Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Arthritis suggestions, please >

Arthritis suggestions, please

Arthritis suggestions, please

Old 06-16-2012, 07:11 AM

Default Arthritis suggestions, please

I have fingers on both hands that have old arther in them. I can not bend them all the way to make a fist . So, I am having a little trouble picking up things and using my scissors. Any suggestions to help?
Annie
Old 06-16-2012, 07:21 AM

Annie, I don't have any answers for you but I am getting arthritis in my hands, too, and it makes me sad to think how this will eventually affect my sewing/quilting. I hope you get some good, helpful suggestions here.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I used to run warm water over my hands when I first got out of bed. also try Aspercreme on your hands. or TigerBalm (non staining). exercises during the day, stretching your fingers and rubbing the muscles. my thumbs are very bad now and i keep having to push my thumb joint away from the palm and rubbing the muscles as best i can. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:43 AM

I have had arthritic hands for years. I have two suggestions: first and foremost is to keep them moving. Yes, exercise. Keep those joints moving or they will not move. Spread your fingers as wide as possible, then crunch them, flex them. Do this when you are watching TV. Do it one hand at a time when you are reading. Do it morning, noon and night. After awhile, if you are at all like me, you will have unstraight, but flexible fingers. In the meantime, you may also find taking turmeric (mostly curcumin) extract helpful. Available at health food stores. That seems to reduce the swelling slightly and is soothing.

Last edited by alwayslearning; 06-16-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: correct mistakes
Old 06-16-2012, 07:48 AM

My husband takes tumeric every day. The has the druggist to compound his. He says it helps. I don't know. My fingers are getting arthritis too, but I don't have time for it. ha. Just keep on keeping on. I know putting them in hot water, then in ice water helps.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:54 AM

I take New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel. Get it form the Health store and also salmon oil. Started when I first noticed my fingers getting sore. I think it has helped, I am no worse anyway :-)
Old 06-16-2012, 08:21 AM

I have had RA for 43 years and what I do is soak my hands in hot water several times a day and open and close my hands and do hand exercises while my hands are in the water. I also have one of the hand wax machines where you melt the wax and dip your hands in then take your hands out and let it cool then peel it off. My Dr. told me when you stop exercising your joints they will freeze up, so keep them moving even though it hurts.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Many insurance companies will pay for joint replacement surgery in digital joints just as they will in knee and hips. At least that is what my doctor tells me. I have only had to have the knee done so far.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:47 PM

This may or may not help, but tart cherry juice helps with joint inflammation and glucosamine sulfate helps too.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:43 PM

when doing anything like sewing or cutting I take several breakes and heat up 2 small rice bags in my mic. and take about 10 minutes just setting and relaxing while I wrap my hands in rice bags I also recently got a pill for nerve pain for my back it seems to help my hands as well. As others have states keep your fingers moving use them or loose them