Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another good for you, not so good for your pocketbook.

just an aside, if your Check Engine Light comes on, you don't have to go to the dealership. Go to a big chain auto parts store, they have a machine that can read the error code and tell you if it is serious or not, for free. Mine has been on for 6 months, they said it was an O2 sensor and not a big deal.

Some gas companies are adding more ethanol to the gas then they did before. Some vehicles may not be as sensitive to it as others but it still corrodes the engine.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 07-03-2014 at 10:24 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    My check engine light is on and has been for a while now. My "at work son" checked it and said it was the 02 sensor and not to worry. I had my catalytic converter go out last year and was told at the shop that ethanol was very bad for your car motor. I've been buying 100% gas ever since. I live in a very small town with only 3 gas stations and they all have the option of 100% gas. It usually costs about 40 cents more than ethanol. I also get better gas mileage with 100% gas.
    TwandasMom

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    I can't remember the last time I saw gas without ethanol, so I went searching. According to 3 websites I checked showing where you can buy ethanol free gas, less than 5% of stations nationwide offer it these days. There are none within 75 miles of me. Luckily, none of our vehicles or mower seem to care.

I suppose since ethanol is made from corn, here in southern Illinois we will use it. Anything to support farming.

the govt. increases the gas taxes to "support" the " farmer". You and I are paying for it. I, too, live in the middle of an Illinois cornfield. I am surrounded by corn grown specifically for ethanol production. You cannot eat this type of corn.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verna2197 View Post
    Downloaded this app, can't figure out how to use it. Put in my zip code which is in Tennessee but it keeps bringing up the east coast. Not sure if I like it or not.
    So I Googled Pure Gas, and came up with 'pure-gas.org' and it has more information on this. Sorry it's not working for you...it seems that it covers much of FL...which is where we are...but it seems to allow folks to add and subtract gas stations from the site. But my apologies as it only works on Apple products and it seems to only cover FL. I didn't know that when I posted. It seems like there would be stations in Tennessee that had non-ethanol gas. Scarlet 14 uses a product sold at WalMart...maybe worth a try.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Didn't know ethanol is supposed to be bad for your vehicle. Living in the Midwest, we promote this fuel! I recently have been consciously using more ethanol gas and find it has significantly increased mileage reported by my vehicle. Too, I'm going to suggest you try a different gas station. With my previous vehicle that service engine light came on when I gassed up at a certain station. I found I needed to nix purchasing there and stick with one "brand" gas.

Blog Entries
    For those of you on the water, be aware that ethanol gas used in boats and other water vehicles spells trouble with a capital T. We were told to avoid ethanol gas when we bought our boat and, if we had no choice but to buy ethanol gas, to be sure to add a product called STA-Bil to avoid problems. Even here, where water is everywhere, ethanol free gas is hard to find.
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

It's not only bad for cars, but I am having to get all my lawn care equipment gone through year. The tech said its the new grade of ethanol, It gums up the works. But then we all know the Government knows best. After all this is making more jobs for mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    G o v t.

Sandy
    Try agriculture lobby, the people who grow corn and found a whole new market for it if they could get their members of Congress to mandate using corn for gasoline instead of for food. Isn't the corn belt in the midwest? What would happen to the farm economy if corn farmers lost the gasoline market? Don't misunderstand--I'm not for using corn for gasoline and never have been--but government would not have mandated that use if it had not been for American farmers (maybe big corporate farmers) who profit from it. froggyintexas

When wintering in Fl our boat motor had a problem -- really was gummed up so it was proven we had to use the
    non-ethanol gas which cost an extra 40 cents a gal but at least if we drive 7 miles north in busy area there is a station. Hubby not happy with gas companies. Going to mention to dh about our other equipment as so far no concerns

Blog Entries
    my Honda says to make my gas cap turn to hear three clicks. very hard to do with my hands but I do it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2