Amongst the hobblers here

Old 09-22-2010, 09:21 PM

Well I am hobbling along on one foot. Monday evening I was in the backyard & to make a long story short.... the top os an old 110 yr old park bench that weighs 400-600 lbs, toppled over onto my right foot. It is 3-4 inches of solid cement. It was leaned up against the fence & my huge male Malamute thought a mouse was behind it. He actually budged that heavy thing enough that it just toppled right on over onto me before I could get out of the way. I cried and yelled until my DH came to see what I was doing outside for so long. I was in so much pain I was sick to my stomach but he helped me to the patio. Went to the After Hrs ER place & they siad they don't think it is broken. With it so swollen I guess it would be hard to tell. I see the Ortho. Dr Friday morning & hoping for an MRI. Darn foot os so swollen it does not even come close to resembling a foot. Sooo I am on pain meds & as of today have a cool little walker on wheels with a seat on it to get around on. Crutches & I did not work so well together. Not on these drugs. :roll: What yall do not know about me is that I am "The World's Biggest Klutz!" My poor DH has taken off from his job so he can help me out until we know what is what. Ice, elevating the foot has done nothing at all as for the swelling. It just keeps getting more huge! :shock: To our surprise it is not all colors. Bruising is spotted. What is up with that? :roll: So I will try to keep up my post count but it may not make a lick of sense. :D Take care & I hope you get to enjoy the beginning of Fall. My fav. time of year. :wink:
Old 09-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Power Poster

Keep the ice on it and keep it elevated even if you don't think it is helping. I hope you feel better really soon. I know what it is like: Been there, done that!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:33 PM

That sound like something that would happen in our yard!

My sweetie-pie believes that if he puts something somewhere 'safe', it is safe - this after raising 3 kids! I can't tell you how many single edge razor blades I've removed from 'safe' places that kids can easily see and reach! I'm particularly cautious about razor blades. When I was about 14, my Dad put one (double edge) in the soap bar and left it there. I was next up for the bathroom, wet my washcloth, picked up the soap without looking, and, "unbeknownst" to me, the razor blade, too. Imagine my horror when I saw the razor blade while rinsing the washcloth out AFTER washing my face!!!! God was watching over me that morning!

I hope you feel better soon. We'll all be thinking of you, so let us know what the Dr says.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:01 PM

So sorry to hear about your accident. Hope it gets better and is not broken. Keep us posted.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Google Goddess

take care of yourself

hugs hugs
Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 PM

Im so sorry...
I got into a battle with a bread knife at work and now have 10 stitches...
Kirsten
Old 09-22-2010, 10:22 PM

Oh I am so sorry your foot is so hurt. I have to agree with others keep the ice and elevate very important too much swelling can cause more issues. Take care hope it feels better soon
Old 09-23-2010, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

Oh honey, I'm so sorry for you!! Sending hugs and good wishes. Be sure to let us know how you make out.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:09 AM

Oh my, I am so feeling your pain. Had a picnic bench my DH made out of 2 - 3" white oak fall over on my foot last year. Bench easily weighs 125 or more pounds. Thought I was going to die. Gosh that hurt. Thought it was broken, swelled immediately, goofy bruising, [i]indented[i/[ my foot the width of the board for a year, and to this day, my skin reacts goofy in that spot. Thankfully, nothing broken.

Lots of ice, elavation, rest, and meds for pain and swelling. Oh, and a nice soft slipper to wear.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:14 AM

So sorry about your foot. I know about Malamutes; we used to have one, half husky half malamute. My husband was walking him one day when he (the dog) saw something he just HAD to go after. Ended up with my husband having a broken wrist from the leash. We all learned then not to wrap the leash around our wrist.