Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arthritis suggestions, please

Arthritis suggestions, please

I have fingers on both hands that have old arther in them. I can not bend them all the way to make a fist . So, I am having a little trouble picking up things and using my scissors. Any suggestions to help?
    Annie

Annie, I don't have any answers for you but I am getting arthritis in my hands, too, and it makes me sad to think how this will eventually affect my sewing/quilting. I hope you get some good, helpful suggestions here.
    Jeanne

Blog Entries
    I used to run warm water over my hands when I first got out of bed. also try Aspercreme on your hands. or TigerBalm (non staining). exercises during the day, stretching your fingers and rubbing the muscles. my thumbs are very bad now and i keep having to push my thumb joint away from the palm and rubbing the muscles as best i can. Good luck.

I have had arthritic hands for years. I have two suggestions: first and foremost is to keep them moving. Yes, exercise. Keep those joints moving or they will not move. Spread your fingers as wide as possible, then crunch them, flex them. Do this when you are watching TV. Do it one hand at a time when you are reading. Do it morning, noon and night. After awhile, if you are at all like me, you will have unstraight, but flexible fingers. In the meantime, you may also find taking turmeric (mostly curcumin) extract helpful. Available at health food stores. That seems to reduce the swelling slightly and is soothing.
    Last edited by alwayslearning; 06-16-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: correct mistakes
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Blog Entries
    My husband takes tumeric every day. The has the druggist to compound his. He says it helps. I don't know. My fingers are getting arthritis too, but I don't have time for it. ha. Just keep on keeping on. I know putting them in hot water, then in ice water helps.

I take New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel. Get it form the Health store and also salmon oil. Started when I first noticed my fingers getting sore. I think it has helped, I am no worse anyway :-)

I have had RA for 43 years and what I do is soak my hands in hot water several times a day and open and close my hands and do hand exercises while my hands are in the water. I also have one of the hand wax machines where you melt the wax and dip your hands in then take your hands out and let it cool then peel it off. My Dr. told me when you stop exercising your joints they will freeze up, so keep them moving even though it hurts.

Many insurance companies will pay for joint replacement surgery in digital joints just as they will in knee and hips. At least that is what my doctor tells me. I have only had to have the knee done so far.

This may or may not help, but tart cherry juice helps with joint inflammation and glucosamine sulfate helps too.

Blog Entries
    when doing anything like sewing or cutting I take several breakes and heat up 2 small rice bags in my mic. and take about 10 minutes just setting and relaxing while I wrap my hands in rice bags I also recently got a pill for nerve pain for my back it seems to help my hands as well. As others have states keep your fingers moving use them or loose them

I see you were asking about scissors - I use a pair of Fiskers that are spring loaded so much easier to use than a conventional pair as you don't have to apply too much pressure to cut with and because they are spring loaded you don't have to 'open' them.

Quote Originally Posted by anniesews View Post
    I have fingers on both hands that have old arther in them. I can not bend them all the way to make a fist . So, I am having a little trouble picking up things and using my scissors. Any suggestions to help?
    Annie
    I had to laugh (tho I have osteo in my right knee & my back & k=now this is no laughinh matter)... my Mother always referred to her arthristis as "old Arthur". I hadn't heard that in eons. We had a discussion a while back here on the board about it in our knees & you might find something helpful in that thread. Here it is --->

http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...w-t186518.html
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne W. View Post
    Annie, I don't have any answers for you but I am getting arthritis in my hands, too, and it makes me sad to think how this will eventually affect my sewing/quilting. I hope you get some good, helpful suggestions here.
    I have it in my back & my right knee & it certainly has affected my sewing ability. Which is really crummy because I find being sick depressing enough & then not having my sewing as a stress reliever is doubly icky. But my knee dictates how much sewing I can do. I just have to accept & adjust to that. But it still hacks me off... LOL!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ rebecca

After I had a flare-up my doctor recommended my taking 9 fish oil capsules per day - 3 at each meal to avoid stomach upsets. Have had no problems so far. She advised me that the fish oil is a natural anti-inflammatory. Of course, I generally buy them when there is a discount as I think they are over-priced.

Thank you all so much. Guess "old Arthur" gets to us all. I will certainly try the suggestions offered. I do even in church sit and flex my fingers to keep some movement but I like all of the suggestions and am willing to try everything. Can't give up my sewing. As one said, that is my fun, stress relief hobby.
    Thank you all.
    Annie

The middle finger and the one next to my pinky finger would lock and hurt. This was getting worse, so when I went to the ortho doctor for my knee replacement check-up I asked him what would help this. After examining my fingers he said I should try cortisone injections and if it didn't help contact a hand physician for replacement. Wellll I don't want finger replacement, but I did consent to the injections. The first two days aftewards they really hurt and were swollen, but on the third day they were great! DOn't know how long it will last, but so far I can even bend them into my palm which I haven't been able to do.

Blog Entries
    Vick salve works wonders! GiGi

I've had osteo-arthritis in my left knee and in my feet. My right ankle was surgically fused about 15 years ago and the arthritis in both feet is awful! My left knee suffered because of all of this. I've tried almost everything -- but I have found the best so far to be Glucosamine Sulfate with Condroitin in tablets (2 a day), along with a dr prescribed Voltaren and now recently added acupuncture to it. The acupuncture, if done in conjunction with a physical therapy office or dr, is covered by insurance -- so I only have to pay the $20 co-pay each treatment. I can say I can actually feel the pain leave my body when I have a treatment! There are some things that really affect arthritis and make it worse like humidity, eating too much acidic food like tomatoes, and alcohol -- (that kills me especially since I enjoy a couple of glasses of wine on a Friday night after a long week of work).
    I hope some of this helps all of you. The acupuncture is absolutely painless, treatment lasts a little over an hour, and if you can relax yourself to a state of sleep -- you get the best treatment.
    Good luck!

And I have artritis in my left jaw. Reading all the suggestioin but don't think it's possible to soak my HEAD in hot water! Getting a brace to use at night from special dentist. Good luck everyone!
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Blog Entries
    All good advice! Cinnamon bark seems to help me, along with yoga--of course mine is in my back.
    every cloud has a silver lining but sometimes it is hard to get to the mint

So glad to read all of the hints for dealing with arthritis. I knew that I needed to keep the hands moving, but some of the other advice is new. Last week I started crocheting a baby blanket for my niece and I've noticed some stiffness and soreness (no surprise) so I will follow everyone's advice and hope that will help. You're the best!
    Sheri (zkosh)
    Those who can, teach. Those who can’t teach get into some less significant line of work.

Hi Annie,

Have you ever heard of MMS? (Miracle Mineral Solution). I use it for arthritis. Also what helped my knees (I could barely walk from the pain in both knees), is something called Diatomatious Earth. A few tablespoons of that a day for a few weeks completely healed my knees. Yippie, no knee replacements for me!

A google search on both these things will give you information on them, and I won't have to write a book here...lol

Note: both these things are "alternative" health remedies, and are very very cheap. I got the MMS at Ebay and the Earth on Amazon. Both last a long time.

Hope this helps. I tell everyone I know about these two remedies.

Levada

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcurious View Post
    This may or may not help, but tart cherry juice helps with joint inflammation and glucosamine sulfate helps too.
    I take tart cherry juice concentrate everyday - twice a day - 1 TBLS. I can testify that it really helps. Mine are Montmorency cherries -- not sure if this makes the difference, but that's what I was told. I can get it at my local market, but it's also available on amazon.com.

Blog Entries
    be sure if you take something orally that you let your Doctor know. good days!!

Blog Entries
    Ask your rheumatologist for a consult to an occupational therapist for some ideas or splints. Mine offered to write one last month but I said" "no. Next appointment I am asking for a consult....
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast