Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone have any idea?

Blog Entries

Anyone have any idea?

This is totally not related to quilting but so many folks on the Board have so many ideas I thought I'd ask anyway.

I will be going to my son's wedding next month and bought a cute dress for the rehearsal dinner. It is very wrinkled but is what I believe is called a "broomstick" dress. If I iron it, will it ruin the broomstick effect or should I just leave it alone?

This dress was a true bargain at our local Marden's store, Mainers you know what I'm talking about. I was able to get it at a huge discount and it only cost $4 so I couldn't pass it up but now I'm really not liking the wrinkled look.

If worse comes to worse, quilting material :-)

I think the way to straighten those is to wet them and then twist them up again. Then open and hang to air dry.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think sewbizgirl is right. Another method is to hang it on a hangar, spritz it with water and let it dry. I have also hung up a skirt like this in a steamy bathroom to get rid of packing wrinkles.

If you take out the wrinkle effect the extra fabric will probably balloon and sag from all seams. For $4 you haven't lost anything by trying out different ways to manipulate the fabric. Oh for the record, does anyone remember what anyone wears at weddings unless the wedding pictures are looked at. Quick, the last wedding you attended what did the mother of the groom or bride wear? LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I haven't had a broomstick skirt since I was in my 20s. I too think sewbizgirl is right.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My DD had a long skirt like that and the only way to keep it looking good was to wet it twist it and let it dry then shake it out very good.

Just leave it alone...it's supposed to be wrinkled. As you said it's cute! Add some great jewelry and rock your bargain!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
    Just leave it alone...it's supposed to be wrinkled. As you said it's cute! Add some great jewelry and rock your bargain!!
    Yep...I have a similar dress to wear to my stepson's wedding in October, very 'hippy'/'witchy' with uneven hems. I have a cute velvet jacket my mother gave me for a birthday present to pop over the top, a beaded bag from an op shop which I am re-vamping (new lining) and all I need now is the shoes. As Anniedeb says "Rock your bargain"!

When I had some skirts like that, I washed them and twisted them and put a rubber band on the hem so they would not unwrinkled. If you liked the dress when you bought it, why would you change it ? (My right side brain here).

It is supposed to be wrinkled, if it's not wrinkled evenly all around then wet it and twist it, then shake it out. Just add some accessories, maybe a bright statement piece, great shoes, little clutch bag and you'll look fantastic.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Wear it like you bought it.

Blog Entries
    I have several broomstick skirts and to keep the "wrinkles" looking like they belong there I store them in in old pantyhose legs instead of twisting them. They pack well this way, and at home I just hang several of them from a hangar. The silk ones tend to get the pleats/wrinkles squished when I sit in them, so I mist the area with a spray bottle of distilled water (for no residue) and then hang in the stocking until dry. (I also use the spray bottle of distilled water to spray in the air at home to add some humidity when it's too dry, and to remove static cling.)

I would wash mine then take one leg of a pair if panty hose and pot over it and hang on a hanger to dry then stored it the same way.

Blog Entries
    *** They are back in style.
    *** I saw some at Hancocks a little while ago.
    *** Love them.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Blog Entries
    If it is cotton, or rayon, and you wash it according to label directions, and don't twist it to dry it, biut shake it out real good, and hang it on a plastic hanger to dry, it will appear less "just got out of bed". I did that to a sundress and liked it much better. If it can go in the dryer, just tumble it dry will also release some of the crinkle.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.