animal shelter

Old 05-20-2014, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
I let my sewing group know that I was making dog/cat beds and then they donated fleece and cut up batting that was cut off of quilts after they were quilted. Sewed up the fleece into a pillow case style; started stuffing about 1/3 of the bed, then sewed across side to side, continued stuffing to about 1/3 again, sewed, and on last part stuffed and sewed the last seam.
The shelter loved them.
if I can input here, try not to accept batting that has adhesive spray on it (or just toss it if you get any). the spray could have a negative effect on the animals. not saying it will but I just don't use it. I also don't use any fusible scraps. I figure we make enough scraps, we can afford to toss some of the not so desirable ones LOL

I love your idea of the 3 sections. I'll have to try that!! thanks!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:05 AM

Great that you are helping the animals. I also make quilts for our Miniature Pinscher rescue. thanks everyone for all the ideas and input.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by jetayre View Post
I decided to stop at our rural animal shelter to see if they could use an occasional pet blanket if I made one. I assumed with all the sewers around they probably had a group or groups that did something. They do newborns, cancer camps, nursing homes, etc. The gal said no one did anything-that they got their bedding from hotel, motels old towels etc. So I told them I would drop something off once in a while. I am retired and don't have much money. Would like to do fleece, etc but decided I could use my scraps, etc to make a few. I have to do something that is needed or wanted. I don't have storage room to make quilts for rainy days so I thought this would fit the bill and I will try to lawn sale to pick up material . Now I have to decide the size, maybe a hand towel size for cats and a bath towel size for dogs. ......any of you that do this have a suggestion on the best practical size?
Just wondering how it is going with your sewing for the animal shelter. I am working on some pet blankets now and will try to get them down there in the next couple of days.
Serita
Old 11-09-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by pal View Post
I keep a bucket near my sewing area. When it is full of scraps I put handfuls on the cutting mat and cut them with the rotary cutter until they are all diced. Then make pillow cases of any size and fill them 3/4 full and sew them up. Then they go to an animal shelter.
How small do you cut the pieces?
Old 11-09-2015, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
I let my sewing group know that I was making dog/cat beds and then they donated fleece and cut up batting that was cut off of quilts after they were quilted. Sewed up the fleece into a pillow case style; started stuffing about 1/3 of the bed, then sewed across side to side, continued stuffing to about 1/3 again, sewed, and on last part stuffed and sewed the last seam.
The shelter loved them.
Great idea! Less likely for the inside fabric stuffing to clump but possibly too firm for MY own furkids.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:05 AM

I made several beds for my kitties. Cut up scraps into small pieces, stuffed in like a pillow case. But found out using too much stuffing was too heavy to wash & would take forever to dry. And didn't use small stitches, so in some places came apart.
This is such a great thing to do!!! I've made several but just haven't got them delivered..