Another name for Grandma?

Old 04-30-2011, 06:18 AM

My grandchildern and greatgrand children call me Baba and my husband is Zeda. My husbands family were chec and that is grandma and grandpa in their language.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:21 AM

Your best bet would be to talk about this with them. I a in a marriage where we are a blended family and My "stepchildren" and their children call me grandma. This makes their Nana mad because she tells them I am not their grandma but, they tell her that I have been their grandma all their lives and that is that.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:23 AM

My grandchildren call me different versions of Nana, but the choice is entirely their own. Is it possible for you to ask your husband's son to suggest a name that he and his girlfriend would be comfortable with? Good luck and hopefully you can enjoy this time!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:25 AM

To my grand son in Colorado, I am Meema, to my other grand shildren I am grandma. I'm happy to answer to both! :D
Old 04-30-2011, 06:28 AM

My Grand kids call me Grammy. And I just love it. Alot of things when they are hurry I hear Gram
Old 04-30-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
My husbands son and daughter-in-law's children call my DH Grandpa Ben. They were told by our sweet DIL that I was NOT their grandmother and to call me by my first name. Thank God I am getting my OWN first grandchild in May and will finally called grandma!!
This is sad since in todays society remarriage is a norm. some of my GKs have 4 sets of grandparents and they handle this just fine. To y DDs kids I am grandma, their dads mom is granny and her husband is poppy, their fathers dad is called grampy and his wife is nanabar. My ex and his wife are grandpa Charles and grandma Hazel because my children were raised by my husband and he adopted them when they were young. We try to keep all of them connected to every one of us as a different part of their lives.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:31 AM

My grandchildren have grandparents on both sides, so they refer to me as Grandma Karen. I recently visited with my son's family in Texas and hadn't seen my youngest granddaughter (she's 4)in a couple of years. She forgot my name at one point so I said "you can call me just plain old Grandma."
Well that night as she was going to bed she said "goodnight plain old Grandma." LOL
Old 04-30-2011, 06:38 AM

I chose GRAMS but my daughter emails me GRAMZ ?????
Old 04-30-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
My husbands son and daughter-in-law's children call my DH Grandpa Ben. They were told by our sweet DIL that I was NOT their grandmother and to call me by my first name. Thank God I am getting my OWN first grandchild in May and will finally called grandma!!
I feel so badly for you! Why can't a child have a bunch of Grannies? and Poppsies? They can't get too much love!
This world has sure changed and it is sad. There is so much "I have to have control over everyone."
I am blessed with four wonderful grandchildren who call me different loving things at different times.
We all started with Grandma + first name, so I was Grandma Phyllis and my daughter-in-law's mom was Grandma Lainie.
Then we went to Mama.....both of us....our grandchildren made the change. With my Jersey boys, we have been Grandma now for a couple of years but with my Florida grandchildren who are much younger, I have been Gramma, Gramma Phydus, Phydus, Bubbie, and currently....are you ready?? Babalushka! The three year old loves the silly sound to it and she smiles, ear to ear when she says it! The just two year old boy calls me Ma.
I don't care what they call me as long as we all love each other. Sometimes the older boys call me by the other grandma's name and visa versa. We both tell them that is wonderful because we know they love us all the same. Being a Grandparent is the most wonderful gift. BTW, Pops is ALWAYS Pops to all of the kids. See? Men don't change. Only women do!!! Oh, one other grandma is Nanny. She chose that and it has stuck. I play with all of them the most so they play with my name the most. I take it as a sign of love.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:08 AM

My niece calls my sister nina or there is memaw.Probably not the way you spell them but for pronunciation purposes it looks good.On another note my dd got married 4 years ago and her husband told her that when he got divorced he had it put in the divorce decree that no one else could be called dad or mom. First response from me was you can't help what a child will call you . Needless to say they now have my beautiful first grandbaby and I told her that when he starts talking the other kids are going to either start calling her mommy or the baby will pick up when he is old enough to call her Jonna ,they have the two kids 5 days a week during school year and then full time almost in the summer. All I can say is ,it is a messed up situation .