Bag home parties

Old 11-27-2013, 04:08 PM

Default Bag home parties

I have been to a few bag, purse parties...cheap stuff that cost alot...for those here that make bags and sell...why not do home parties...I bet you would do well.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

yeah, but you know the story, at least here. I hear lot of, o I could make that. how much is that???
when it's made, people want it really cheap, but have no problem paying Louis vittone 800 for a wallet
Old 11-27-2013, 04:32 PM

So very true. Makes me wonder what goes on in their heads...probably nothing!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:14 PM

I am sure a lot of us have run across this when selling our home made items. I would have to say, we in general are the ones to blame. I think we tend to undervalue our own work, which then teaches others to undervalue our work.

I set the prices on my quilts and other hand items rather high. Based on a $20/hr labor price, and retail on materials. I do not get a lot of orders but I always explain how long and how much skill is involved.

I personally think once we as crafters start valuing our own work and teaching others the value in our work, then we will see the prices go up and less people expecting cheap costs for homemade. I guarantee you Louis Vuitton values his work enough to slap those outrageous prices on them our work is no less than his,
Old 11-27-2013, 05:30 PM

I understand how things should not cost a fortune...but I don't understand how they thing their commercial stuff is more than quality homemade stuff.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-27-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: language
Old 11-27-2013, 08:42 PM

I make things because I enjoy doing it. I can sew as often as I want and I can go for several days without evening glancing at my machine, if I wish. Making bags to sell at home parties would seem a bit much like work.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:02 PM

I work with a young crowd , in fact besides one I am the oldest in the whole department (50yrs old) it seems these females are all about the name of the product, these girls are all about the status that the name of the product gives you . They actually laugh at me sometimes because I have not been to a mall in 4-5 years and have never heard of half the stuff they go on about .While I would love to be able to do this because I like making bags that I don't even carry I don't know anyone that would be interested , well maybe if I promised lots of drinking , the other thing they go on and on about LOL.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:59 AM

YES! Making bags for home parties would be like having a job, & I believe would take the 'fun' out of it, at least for me. YEARS!! ago(40?) when foam cutouts with magnets on the back for the fridge were all the rage!! I made some for my friends at work(a sewing factory) and everyone started asking for them..THAT"S ALL I GOT DONE!! & it was not fun anymore...never did that again!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

We mostly as women are so used to being devalued, that we have fallen into the trap of thinking we are no better than others think we are.
Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
I am sure a lot of us have run across this when selling our home made items. I would have to say, we in general are the ones to blame. I think we tend to undervalue our own work, which then teaches others to undervalue our work.

I set the prices on my quilts and other hand items rather high. Based on a $20/hr labor price, and retail on materials. I do not get a lot of orders but I always explain how long and how much skill is involved.

I personally think once we as crafters start valuing our own work and teaching others the value in our work, then we will see the prices go up and less people expecting cheap costs for homemade. I guarantee you Louis Vuitton values his work enough to slap those outrageous prices on them our work is no less than his,
Old 11-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
yeah, but you know the story, at least here. I hear lot of, o I could make that. how much is that???
when it's made, people want it really cheap, but have no problem paying Louis vittone 800 for a wallet
You are right...No one wants to pay what it is worth...