Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: animal shelter

  1. #1
    Super Member jetayre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    2,301
    Blog Entries
    7

    animal shelter

    I decided to stop at our rural animal shelter to see if they could use an occasional pet blanket if I made one. I assumed with all the sewers around they probably had a group or groups that did something. They do newborns, cancer camps, nursing homes, etc. The gal said no one did anything-that they got their bedding from hotel, motels old towels etc. So I told them I would drop something off once in a while. I am retired and don't have much money. Would like to do fleece, etc but decided I could use my scraps, etc to make a few. I have to do something that is needed or wanted. I don't have storage room to make quilts for rainy days so I thought this would fit the bill and I will try to lawn sale to pick up material . Now I have to decide the size, maybe a hand towel size for cats and a bath towel size for dogs. ......any of you that do this have a suggestion on the best practical size?

  2. #2
    dd
    dd is offline
    Super Member dd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,776
    Ask them what size the cages are and make them fit the cages. Also, don't forget all those tiny scraps you normally throw away. I throw them into a pillowcase from GW. When the case if full, I sew it shut and have a dog bed. I go to church with a vet and he takes them to the clinic. Says they always need dog beds.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

  3. #3
    Super Member Doggramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Wis
    Posts
    5,317
    I dropped off a bunch of polar fleece blankets at the animal hospital that saved one of the granddogs. I made a couple different sizes. Most were in the 24x36 range. A few were larger, in the 30x40 range.
    Lori

    *********

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,199
    Quote Originally Posted by jetayre View Post
    I decided to stop at our rural animal shelter to see if they could use an occasional pet blanket if I made one. I assumed with all the sewers around they probably had a group or groups that did something. They do newborns, cancer camps, nursing homes, etc. The gal said no one did anything-that they got their bedding from hotel, motels old towels etc. So I told them I would drop something off once in a while. I am retired and don't have much money. Would like to do fleece, etc but decided I could use my scraps, etc to make a few. I have to do something that is needed or wanted. I don't have storage room to make quilts for rainy days so I thought this would fit the bill and I will try to lawn sale to pick up material . Now I have to decide the size, maybe a hand towel size for cats and a bath towel size for dogs. ......any of you that do this have a suggestion on the best practical size?
    My shelter is pretty happy to take anything. I used to make pet beds but started thinking that maybe laundering these could cause a problem. I did mention it to a staff member, and they did state they don't have the best laundry equipment. So I started making pet blankets out of flannel on one side and muslin on the other (a kind of warm/cool idea). I end up making them about 36"or so square. For larger animals, they can use them as is, for smaller then can fold them up easily. And laundry shouldn't be a problem. Some turned out pretty cute, so I embroider Made for (name of animal shelter) to show ownership.

    I have seen people drop off sheets, etc. But the shelter also likes to get paper towels, cleaning supplies, etc.

    Serita
    Last edited by slbram17; 05-15-2014 at 11:19 AM.

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,199
    It's very nice of you to take the time to help out the animal shelter. I'm sure they would love any help you can provide.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,199
    To keep costs down, I buy the flannel on sale from Joanns. After Thanksgiving, it was under $2 a yard.

  7. #7
    Super Member NUTMEG10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    LONDONDERRY, NH
    Posts
    1,568
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have made over 100 small quilts (sizes vary for cats and dogs- Doggramma listed good sizes) and donated to Humane Society and they were sooooo grateful to get them. I used cotton on one side and flannel on the other with batting. Check yard sales and flea markets for fabric as you can get some great buys.


    Doris

  8. #8
    dd
    dd is offline
    Super Member dd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,776
    They like towels too for bathing the dogs. Cats, not so much. I made my cat a sleeping bag when he had to stay over night. He likes to snuggle under quilts. Figured that gave him padding in the cage, smelled like home and he could snuggle in it. It was cold and raining when I picked him up so I just slid him inside and carried him to the car. Vet really liked it too.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

  9. #9
    pal
    pal is offline
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Posts
    1,818
    I keep a bucket near my sewing area. When it is full of scraps I put handfuls on the cutting mat and cut them with the rotary cutter until they are all diced. Then make pillow cases of any size and fill them 3/4 full and sew them up. Then they go to an animal shelter.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

    "All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

  10. #10
    Super Member Wanabee Quiltin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    St. Louis suburbs
    Posts
    6,085
    I would definitely ask them what they need. They know better than anyone what works for them. I have dropped off my old towels and rugs and blankets and they were very happy to get them. I have some fabric that I will not be using, scraps from curtains etc and I never thought about them for the dog shelters. The dogs will have wonderful bedding if I make them that. Thanks for the ideas.

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Deep South near Cajun Country, USA
    Posts
    4,128
    Thank you for bringing this conversation to the site. I am going to make some simple bedding mats for the shelters. I have some of the "What were you thinking" cheap fabric that I no longer want. This sounds like a great way to use up some of it. And I have a bunch of smaller pieces of batting that I just couldn't bring myself to throw away. I figure if I just cross hatch across the area, it will be held in place enough for the dogs to enjoy, and still be washable. And, because I know dogs will scratch at any bed that is made for them, I am going to use very tiny stitches for the quilting, otherwise, they might tear a toenail off.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

  12. #12
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    3
    I have 2 kennels my fur babies sleep in. Those are the sizes I make. Sometimes I just pull the scrap I have and if it's big enough or about the size of, I just make it that size. No need to cut much smaller. Hancock's are having a Blow-Out sale and yesterday I got a good deal on couple bolts of fabric. The fabric was 90% off. I got 8 yards for $8.00 for one bolt and another bolt 7yards for $9.00. Then went to SA and they were having a sale on plus size at 50%. 3 patio dresses (xxxl) $3.00 each. For those who don't know what a patio dress is, it's just a house dress with a very full skirt. You can imagine the amount of fabric for a xxxl! I showed DH what I got and what it was for. He said "Puppies and kitties will be very happy. I know what we're doing this weekend" He helps me wash all the fabric and then helps sew the blankets. He likes doing the blankets the "Jenny Doan" way! LOL!!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    809
    I make little mats for the cats at our local shelter. I went to the shelter to ask if they want any mats, they measured the cage and subtracted the space needed for the litter boxes and feeding dishes. The mats are made from scrap fabric and I use old blankets from thrift shops for batting. When the cat gets adopted the mat goes home with them. Needless to say I have recruited my friends to help me.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,199
    I didn't make 100 but I did make 25. I think they really liked the embroidery (just a simple Made For ___).

    I don't get to the yard sales enough but when I have stopped, I never see fabric. I did see a blanket once but was a little unsure about it.

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    Thank you for bringing this conversation to the site. I am going to make some simple bedding mats for the shelters. I have some of the "What were you thinking" cheap fabric that I no longer want. This sounds like a great way to use up some of it. And I have a bunch of smaller pieces of batting that I just couldn't bring myself to throw away. I figure if I just cross hatch across the area, it will be held in place enough for the dogs to enjoy, and still be washable. And, because I know dogs will scratch at any bed that is made for them, I am going to use very tiny stitches for the quilting, otherwise, they might tear a toenail off.
    I felt the same way. So glad to see it brought up here...so many quilters/sewists here, it's a good audience.

  16. #16
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,199
    Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    They like towels too for bathing the dogs. Cats, not so much. I made my cat a sleeping bag when he had to stay over night. He likes to snuggle under quilts. Figured that gave him padding in the cage, smelled like home and he could snuggle in it. It was cold and raining when I picked him up so I just slid him inside and carried him to the car. Vet really liked it too.
    I read that about towels...makes so much sense doesn't it? Sometimes you can pick up towels on sale. They need so many things for the upkeep, etc.

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    I would definitely ask them what they need. They know better than anyone what works for them. I have dropped off my old towels and rugs and blankets and they were very happy to get them. I have some fabric that I will not be using, scraps from curtains etc and I never thought about them for the dog shelters. The dogs will have wonderful bedding if I make them that. Thanks for the ideas.
    The crates they use at the local shelter have a lifted bed area that is covered with some kind of carpet/fabric material so they won't really use the little beds in the crates. But I was told there are other area where they can use them. They seem receptive to anything, but I was in there later afternoon, and the staff volunteer who does the laundry just asked to make sure it could be washed. That's when I regrouped with the flannel/muslin blankets for them.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bright, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    776
    I make dog/cat beds by stuffing pillowcases that I pick up at about 50 each at the local Thrift shop. I use scraps of fabric and batting and don't worry about the sizes since the animals like to "adjust" to suit themselves. Everything is washable. I have also made larger dog beds from cotton drapery material that I was given. Stuffed them with mostly batting otherwise they got heavy. Again washable. I've been supplying the local vets office and the local Animal Rescue.
    If you make it know what you are doing LOTS of people (quilters especially) are happy to save their scraps and fabrics from sorting their stash. Right now I have about 9 bags of stuffing for pet beds plus some pillows and old comforters and blankets.
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

  19. #19
    Super Member Tink's Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,692
    I sew together a bunch of polar fleece scraps and back it with either a larger piece of polar fleece or flannel. They love these at the shelter. I make them in 2 sizes about the size of a smaller pillow case. and the other is about 30" square.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

  20. #20
    Power Poster lynnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    24,599
    Blog Entries
    1
    I make stuff for my kitty Zoey all the time. she really likes the puff quilts. if you have extra, make some of those.
    also, wash cloth size is kinda small for a kitty. i'd make them at least 14 x 14.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    8,824
    Blog Entries
    14
    I too make stuff, get sheets from goodwill to use as backing! Ive picked up old blankets, LOVE the idea of one made out of scraps! What a great hobby you have chosen, like others and i do save all scraps, fill pillow cases i get those for 25 cents at thrift stores so if its thrown away after so many uses its a 25 cent pillow case n scraps. i have made covers for them though so they can remove cover and wash them for a bit . Have fun ! :-)

  22. #22
    Super Member vickig626's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    1,062
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
    My shelter is pretty happy to take anything. I used to make pet beds but started thinking that maybe laundering these could cause a problem. I did mention it to a staff member, and they did state they don't have the best laundry equipment. So I started making pet blankets out of flannel on one side and muslin on the other (a kind of warm/cool idea). I end up making them about 36"or so square. For larger animals, they can use them as is, for smaller then can fold them up easily. And laundry shouldn't be a problem. Some turned out pretty cute, so I embroider Made for (name of animal shelter) to show ownership.

    I have seen people drop off sheets, etc. But the shelter also likes to get paper towels, cleaning supplies, etc.

    Serita
    I've started making pet beds for a local pet shelter too. The gal I work with actually placed an ad in their "freecycle" group asking for fabric donations (we have a lot here in MI - just google "freecycle" and your city). She did specify non-smoking homes. When she brought it to me, I was overwhelmed with 4 large plastic bags FULL of fabrics.

    I sorted through what was usable for the outside part then what could be cut up for stuffing (like polyester or very thin fabrics to give you an idea). Then, I cut to various sizes and serge around the 3 sides, fill it up, serger it closed (or just hand stitch if it's too hard to handle under the serger). You can use any kind of thread to stitch closed.

    As for washing.....I posed this question too. She said when the pet is adopted, they offer to send the bed with the pet. Or, once the bed gets to dirty to use, they just toss it.

    Hope this helps. I really need to find more time to work on these since so many shelters need this. The only concern for some shelters is for those animals that like to chew or eat things so they find other beds for these little stinkers LOL
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Greer, SC
    Posts
    214
    I think you're so wonderful for doing this!!

    Cindy

  24. #24
    Super Member wendiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    No. California
    Posts
    2,098
    I've always worried that the way dogs scratch at their bedding to "rearrange" it, that they will scratch a hole and then the scraps will be harmful. This is not a worry????

  25. #25
    Super Member jetayre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    2,301
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks everyone for the input...I think I am going to put fleece or flannel on one side and toweling on other. That will give them a warm side and even a towel side. I am starting tomorrow. Found some scrap fleece. Maybe I can do two or three.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.