Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any of you put a magnetic closure in the Bow Tucks? >

Any of you put a magnetic closure in the Bow Tucks?

Any of you put a magnetic closure in the Bow Tucks?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 AM

Default Any of you put a magnetic closure in the Bow Tucks?

I am wanting to do that but I can't figure out at which point I do that. I know before the lining and bag are sewn together, but????
Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Sounds good to me
Old 09-19-2012, 10:05 AM

I've only done the snap closing which kind of acts like a magnetic closing. Those are pretty easy you just have to rember to wrap the tape measure with duck tape so that it doesn't cut your fabric.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:05 AM

there is a "sew-in" magnetic available at Nancy Notions, have not seen it at local stores yet.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 AM

The magnet is all I use in my bow tuck purses. It is the next to last step in the purse. After everything is finished and you are ready to sew the turning hole in the lining, you put in the magnet closures. If you haven't used batting on your lining it is best to iron on some reinforcement at the area that you are planning to put the magnets.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Not following you, and that is what I can't visualize....I'm using the 687 pellon on the bag and the lining. If I have both bag and lining sewn around the sides and the bottom, except for the "turning hole" ....do I just attach it to the bag, then the unfinished magnet would be inside covered by the lining.????
Old 09-19-2012, 03:00 PM

Okay, I always put magnets in my bow tucks bags. But I haven't made one in 6 months so I forgot the sequence. I know you don't want to wait too late to put them on and I am thinking it might be before you sew the outside to the lining. You just have to measure carefully so you don't put them too high on the lining (I have done that and it is very hard to sew over a magnet). Also you have to allow for the 1/4 inch topstitching after you turn the lining to the inside of the bag. So find the center of the lining, allow about 1 inch from the top of the raw edge of the lining and attach the magnet with the washer on the pellon side. Does this make sense? When I get home today I will look at my pattern more carefully and if this is not the right instructions, I will let you know.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
there is a "sew-in" magnetic available at Nancy Notions, have not seen it at local stores yet.
I've seen them at JoAnn's too.

I used a magnetic closer on a mini-bow tucks and it worked fine. You just have to be careful not to cut the fabric too far.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:21 AM

I lost this post for a couple of days, since it got moved!! lol I made another Bow Tucks yesterday but I just was afraid to try it. I still can't figure out when to try it!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 AM

I have made several and have used the magnetic closure on all of them. I usually attach it to the lining after quilting it, (I use the Pelon as well) but before sewing the lining pieces together. Just find the middle and mark about an inch down from the top on each piece. I also attach a small piece of template thin plastic on the back side of the lining for reinforcement so the closure doesn't eventually go through the lining.