Alaska cruise

Old 06-30-2017, 06:51 PM

Default Alaska cruise

Going on my first cruise in July to Alaska. Do any of you have some tips for packing, etc.?
Not expecting this to be a warm weather adventure, but a beautiful trip. I am not a seasoned traveler, so any tips are welcome. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:04 PM

It's not as cold as you would expect. We were there in early August and I remember wearing jeans, short or long sleeve shirts and a medium weight jacket. If you go ashore to shop/explore be sure to wear sturdy shoes or boots. There are a lot of puddles and or mud around so sandals are definitely out!

Edited to add, if you like to cook check out the Ulu Knives. I picked one up and it works really well!
Old 06-30-2017, 07:42 PM

along with medium weight jacket, I would tuck in some small stretchy gloves. Since you sew, cut a piece of fleece to match your jacket 12" x 60" to use as a neck scarf. The breeze on the water is cool. My neck, hands and feet are always cold. Enjoy!
Old 06-30-2017, 07:46 PM

I love my Ulu knife. There are many imitations, so best to buy real thing. Anchorage has the Ulu factory.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:49 AM

Take things so you can layer. Take some gloves, a hat, and maybe a scarf. Don't forget some rain gear. I went in late July and it was cold and windy.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:42 AM

We also went in August and found the weather as warm as the mainland USA. I think there were a couple days that were even warmer than the mainland. A windbreaker type jacket, one light sweater that goes with anything, and closed toe shoes for excursions off the ship. Check to see if there are any formal dinners. Our ship had two and one could attend or not. Kind of fun to see everyone dressed to the nines!
Old 07-01-2017, 04:16 AM

Raincoat is a mus
Old 07-01-2017, 04:18 AM

Meant raincoat is a must.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:28 AM

We LOVE Alaska. We have been visiting for many years. Plan for rain. Plan for rain EVERY day. If it does not rain, then you are pleasantly surprised. Just remember that even if it rains, the scenery is gorgeous. I agree with others - take a lightweight waterproof jacket WITH A HOOD. Don't fool with an umbrella because you will want to have your hands free. Also, if you have a pair of binoculars at home, take them. They sell them on the ships but you pay a lot for them. You may see eagles and bear while going through the glacier parks and will want a close up look. There are usually 1 1/2 or 2 days in open water that can be a little rough at certain times of the year. It's not a bad idea to bring Dramamine. Otherwise, just pack like you would for any other vacation - comfortable clothes! ENJOY, I hope you love it!!! There are quilt shops in Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau. All three have fabrics and kits depicting Alaskan prints.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:27 AM

I recall a friend selected clothes for a trip at a thrift shop. Instead of repacking as she wore them, she felt she could discard those, leaving room in her suitcase for new fabric and other purchases to take home instead of "dirty" laundry.