Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Babies! Just in time for Easter.

A couple weeks ago my neighbor called early in the morning. He was clipping a pasture and had partially run over a turkey nest. :( The hen flew off at the last minute and that's the only reason he stopped the tractor and saw the nest. Thankfully many of the eggs were still intact. Knowing the hen would not come back to her destroyed nest, he asked me if I wanted to try and incubate them. Of course I took on the task and have had the eggs in the incubator for two weeks now.

I had no idea how long the hen had been setting the eggs so I didn't know how long they had to go before hatching. I candled them but turkey eggs are more difficult than chicken eggs to see through and I couldn't get any real idea as to how far along they were. This morning in a half sleep state I heard loud peeping. I instantly sat up and ran into the laundry room. There in the incubator were two chicks flopping around and carrying on. I don't think I really expected any to hatch so I was very excited.

As of right now I have four that have hatched and three more in the process of pecking out of their shells. My fingers are crossed for as many to make it as possible. I'm hoping to raise them up and turn them loose outside once they've matured. What they do from there will be interesting. (I've read they're likely to hang around where they were hatched and raised. I don't really want a group of wild turkeys as my yard pets. :shock: But I think they're likely to wander off with the other wild turkeys around us here.)

First two this morning
    Name:  Attachment-188125.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  49.4 KB

Power Poster
    How cute! Congrats your a mom! What a great thing you have done.

Blog Entries
    Very cool Rachel! I hope your kids are enjoying watching them. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Looks like fun to me! So cute! How many eggs all together did you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Very cool Rachel! I hope your kids are enjoying watching them. :thumbup:
    The kids are excited beyond belief! My oldest has asked about the eggs about 20 times a day since we got them. He has his stool next to the counter and has peaked in on them steadily. :) He's so curious about all aspects of life. Last year I hatched out a batch of chickens and he remembers that, but it's amazing what a difference a year can make on his learning and grasp of information. I guess the same could be said for me. :D

How exciting - little ones for Easter. What a great experience for the children.

so sweet.

So sweet. They're so tiny and fragile. Best of luck in raising them. Please keep us posted.

We are incubating eggs at our preschool and the kids can hardly wait, The turkeys are great. the one we had last year was so noisy, Peep Peeep Peeeeeeep. Louder and louder. He hatched with 6 ducks so he thought he was a duck. Was very sad when they were in the water. Have fun.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Rachel, that sounds like such fun!!! You just made my day.........life is beautiful in so many ways!!!!!!!!!!
    Let us know what you name your "pet turkeys" when they get bigger lol :D:D

Blog Entries
    how cute!

I think what you did was truly amazing and kind. We are talking about Wild Turkeys, aren't we? Because they are wildlife, you might want to contact your conservation/forest officials about what you have. Explain the situation to them, they might be able to help you with things that you can use and do as they get older.

What a great way to start off Easter morning. I remember we had incubators in the basement, and my Mom had so many chicken , duck and goose eggs in there. I felt so sorry for the little one trying to get out , so I helped them break out their shell.

Cute!

Blog Entries
    Awwww they are adorable :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Rachel, that sounds like such fun!!! You just made my day.........life is beautiful in so many ways!!!!!!!!!!
    Let us know what you name your "pet turkeys" when they get bigger lol :D:D
    There will be no naming. :) Seems I've settled out with 11. Out of 13 eggs that is a really great number. Never ever would have though that many would hatch. Both the ones that didn't hatch made it full term because they began pecking out of their eggs, but died in the process. That makes me so much more sad than when an egg just doesn't develope. To think they made it all the way to the end, but just didn't get out of the egg. I understand that's all a part of life and nature though.

We will do our best to get these guys up to a safe age and then we'll turn them loose. I'm going to encourage as much natural behavior as I can (roosting at night, ect.) so they hopefully will do well on their own outside.

As for contacting local wildlife officials, I'm a bit hesitant to do that. To the best of my knowledge it's actually against federal law to keep any species of animal that is naturally occuring in your area. I would never disturb a healthy nest and I wouldn't have took these eggs if I thought the hen would return but the law is the law. I'll just quietly do my good deed and hopefully help the turkey population in doing so. :)

Blog Entries
    that's such a great story. :) You did a great thing!

Blog Entries
    CUTE babies!!!

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiane318
    I think what you did was truly amazing and kind. We are talking about Wild Turkeys, aren't we? Because they are wildlife, you might want to contact your conservation/forest officials about what you have. Explain the situation to them, they might be able to help you with things that you can use and do as they get older.
    This is a great suggestion. On the other hand, you might want to check the local laws to make sure you aren't breaking them before you call the officials! LOL. Aren't they so sweet?!?

Well would you look at that! Amazing!