Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody know anything about growing cotton? >

Anybody know anything about growing cotton?

Anybody know anything about growing cotton?

Old 04-08-2011, 09:20 AM

I find it interesting that you would ask about growing cotton on a quilting website. Wouldn't you get better result by using Google?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:21 AM

I just wonder whether it will work like gas prices..goes up but never seems to come down!! :lol:
Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Such as... when is it planted, and how long into the growing season is it until you know whether you will get a good crop or not?

Wondering when we will start to get solid information about the 2011 cotton supply.
glad I read further than the topic title! I thought you were thinking of growing your own cotton so you could make your own fabric. I know prices are high but WOW that would be a lot of work! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-08-2011, 09:23 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I find it interesting that you would ask about growing cotton on a quilting website. Wouldn't you get better result by using Google?
We have people on the forum from all over... so I figured there was enough knowledge here that someone would know the answer, from first-hand knowledge.

Besides... we work with fabrics that are cotton, so there is a solid connection! :)
Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 AM

When I read the title of the thread, I wondered how much land you had and thought now THERE'S a dedicated quilter....lol.

There is some very enlightening information in this thread. Interesting question.

Last year we went to NC in late October. I had never seen cotton bolls in the field - it looked like most of it had already been harvested, but there were still some here and there. My DH pulled off the road and picked a couple bolls out of the ditch, and it is now tucked behind my thimble shelf. :)
Old 04-08-2011, 09:39 AM

We have people on the forum from all over... so I figured there was enough knowledge here that someone would know the answer, from first-hand knowledge.

Besides... we work with fabrics that are cotton, so there is a solid connection! :)
I thought I did give you an answer by suggesting that you use Google for your search. :lol: Just because I sew with cotton does not mean that I know how to grow it. ;-) I've sewn with hemp, but I don't have a field of marijuana in my back yard.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
I was just talking to my local quilt shop owner and wndered if there was a way at home to work the cotton from plant to batting. I know I could sit here and get the old fashiond sinners to make thread. I could possibly get into the looming, and dyeing of fabrics. we both thought it would be a neat idea if we could make it work.
Have you checked with your local Extension Services Bureau. They have awesome classes ranging from Androids to Zebra care.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:21 AM

I personally think that by asking about growing cotton here on the QB is a good idea. The people here have first hand knowledge of when its grown and harvested.

I thought she was going to grow her own cotton too. And then sell it to all of us for really cheap!!! But then I got to thinking....I haven't a clue on how they make fabric out of cotton balls. LOL.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:37 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I can't believe you thought I wanted to grow my own cotton!

ROFL!

Seriously, I'm dedicated... but not quite THAT ambitious! Though... if it is a deer-resistant crop, maybe I should consider it.

But... didn't Scarlett O'Hara get terribly unladylike hands from her season picking cotton at Tara?

Oh, right, we have better garden gloves available these days.

This was definitely my laugh for the night!

And TonnieLoree, I really should see what Google has to say about cotton planting and harvest time. I've never sewn with hemp... and I don't have a marijuana patch (though I did grow a look-alike aralia houseplant until the spider mites killed it)... but I did find a batik fabric with marijuana leaves on it! ;)
Old 04-08-2011, 04:49 PM

Hubby is doing some field trials in the new varieties of cotton ... he said most commercial cotton will be planted in May.