Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: animal shelter

Quote Originally Posted by jetayre View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input...I think I am going to put fleece or flannel on one side and toweling on other. That will give them a warm side and even a towel side. I am starting tomorrow. Found some scrap fleece. Maybe I can do two or three.
    They should work up pretty easy for you. Again, it is very thoughtful and helpful to do this for the shelters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
    I've always worried that the way dogs scratch at their bedding to "rearrange" it, that they will scratch a hole and then the scraps will be harmful. This is not a worry????
    yes, the could be a problem but the shelters (at least the rescue / foster groups) are pretty good about knowing which ones dig and could do this. then they just give them blankets and not the stuffed kind.

I have a dachshund who are diggers. Chip has several stuffed beds but I make sure his are "loosely" stuffed so he can root around in it and get it comfy. so far, no problems.

The dachshund rescue group I know (where I got Chip) says she doesn't give her doxies beds if they tend to chew on things.

I was concerned about this too so did some research.

hope this helps.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Thanks for your answer, Vicki G. I always have lots of scraps so guess I'd better start stuffing.....LOL!

I let my sewing group know that I was making dog/cat beds and then they donated fleece and cut up batting that was cut off of quilts after they were quilted. Sewed up the fleece into a pillow case style; started stuffing about 1/3 of the bed, then sewed across side to side, continued stuffing to about 1/3 again, sewed, and on last part stuffed and sewed the last seam.
    The shelter loved them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
    Thanks for your answer, Vicki G. I always have lots of scraps so guess I'd better start stuffing.....LOL!
    you're very welcome. feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. I'll try to help. I love animals in general but helping these shelters and rescue groups has become a passion for me lately.

another item that foster groups really need are belly bands. this protects the homes from male dogs from marking. I'm trying to develop a good pattern since some (like my doxie) can slip out of them. these can be made from the bigger scraps.
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
    I let my sewing group know that I was making dog/cat beds and then they donated fleece and cut up batting that was cut off of quilts after they were quilted. Sewed up the fleece into a pillow case style; started stuffing about 1/3 of the bed, then sewed across side to side, continued stuffing to about 1/3 again, sewed, and on last part stuffed and sewed the last seam.
    The shelter loved them.
    if I can input here, try not to accept batting that has adhesive spray on it (or just toss it if you get any). the spray could have a negative effect on the animals. not saying it will but I just don't use it. I also don't use any fusible scraps. I figure we make enough scraps, we can afford to toss some of the not so desirable ones LOL

I love your idea of the 3 sections. I'll have to try that!! thanks!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G

Blog Entries
    Great that you are helping the animals. I also make quilts for our Miniature Pinscher rescue. thanks everyone for all the ideas and input.

Quote Originally Posted by jetayre View Post
    I decided to stop at our rural animal shelter to see if they could use an occasional pet blanket if I made one. I assumed with all the sewers around they probably had a group or groups that did something. They do newborns, cancer camps, nursing homes, etc. The gal said no one did anything-that they got their bedding from hotel, motels old towels etc. So I told them I would drop something off once in a while. I am retired and don't have much money. Would like to do fleece, etc but decided I could use my scraps, etc to make a few. I have to do something that is needed or wanted. I don't have storage room to make quilts for rainy days so I thought this would fit the bill and I will try to lawn sale to pick up material . Now I have to decide the size, maybe a hand towel size for cats and a bath towel size for dogs. ......any of you that do this have a suggestion on the best practical size?
    Just wondering how it is going with your sewing for the animal shelter. I am working on some pet blankets now and will try to get them down there in the next couple of days.
    Serita

Quote Originally Posted by pal View Post
    I keep a bucket near my sewing area. When it is full of scraps I put handfuls on the cutting mat and cut them with the rotary cutter until they are all diced. Then make pillow cases of any size and fill them 3/4 full and sew them up. Then they go to an animal shelter.
    How small do you cut the pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
    The shelter loved them.
    Great idea! Less likely for the inside fabric stuffing to clump but possibly too firm for MY own furkids.

I made several beds for my kitties. Cut up scraps into small pieces, stuffed in like a pillow case. But found out using too much stuffing was too heavy to wash & would take forever to dry. And didn't use small stitches, so in some places came apart.
    This is such a great thing to do!!! I've made several but just haven't got them delivered..
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2