Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone have tips on making a garment protector for makeup? >

Anyone have tips on making a garment protector for makeup?

Anyone have tips on making a garment protector for makeup?

Old 12-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Default Anyone have tips on making a garment protector for makeup?

I like to wear white turtlenecks. Discovered the hard way that my blush has a tendency to drift downwards when I apply it. I need to make a clothing protector for myself. Have been using a hand towel draped around my front, but it is not the right shape and annoyingly slips out of place. I'm thinking of cutting a hand towel as the front and sewing weighted strips to flip over my shoulders. I'm thinking this would be fast to put on and take off and reasonably easy to store.

Does anyone have a better idea?
Old 12-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

I made my own hair cutting cape and something like that will work, just make it shorter. I used a rectangle of fabric, folded it in half and used a dessert plate to trace half a circle on the fold. I cut from the circle down one side and sewed binding down the raw edges and around the neck. I attached a Velcro tab at the neck edge.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

This takes me back many years .....................
Cut a circle of fabric (plastic was what was used way back) that is broader than your shoulders.
Split in the centre with a hole in the centre that will fit your neck.
(Kind of like a mini Christmas tree skirt).
Then use a piece of bias binding to sew around the neck hole, with enough extra on each end to tie together to close.

Of course as quilters, we would probably make it into a mini quilt .... quilt it up and bind the outside edge of the circle too.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Tuck your collar inward. Make sure after applying your makeup, you wash your hands. Whether applying makeup with a brush or your fingers or make up sponge, you will get some residue on your hands. You could make a small cape for applying your makeup and get nothing on your clothing as well. Make up splatters and floats. If you have an old shirt or blouse or use your towel an cut and sew like this. The neck on this is 21 inches. It's a haircutting cape from my beauty salon days. It's 41"x41". Just cut a slit and attach the strip of Velcro. I would make sure it came to your waist atleast.[ATTACH=CONFIG]501960[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails make-up-cape-001.jpg  
Old 12-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

I use this a lot. It's about 20+ years.
Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Tuck your collar inward. Make sure after applying your makeup, you wash your hands. Whether applying makeup with a brush or your fingers or make up sponge, you will get some residue on your hands. You could make a small cape for applying your makeup and get nothing on your clothing as well. Make up splatters and floats. If you have an old shirt or blouse or use your towel an cut and sew like this. The neck on this is 21 inches. It's a haircutting cape from my beauty salon days. It's 41"x41". Just cut a slit and attach the strip of Velcro. I would make sure it came to your waist atleast.[ATTACH=CONFIG]501960[/ATTACH]
Old 12-09-2014, 03:29 PM

I would probably just grab one of DH's old shirts and call it good. Wouldn't necessarily need to put your arms in the sleeves, just use it kind of as a drape and button the top couple of buttons.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:53 AM

An adult bib using Velcro type fastener.........or put your makeup on before dressing, then put a silk-type scarf over your head/face - and then slide top over that.....that's how I would dress in morning when I worked and had to wear makeup and have perfect hair.....thank goodness those days are over...just soap and water.....and a flip of head...all done!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:40 PM

A large square silk scarf, which you can also wear works well.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:47 PM

My first thought was a circle of flannel(which would cling a little to turtle-neck) with an opening for the neck.