Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone excited about getting the Kindle Fire today? >

Anyone excited about getting the Kindle Fire today?

Anyone excited about getting the Kindle Fire today?

Old 11-17-2011, 08:02 PM

Nope, not too long. I could go on and on about how I love this Kindle. One thing I was afraid of is that it wouldn't work with tethering on my cell phone because there had been some posts about it being doubtful and someone who got theirs the day before me said it didn't work with his phone WiFi. Well, I turned on the WiFi hotspot app on my 4G phone and it works fabulously! Now I can use my phone to download things and access the web when not near a hotspot or on my home WiFi.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Power Poster

I decided I definitely needed the cover that holds the reader. I ordered the sleeve which is fine for protection when tossed in a bag. The cover makes holding the reader easier and more comfortable. The covers are almost works of art in themselves. I have been playing with the Fire since this afternoon. I am very pleased with it. I borrowed a book from Amazon Lending Library, downloaded a game, a few apps, and watched a movie on Netflix. I also can go online and read this board, check my email, and browse. I don't need my laptop except for EQ7. LOL I bought my young niece the $79 Kindle and she loves it. If it gets lost/stolen/broken it's isn't a big money loss. If you want to read books, borrow books it is a very good value. The other Kindles have the audio book option. I have so many free Kindle books on mine it's like being in a book store. I hope the quilting magazines get on the ball and get their magazines in e reader format and e reader low cost.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:58 AM
Banned

Hello I have an I-pad and I have Kindle on it. I want to put either ebooks or audio book on my Ipad and the lady at
the library told me to d/l media overdrive which I did but I cannot figure out how to put them on my ipad.
I need a step by step instructions. HELP thanks a bunch
Old 11-18-2011, 05:04 AM
BMP

Since I am a total dummy about these things, I would like to know more about the Kindle Fire as compared to the Color Nook...I am hoping to one before vacation.....
Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

The best way is to go to Walmart and use the different Kindle models. Then go to where they sell the Nook (Best Buy?) or a Barnes and Nobles and play with one of them. I don't know of one store that sells both. That would be nice.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 AM

I have the basic Kindle and use it for professional reading so that I don't clutter up the house with that type of book. When I am reading for pleasure I want to savor the book and that means that I want to touch it. I am also a reading teacher and know that learning to read is a tactile experience. Kids need to touch books to really learn to read it has to become a relationship. There are many studies that show that ereaders slow down reading ability and speed.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:57 PM

Do these readers make anyone nauseous and dizzy? I have major issues reading on the computer and can only read for short periods of time or I get very sick. I'm afraid the readers may have the same effect.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Schools will go to e readers for text books. It saves the school thousands of dollars. Money rules in budgets. Finding a local bookstore in most mid to small size towns is rare. The majority of young kids only have reading books for pleasure at school or from the public library if they have someone that will take them. I was astonished at the parents that did not provide books to their kids when I volunteered for HIPPA. Maybe one home out of ten had any books at all in them. If the child only has access to a free simple e reader that holds hundreds of books it's better then not having books at all. The reader charges by electrical plug, no computer needed. The closest McDonalds (every town has one) has free Wi Fi to download books and the schools all have computers with internet.

The Kindle Fire has options to change the page brightness, fonts, typeset, color of page from white to ivory to black. I haven 't noticed any difference from reading on it from a real book.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:06 PM
BMP

Schools will go to e readers for text books.

I am not so sure thats a good idea, who pays for them when the child has lost/broke it ?? I dont think kids need another techie thing ....JMHO.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

The basic e readers will be free if the school signs a contract with one service to provide the content (the school board here is already looking into it) and will be issued like school books. If lost the parents will be responsible to pay a set charge, just like for a lost school book. No more heavy back packs or locker full of books!