Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another good for you, not so good for your pocketbook.

Another good for you, not so good for your pocketbook.

My car's check engine light kept coming on. Finally found a tech that figured it out at the dealer's. He said vehicles are coming in with problems due to more ethanol being added in the gasoline. Ethanol will eventually corrode the engine. He reset the light and said use non ethonal gas for a tank and see if the light comes back on. It's been three tanks full and no light. DH filled up with the gas we usually use and the light came back on. Why is this stuff being pushed as better? Better for the people that make it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

That's good to know.
    I have the same problem.
    First we did a tune up. Stayed off for a while and came on again.
    Then we cleaned the injectors, stayed off for a while and came on again.
    Then we put in a new battery and stayed off for a while and came on again a couple of days ago.
    They do it to get business and your money!
    I'll watch the gas I use. I did use shell high test for a couple of tanks and I don't know if that has ethanol in or not. Will check.
    The Jeep is a 2005 so it did need those things but ................
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

I am not sure if I could find a station that doesn't have ethonal in it
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

I heard that 10% ethanol is fine, but 15% causes the problems you're seeing. I believe this is a federal mandate, so look it up.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    My husband puts ethanol free premium gas in my car, because he's a smart cookie and knew the problems ethanol would create. Many towns do have ethanol free gas at various stations. There's an iPad app called "Pure Gas" that helps find these gas stations. Ethanol attracts moisture and deteriorates rubber seals in the fuel system. While the premium gas is more expensive and can be hard to find, we think that in the long run the price of the gas will more than pay for itself.
    Edited for clarification.
    Last edited by coopah; 07-02-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

G o v t.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    ethanol? Now i know I dont' need diesel gas but ..... ethanol? didn't know it was in my gasoline at all anyway.

There are several stations in my town that have the no or low ethanol and it's a small town so they are out there.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Is that the alternative gas? That stuff ruined the engine in sons car!

Thanks for the information.
    Now to find some fuel without ethanol.

Ethanol is a big rip off! And, yes, it's govt mandated.
    It will ruin engines in lawn mowers & weed eaters too.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can't remember the last time I saw gas without ethanol, so I went searching. According to 3 websites I checked showing where you can buy ethanol free gas, less than 5% of stations nationwide offer it these days. There are none within 75 miles of me. Luckily, none of our vehicles or mower seem to care.

I suppose since ethanol is made from corn, here in southern Illinois we will use it. Anything to support farming.

My check engine light comes on when the attendant doesn't put the gas cap back on tight, when it comes on I redo the gas cap and after a few hours the light goes off.

I did not realize regular gasoline has ethanol in it.........oh my...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

http://www.gafunds.com/download/2147...rt-Ethanol.pdf

Got me curious - here is just a bit from "the google". Apparently we have been using it for a while.
    Alyce

My granddaughter had her engine light go on. She went to a mechanic and opened the door to her gas cap and gave the cap a couple of turns and the engine light went off and has not come back. He told her that after getting gas you should give the cap at least two more turns after the gas cap appears to be tight. Have heard this advice before and it works
    Carmen E.

My car give me notice if the gas cap is not on right. It shows up on the screen on the dashboard like a text. Sometimes it's annoying like the rear left speaker is turned off, the passenger door is unlocked, etc.

Most truck stops have low or not ethanol gas. Business can't afford to ruin their trucks.

There is a product out there called Startron Enzyme fuel treatment---we buy it at Walmart---takes the alcohol out of the gas---we use it in everything---mowers --trimmers-- jet skis--motorcycles-etc---was told to use it in our Harley at first and now we use it in every thing that runs on gas---trust me this really works---we also try and buy the lowest ethanol fuel possible---we buy it by the case

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    My husband puts ethanol free premium gas in my car, because he's a smart cookie and knew the problems ethanol would create. Many towns do have ethanol free gas at various stations. There's an iPad app called "Pure Gas" that helps find these gas stations. Ethanol attracts moisture and deteriorates rubber seals in the fuel system. While the premium gas is more expensive and can be hard to find, we think that in the long run the price of the gas will more than pay for itself.
    Edited for clarification.
    Downloaded this app, can't figure out how to use it. Put in my zip code which is in Tennessee but it keeps bringing up the east coast. Not sure if I like it or not.
    I collect Seraphim Angels

They've been using ethanol in gas for over 20 years and the only time I had trouble with it, was when I had my old Healy(1966). We don't have a choice on choosing since there's only 3 gas stations in our town.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for info. I have Jeep 04. Will have to let DH know. Techs have never been able to figure out at dealership we took to.

I was in Tenn (Cosby ) couple years ago and there's a station there with no ethanol....but that's a long drive from me!
    I think if it's less than 10%, it's safe.
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

I use ethanol gas all the time here in Iowa. The only time my check engine light comes on is when I don't screw the cap back on properly developing a gas pocket of sorts and sends a signal to the computer. The gas cap has a plastic string or whatever you want to call it attached to it so you don't lose it and if it gets caught under the cap which mine has a couple of times in the past, that's the only time my check engine light comes on. Never heard this other idea before, but thanks for the tip.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    I just had some work done on my car, so it was close to the 3000 mile oil change so I had it done. Well 3 days later I filled up and my 'check engine light' came on. All my fluids are where they are suppose to be. I mentioned this to my nephew and he double checked my fluids. Well my SIL came in and said she stopped to fill up and a block later her light came on. She pulled over and checked her oil and all was fine.We get our gas at the same station so I wonder if they increased the ethanol. I will have to check this out before filling up again. Thanks for the heads up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast