jenn Air). My floor, hopefully will stay the same- I spent a ton of money on it when we built the house 14 years ago and I love it- it has tumbled edges. The color is greens and blues and tans. I did do something stupid and picked light beige grout, but I had them steam cleaned recently and sealed and it looks brand new! I am left handed and the kitchen layout is moving a bit to accommodate my hatred of corner cabinets and lazy susans. UGH! the island will become longer as the refrigerator moves to a different wall. Adding some more cabinets, overhead ones with glass doors and lighted to show off my crystal and carnival glass collection. Still trying to find someone to do those countertops.....

Blog Entries
    Oh what a great question - I had water damage in my kitchen over a month ago, and am trying to decide how to proceed with the fix up - I'm interested in new counter tops too - adjusting my current island so it will have a larger surface area to accommodate chairs for dining and make fabric cutting easier too!

I have soapstone counters and love them. You have to oil or wax in the beginning to get them to turn black with a patina. Scratches can be sanded out but they will chip if hit hard enough. We have an old house and they just feel right.

I redid my kitchen last year and I put Corian in rather that granite or quartz. It's a bit more durable (you can't chip it like quartz or granite) and I love the integrated sink. I have them in the master bath and they are so easy to clean. No edges or ridges to clean around. Just spray and wipe. I don't like the shiny look. Like Onebyone, too bad for the next owners if they were hoping for granite. I remodel for me, not for the next person to own it.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Manny articles are saying granite is going out of style now.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri D View Post
    No one mentioned Corian. I suppose it's not "trendy" but I love my Corian counter tops -- all one piece with coved backsplash and sink molded right in so there are no seams anywhere where gunk can hide. Clean-up is a breeze.
    I'm with you Teri D, I love my Corian kitchen countertops.

We put Corian in our home when we did a remodel, we sold that home after having it for 30 years. Retired to AZ and took out the granite counter tops and put in Corian. We didn't like AZ and moved back to the Rocky Mountains and built a home here, we chose Corian counter tops in our home here. Needless to say we totally appreciate our Corian with coved back splash, no seams, molded extra deep sinks, no seams. What appealed and still appeals to me is it is seamless and easy to sanitize.

I have also have Corian around my laundry sink and my kitchen computer center desk top is matching Corian.

We went with Silestone engineered, which looks like quartz without being porous in our bathrooms. I love glitter and sparkle and the specs of sparkle in the Silestone counter tops totally had me wanting that in the bathrooms.

I agree with Teri D that Corian is not the trend right now. Regarding resale we sold two homes with people thinking the Corian was a plus as it was considered upgrades in the listings.

Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

We redid our kitchen 5 years ago....it was a very dark room...we updated with white cabinets, another skylight, and for a splash of color, my husband wanted a red counter top for the island. The only red we could find that we liked was Ceaserstone, love, love, love it.
    Pat

I have granite and love it. You can set hot items on it and not worry about scorching your counter. Only downside I've seen is if you drop bowls, etc. on it...That's the end of that one.

We redid our kitchen in 2010, we used Granite Impression, looks like granite, but it's not.
    Our neighbors liked it so much they redid their kitchen in the exact same one in an effort to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
    We redid our kitchen in 2010, we used Granite Impression, looks like granite, but it's not.
    Our neighbors liked it so much they redid their kitchen in the exact same one in an effort to sell.
    http://industry.arcelormittal.com/re...leaflet_EN.pdf

Is this it? Interesting
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by Sandee View Post
    I've heard that also. Along with stainless appliances.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Things do come and go.
    Alyce

I redid my kitchen last year. Nice granite countertops. Don't have to wipe them a lot. Because it's a busy speckled pattern and a lighter color, it doesn't show much. Cabinets, countertops, and backsplash tiles all came from Lowe's.

Name:  kitchen-complete.jpeg
Views: 90
Size:  1.12 MB

Blog Entries
    I also chose Corian when I redid my kitchen. Home Depot had a special which included an integrated, deep double sink for free. I just make sure I have a trivet on each part of the counter to put hot things on. Otherwise I do nothing special to keep them clean. I do notice that if water sits on them (like around the faucet), they get a rough texture, but it doesn't affect the look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I see a lot of granite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I put butcher block counter tops in my kitchen. The realtor said it only granite sells homes if we decided to sell. So sorry to disappoint the future buyers. LOL I guess I'm the only one that does not like the look of granite. Every house I go into has granite and most are speckled with so much blobs of color it looks cluttered. I do like the cement counter tops. And I saw a home with sealed brick countertops. Amazing and the owner did it himself.
    I feel the same as you since there are so many kinds out there now.

According to the decorating blogs that my DD reads granite and stainless are going out of fashion. The modern country look is taking it's place, whatever that is. I love French Country but it takes a very big kitchen for that look.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

That modern country look is not appealing to me at all. I guess people will continue to put in what they like, and we will continue to have discussions about it
    Alyce

I have new granite countertops in my kitchen and I don't like them. It is supposedly pre-treated and no-maintenance for the first few years, stain-proof and all that. It isn't. I have two large spots now that are darker than the rest of the counter, we think from oil/grease, that won't come clean, and it's only been installed for about 8 months. I kind of hate it now and wish we'd paid the extra to get quartz. *sigh* All I can do is hope the entire counter ends up equally stained by the time we want to sell, or we'll probably end up re-doing the counters AGAIN in order to sell it.

In our prior house, we had dark green quartz counters put in and I LOVED it. We used the heck out of that kitchen and it still looked brand new after 4 years when we sold the house. Never got a chip or scratch or a stain, and we weren't particularly careful with it after the first year or so.

Neither of my kitchens had a lot of direct sunlight, thinking about it...so streaks haven't really been an issue with either - if they're there, I can't see 'em. The current granite counter is fairly light, but with all the speckles I think it actually hides dirt more than the dark green counters did, which is a drawback in my mind. I want to know when my kitchen counters are dirty! If (when) my husband spills sugar on the counter while making his coffee, it's totally invisible now. On the old dark green counters it stood out like sore thumb. I hate setting something down and hearing that gritty sound...yuck. Makes me feel like my kitchen is full of invisible filth.

If I ever replace counters in a kitchen again, I'm definitely going back to dark colored quartz. I REALLY miss my old countertops.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    I did granite recently because although my dh does not like it, I need it so I can put hot cookies trays and casserole dishes or hot pans down on it without having to look for a trivet or something else to sit them on. It's kind of noisy (the reason dh doesn't like it) but otherwise it's great. You can now seal granite with the newer sealers for around 5 or 15 years (I've forgotten which) instead of so often now. With a small kitchen, I would not be without it for reasons mentioned. Don't know anything about quartz.

I took am fed up with the "got to have stainless and granite" push. I don't even like stainless but will not be changing it in the current house for a long time so have to live with it. Good luck in your search.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2